Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midwifery in TCD

Options
  • 03-03-2009 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all. Anyone doing Midwifery or applied this year? I've applied as a mature student. Fingers crossed I make it? Any advice????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

Hi Terric
    I am starting Midwifery this year, in UCD, as a mat student also... I deferred my place last year!!
    have no advise, just wanted to wish u good luck in the apt. test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I did it this year but dropped out(don't let that put you off). The thing I liked least was that it's not as rewarding as it seems but I'd still say it's a good course (just not for me obviously). It's all quite interesting but some of the lectures are deathly boring. It's quite a hard slog and attendance is complusary for almost everything. About the mature student thing you'll be fine about 10 of forty were mature and even most that weren't had done something else last year.
    It's a nice course though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

illiop wrote: »
    I did it this year but dropped out(don't let that put you off). The thing I liked least was that it's not as rewarding as it seems but I'd still say it's a good course (just not for me obviously). It's all quite interesting but some of the lectures are deathly boring. It's quite a hard slog and attendance is complusary for almost everything. About the mature student thing you'll be fine about 10 of forty were mature and even most that weren't had done something else last year.
    It's a nice course though

What? They make you clock in to lectures???

Cantab. wrote: »

i doubt they make u "clock in" but i do know that most of the course is compulsory, I hear they are very strict on attendance, which to be honest, is only fair - think of the profession you are studying for? It would be wrong to be missing out on many important lectures!
    I hear its a very very complex course, and has to be taken 100% seriously

Lilliop, do u mind me asking if you were a school leaver or a Mat Student when you started the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I was a school leaver; only three or four of us were direct school leavers.
    And they make you sign in attendence and after a while they brought in a rule that if missed the first ten minutes It counted that you had missed the whole class. you're allowed to miss something like 5 days a year or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Cantab. wrote: »
    They do in DCU for General and Children's Nursing! So it may well be the same for other courses/colleges.

ah I see!

I must admit, I dont think i would have been able for Midwifery in college straight after school at 17 either.. its not a course to be taken lightly. i cant speak in detail about it, as I have yet to start - I am starting this year..
    I think its reasonable to be expected to attend all lectures, and punctual!!

I would imagine its going to be very difficult juggling, college, study, children, house etc.. but I am really looking forward to it.. I enjoy a challenge :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TERRIC

My brain, like the global economy, has gone into meltdown!! Doing the test on Saturday and can't bear to look at another verbal/numerical reasoning question/example... Is this normal? When, if any of you ever did this, did you just stop/turn off and turn up for the test. Just don't think anything can help any further at this stage. Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Just remember it's pronounced mid-wif-ery and not mid-wife-ery

Mark200 wrote: »
    Just remember it's pronounced mid-wif-ery and not mid-wife-ery

NICE - but saturday is the aptitude test so she wont have to be worrying about pronouncing "Midwifery" just yet

Terric, if i were u i would throw in the towel now regarding the studying, u have obviously done lots, if u are going into meltdown.. now is your time to have a bath, and relax as much as you can, is there anymore u can do that u havent already done? i doubt it at this stage
    My advise - have a very early night tomorrow night and a nice brekkie with a strong cup of coffee on sat morning

Please let us know how u get on
    Good Luck x x

• Advertisement

Didn't sleep much....!! But have switched off from it all now. Not holding my breath!! Skills - good, Verbal - goodish, Maths - v.good. Computer will be the final judge, I guess!! Take Care and thanks for good wishes. xx

Passed the test and did my interview. Not sure how it went really. Felt fine leaving but who knows what they feel once you're out the door!!

Anyone else?

Patience not one of my strong points. Won't hear re. interview pass/fail until 22 June and then 4th July for offers. A time machine would be nice...!!! Anyone any idea what points might be for mature midwifery this year? Think I know the answer really, just hate the wait and uncertainty...!!! Anyone else on here applied?

results arrived early. passed interview and got my score. anyone else? feel like i'm the only one here...!!! Is there anybody out there??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SandraD77

Terric, how did you get on? I'm hoping for Childrens & General! Got 179pts and though it was 168 lsat year, is bound to go up a good bit this year with places been cut from the programme! Gutted if i don't get it :( Still fingers crossed for you that you make your Midwifery!

Hi SandraD77

I scored 186. Really pleased but nervous about points shooting up. How many places are there for Children's & Gen.? You should have a good chance. Best of Luck. xx

Hey Terric,

Not sure there where 5 last year and that'll be cut to about 3 this year, so that could easily put me outta the running! But I have general as a backup! (I say that like that's a shoe in *lol*) WHY OH WHY was it the year I decided to do it that they cut the places! Any other year i'd have been ok! Ah well best we can do is fingers crossed! But with 186 points you should have no problems? Where did you apply? I'm TCD!

SanD

Hey Terric,

Not sure there where 5 last year and that'll be cut to about 3 this year, so that could easily put me outta the running! But I have general as a backup! (I say that like that's a shoe in *lol*) WHY OH WHY was it the year I decided to do it that they cut the places! Any other year i'd have been ok! Ah well best we can do is fingers crossed! But with 186 points you should have no problems? Where did you apply? I'm TCD!

SanD

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

Hi,

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I cannot find the answer to my enquiry anywhere.
    I want to apply to TCD as a mature student to study Midwifery.
    How much does the degree course cost per year?
    Also, you work in a maternity hospital/ unit while doing the course, is this right?

Hi Laydee

Yes you do placements in a maternity hospital (I'm not planning on doing midwifery, but as far as i know it's the Coombe and/or Rotunda!)

As for cost, not sure, check out http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education

Check out http://www.tcd.ie/Nursing_Midwifery/assets/docs/Research/women_maternity/Midwifery%20FAQs.pdf and http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/az/course.php?id=189 for details on Midwifery in TCD!

Hope that helps
    :)

• Advertisement

Thanks SandraD77, those links were very helpful.

One part confused me a bit though...

You are not required to pay tuition fees if you meet certain criteria.
    I do meet the requirements, does that mean I am entitled to not pay tuition fees or do they select certain students to offer this to?

Is there any other cost other than tuition fees?

Hiya Laydee,

I'm no expert at student finance or course fees, but if you're still unsure contact TCD to check your eligibility for free fees! As far as I know (and I may be wrong), but nursing is considered part of the civil service and therefore has always been exempt from "tuition" fees (other than the standard college registration fee - usually about $800+ pa) You can also check out http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9386/undergraduate-courses-of-not-less-than-two-years-duration-in-colleges-in-list-1/index.html for some more info! But honestly if you're concerned contact the college and they'll let you know!

Another link to TCD treasurers office outline fees for EU and non EU students is http://www.tcd.ie/Treasurers_Office/fees/fees_ugdegreefees.php but i'm not sure that applies to Irish students!

Hope that helps!
    SanD

Thank you Sandra, you are a star ;)

SandraD77

Looks like its just you and me on this thread. Just wanted to wish you (and all those lurking!!) the best of luck for tomorrow. Everything crossed we all get what we're looking for... Let us know how you go... xx

Got TCD - My first choice. Thrilled to bits!! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭estreet girl

Me too,first choice Midwifery in Trinity!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 misschatty

well done to those who got a place, i didnt but will keep fingers crossed for 31st see if it turns anything up. If not will keep tryin wont put me off, i want this too much for that!

Congratulations on getting your 1st choice.
    I hope to be in your place this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i see there have been no posts on here in a while but hey... i'm midwifery in TCD this year too...mature student also!

how many of you mat students are already working in hospitals?

Advertisement