Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm looking to stay in London (Easy access by tube to SoHo area) for a week and I was wondering if anyone knows of any affordable hotels or accomodation that offers a week stay at a low price?

I recently stayed in the Travelodge Tower Hill (that isn't near Soho, but the hotel is right beside a tube station, so you could be in the West End in 10-15 mins). We paid £39 per night. The hotel has recently been done up and was really fresh and clean. It obviously doesn't have a lot of fancy extras, but it was more than adequate for our needs. The bed was really comfortable and the room and bathroom were spotless. www.travelodge.co.uk there are other locations in London, but they can vary quite a bit in price. They are doing a £9 sale at the moment, so you could really luck out, depending on when you're going!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Hey Im flying into stanstead soon and have to make my way to Hammersmith, Ive done it before by train but found it quite expensive, It was £28 return. Is there any bus service that can get me there for cheaper or is train and tube my best route??

Thanks

Nappy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You could look at Easybus

http://www.easybus.co.uk/

Can be quite cheap (4 pounds return) if you book far enough in advance. Drops you to Victoria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

penexpers wrote: »
    You could look at Easybus

http://www.easybus.co.uk/

Can be quite cheap (4 pounds return) if you book far enough in advance. Drops you to Victoria.

Terravision also go to Victoria www.terravision.eu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Hi anyone,
    I was wondering if there were any Irish bars around the King's Cross area of London (plus people's reccommendations on any of them). I ask because for the France v Ireland match in Paris, we stay Tue night in London in King's Cross! So excited!
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Are there any good hostel/hotel offers for a private room for 2 people?

looking for a saturday and sunday night in november, really just need a place to sleep.
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Hey im going over to london for halloween and need somewhere to stay, going with girlfriend so cant stay in hostel really. Need somewhere nice and also eay on the wallet. Also its west london near hammersmith, anywhere near there would be perfect. Any recommendations or suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Cheers

Nappy

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Adria hotel, just beside Hammersmith Main Station station. Stayed there loads of times. Nothing fancy, centrally located, very clean and reasonably priced. Tell Marko who runs the place Qprmeath sent you and he will look after you.

http://www.adria-hotel.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

You might have a look at the mega thread at the top of the page, maybe mods can merge this one.

OP, if you have a look at my post in the mega thread, excxellent hotel only three tube stops from Hammersmith on the Picadilly line. Feel free to ask any other questions.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055517217&page=7

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

I am heading accross the pond in late November and was wondering which of the 3 airports Ryanair serve is most conveinant to central London.

I have looked at Gatwick and Stansted and they both operate rail services to central London for about 28 STG which happens to be more than the airfare :(
    Luton doesn't appear to have a direct link!

Does anyone know what Ryanair charge's for these rail tickets ?
    I have seen previously from there blurb where they sell them at 'hugely discounted' rates :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

If the flights to Gatwick and Stansted are the same, I'd go for Gatwick as you can also get Southern or First Capital Connect services from Gatwick to Victoria or London Bridge for a lot cheaper than the Express service and you're usually only a few minutes longer.

Check your times here
    www.tfl.gov.uk
    and prices here
    www.nationalrail.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Luton have a shuttle to the train station and then the train into St. Pancres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Luton have a shuttle to the train station and then the train into St. Pancres.

This is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

You can buy the Stanstead express and probably other tickets in Dublin Airport at the Ryanair desk as you walk towards pier A and D.

Generally cheaper and payable in Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭gavney

there's a bus available from Stansted also afair. it's pretty cheap. takes a bit longer though

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

It can also depend on which side of London you want to get to. IMHO Gatwick is the most connected and the train station is right under the airport. There are regular trains serving London Bridge (35 mins) and London Victoria (about the same I think) and one way tix are about £11-12. The London Bridge train is served by First Capital Connect and goes through London out to Luton Airport (although you have to get a bus from Luton Airport to Luton Airport Parkway train station). Gatwick Express also available to Victoria but just take a Southern train if going there as it's cheaper and only a few mins longer.

Stansted Express (train station also under the airport) is about 45 mins and goes to Liverpool St and a bit pricier than the regular trains from Luton/Gatwick. If you're going to west London you'd be best to take the bus from Stansted to London Victoria (about an hour).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

As outlined previously, there are other mainline connection options from Gatwick that are cheaper and better (particularly if going to the North or East of London) than the routes into Victoria.

First Capital Connect have trains that run through to Bedford every 15m, calling at East Croydon, London Bridge, Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon and St Pancras (Kings Cross). Single any-time fare is £8.90.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Atreyu

Heading to London for a few days over Christmas it's been 10 yrs since last visit. Looking for somewhere Central as no doubt the missus will be shopping till she drops.

Any recommendations would be most welcome

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

http://www.london.hotelsoffer.com/index.php

Ive used this website before. It generally has good offers. Ive booked the Express by Holiday Inn in Hammersmith on it which is a decent hotel fairly close to everything and it wont break the bank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Jenna

Dirt cheap flights to London in January as usual. If I go does anyone know a really good reasonably priced hotel? Like maybe 4 star but more likely 3 star? Also, any recommendations for restaurants?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Plenty of recommendations in this thread - but also it might be useful if you gave people a price range/area/things that interest you..they might have more luck matching you up with a place that suits your needs.

Otherwise it's all just guesswork

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

Hi, travelling to london for the weekend,fri to mon,with my wife and 3 kids(9,10 and 13),anybody know whats the best ticket for the underground?Probably stay in zones 1 and 2 with 1 trip to zone 5(northolt).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

The first underground station you go to, look for a machine where you can buy an oyster card, should only cost you about 2/3 pounds. If you cant find the machine ask at the desk. When you get the card go over to the top up machines, and put 10 or 20 pounds on it. The all you have to do is scan this card when going through the turnstiles at each station. Much cheaper than buying tickets and you will see when you are there that everyone uses the Oyster. Plus it works on buses

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Here is a good start - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

I'm not sure if you'll need 5 Oyster cards, probably due to the check in/out nature of it.

Oyster fares are hugely cheaper than individual tickets, usually 70-80% cheaper.

You can pickup the cards either in shops or via machines, I think it's £5 each but this includes £3 credit and as mentioned also covers bus transport.

Top up machines are available in all tube stations as well, just touch the card off the reader to see what your balance is.

Enjoy London :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Children under 12 travelling with their parents don't need a ticket, so don't go off buying 5 Oysters whatever you do.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Hi ppl,
    Just a quick query, flying to standsted in a few days. Not been there for years, the flight back from Stansted is at 6:20 tues morning. The first train leaves Liverpool Street at 4:40, how long's the trip from the station in Standsted to the Ryanair gates, is security likely to be slow that hour of the morning? Wondering if I can take the train or is it cutting it really tight and would I be better off getting the coach from Liverpool St an hour earler?

Flying into Stansted at 23:10 on the 21st can i still book the express tickets for that day, If i don't get to the platform before midnight for whatever reason will I not be able to travel?

Also any recommendations on bars/clubs to hit Fri and/or Sat night? Somewhere along the lines of Cafe en Seine or Bruxelles maybe! Staying in Liverpool St area so gather I won't find much there! If I'm likely to be needing a taxi back after the night out (presume tubes will have stopped) how expensive will it be?

Cheers if anyone can help.

Sp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ProperDeadly

All I can help you with is the taxi fare! think it was around £13 for a taxi for 2 from leicester square area to liverpool street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Hi.

Im going to London early December. My two year old is a train fanatic and I would like to take him on a steam train while there. Can anyone supply any info on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hi.

Im going to London early December. My two year old is a train fanatic and I would like to take him on a steam train while there. Can anyone supply any info on this?

The only one I can think of is the Watercress line in Hampshire. you would need to get the train from Waterloo to Alton, which takes between one and one and a half hours. http://www.watercressline.co.uk/ it looks like trains only run on weekends in December, but they are Santa Specials so it could be a special occasion.

For train times from Waterloo to Alton, use www.nationalrail.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Hey,
    im going to london this sunday flying into heathrow at 6.30pm so wondering wheres good pubs and clubs to go?
    Also i havent booked my hotel so what would be good ideas for shopping and ease of getting around

Advertisement