Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blasphemous libel proposal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Is it specifically for christians? It reads to me like its blasphemies of things considered sacread by whatever ones faith?

I can't help but feel suspicious about it anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

This has got to be some sort of a joke.

€100,000 fine.

Whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

One way of reading this is that a minister who offends Muslims by saying Mohammed is not God's only prophet could be prosecuted.

Dermot Ahern is an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

JimiTime wrote: »
    Is it specifically for christians? It reads to me like its blasphemies of things considered sacread by whatever ones faith?

I can't help but feel suspicious about it anyway.

It seems to for anyone who seeks to offend the sensibilities of any given religion. That would make the A&A forum a pretty quiet place. Better get all my blasphemy in before this goes through.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

The Blasphemy law was invoked a few years back in England when some young lad was arreested wearing a Cradle of Filth "Jesus is a C***" T-shirt.

Not sure what his outsome was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

jayteecork wrote: »
    The Blasphemy law was invoked a few years back in England when some young lad was arreested wearing a Cradle of Filth "Jesus is a C***" T-shirt.

Not sure what his outsome was.
    That slogan could have been dealt with under ordinary decency laws. People have been done for wearing ACAB tee-shirts. How hypocritical that a godless country like the U.K. reached for blasphemy laws.

But to the OP issue: I share the general concern expressed here. This seems a very dangerous tool against your democratic freedoms. You guys know the politics of Ireland better than me - why would a government minister come up with this at this time? Is he just an ass?

wolfsbane wrote: »
    But to the OP issue: I share the general concern expressed here. This seems a very dangerous tool against your democratic freedoms. You guys know the politics of Ireland better than me - why would a government minister come up with this at this time? Is he just an ass?

The evidence suggests so. It's a little baffling, since going by the feedback here the Christians don't seem to want it and neither does anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I'm quite shocked that this is being proposed by the Minister for Justice. I think it is fundamentally unworkable and I don't necessarily see why non-Christians should have to abide by this.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0429/1224245599892.html

This is Ireland - not England. The law here is something to worry about at the point of it being enforced - not when it becomes law.

This is Ireland - not England. The law here is something to worry about at the point of it being enforced - not when it becomes law.
    But why wait till then. Nip it in the bud. We shouldn't have to wait until some cartoonist is being dragged before the courts.

Edit: And save some tax money by firing the people who suggested it.

The evidence suggests so. It's a little baffling, since going by the feedback here the Christians don't seem to want it and neither does anyone else.
    The Christians here don't want it, but the Christians here are generally those who think about their faith.

Ahern's proposal is designed to appeal to unthinking cultural Christians who read the Daily Mail. It is a grubby attempt at populism that deserves to get the boot - as does the ass that has proposed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

PDN wrote: »
    The Christians here don't want it, but the Christians here are generally those who think about their faith.

Ahern's proposal is designed to appeal to unthinking cultural Christians who read the Daily Mail. It is a grubby attempt at populism that deserves to get the boot - as does the ass that has proposed it.

I can't hep but think there's some alterior motive behind though, i.e. its not 'just' an election stunt. Then again, I am wearing a tin foil hat:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 philopus109

Tommy Tiernan is lodging an appeal against the proposal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Wow.

Does anyone like Daily Mail readers...?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

JimiTime wrote: »
    I can't hep but think there's some alterior motive behind though, i.e. its not 'just' an election stunt. Then again, I am wearing a tin foil hat:)

To take our minds off important issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Wow.

Jesus does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

He might be perfect Fanny, but he's not an idiot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Could you please elaborate PDN on just how it appeals to "unthinking cultural Christians"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Phototoxin wrote: »
    He might be perfect Fanny, but he's not an idiot!

I get what you mean but...

lol, God is perfect fanny. [/juvenile]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The Daily Mail publishers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

it seems to me that they may get the law passed but it wont hold up

Corway -v- Independent Newspapers, in 1999, the Supreme Court concluded that it was impossible to say “of what the offence of blasphemy consists”.

• Advertisement

Wow.

Pretty sure even Daily Mail readers hate them.
    robindch wrote: »
    The Daily Mail publishers?

Not a chance! Unless they express their love for people by constantly terrifying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

it seems to me that they may get the law passed but it wont hold up

Corway -v- Independent Newspapers, in 1999, the Supreme Court concluded that it was impossible to say “of what the offence of blasphemy consists”.
    Is that not the point of this legislation? To define what is to be considered blasphemy.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

MrPudding wrote: »
    Is that not the point of this legislation? To define what is to be considered blasphemy.

MrP

And priority number one should be removing blasphemy from any and all legal references.

My views are blasphemous to your religion, should that be a crime to express them?

Your religious views are blasphemous to others religions, should your local priest be prosecuted for blasphemy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Not a chance! Unless they express their love for people by constantly terrifying them.
    Nah, there's lots of people out there who enjoy having the carp scared out of them on an ongoing basis. Feeds their prejudices. Energizes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

robindch wrote: »
    Nah, there's lots of people out there who enjoy having the carp scared out of them on an ongoing basis. Feeds their prejudices. Energizes them.
    Ah, you mean Republicans? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Is he just an ass?

Absolutely, and a very large one, though that wouldn't be the primary force behind this. Apparently theres a constitutional requirement to have such a law. However a commitee recommended some years ago that this section of the constution be confined to the bin.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ahern-defends-new-blasphemy-law-1724069.html

Of course theres no onus on the ass to make it a particularily grevious offence, or to add on such a huge fine. Considering that one can destroy a listed building with far less consequences, its rather ridiclous. The smart thing to do, short of removing that section from the constituion, would be to make it so vague and the penalty so light that even in the unlikely event it was enforced nothing serious could come of it. But, that would be the smart thing to do.
    pts wrote:
    Ah, you mean Republicans? ?

Judging by the recent hullabaloo at Tescos, they don't have a monopoly.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Could you please elaborate PDN on just how it appeals to "unthinking cultural Christians"?

It appeals to those who have little or no commitment to Christ, but see Ireland as a 'Christian country'. Therefore they are prone to kneejerk reactions against anything that they see as diluting our 'Irish heritage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Nodin wrote: »

I was more talking about this kind of Republican, should have been more clear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

pts wrote: »
    I was more talking about this kind of Republican, should have been more clear :D

My apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Groovy Funkster

Nodin wrote: »
    Absolutely, and a very large one, though that wouldn't be the primary force behind this. Apparently theres a constitutional requirement to have such a law. However a commitee recommended some years ago that this section of the constution be confined to the bin.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ahern-defends-new-blasphemy-law-1724069.html

Of course theres no onus on the ass to make it a particularily grevious offence, or to add on such a huge fine. Considering that one can destroy a listed building with far less consequences, its rather ridiclous. The smart thing to do, short of removing that section from the constituion, would be to make it so vague and the penalty so light that even in the unlikely event it was enforced nothing serious could come of it. But, that would be the smart thing to do.

The smart thing to do would be to have a referendum. As a letter writer to the Irish Times said today "We must be a very poor country indeed if we cannot afford freedom of speech."

Even if the fine was reduced to 10 cent and the "crime" was defined in such a way as to make it impossible to bring to court, I would oppose the legislation.

Blasphemy should never be a crime either in theory or in practice.

Advertisement