Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Halvey Sentence **CAUTION** May make you want to break somethin nearby in anger

Options
  • 12-05-2009 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Just heard this on todayFM news. Truly disgusting bit of news.

He was sentenced to 7 months.....suspended!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

OMFG. What kind of message does this send out to people?? Its also two fingers up to the boys family. Is this what the boys life was worth? Christ i'm fcuking disgusted.

For those of you who don't know......He was driving, langers, on his way to Limerick. He hit a young boy just outside Toomevara, killing him. Old link here....http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Eddie-Halvey-back-in-Nenagh.4635642.jp

I nearly tore the steering wheel off my car when I heard it!!! I knew this country was a shambles, but by christ this is taking it too far.

Halvey should have been in a cell since it happened, and he should have been there for 10+ years, rotting. How the fcuk could the judge look at the family of the poor lad while passing this sentence!!!! Just goes to show that in this country, once you have a few connections at all, you're basically bullet proof.

Truly shocking society we live in! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Wasn't it the morning after he'd been drinking, and afaik the car pulled out in front of him.

Still a lousy sentence though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

weeder wrote: »
    yawn

Fantastic contribution to the thread. I take it you work in the justice system seeing as this kind of news is so mundane to you.

Wasn't it the morning after he'd been drinking, and afaik the car pulled out in front of him.

Still a lousy sentence though

Apologies that my original post isn't a verbatim account of the incident, but in a nutshell it's basically what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,919 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Drunk Driving + Casualties = Mandatory Life Sentence. Herro?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0512/halveye.html

Former Irish rugby international Eddie Halvey has received a seven-month suspended sentence after pleading guilty to careless driving and driving under the influence of alcohol.

Halvey was also disqualified from driving for seven years.

The charges relate to an accident causing the death of 16-year-old Kevin Walsh at Coole, outside Toomevara, in Co Tipperary on 1 April 2006.
    Advertisement

Halvey had previously been charged with dangerous driving causing death.

A sitting of the Circuit Court in Nenagh heard that forensic difficulties had emerged in the case and the DPP had accepted the lesser charge of careless driving.

What the fcuk is wrong with your country :confused:

United States Felony DUI
    If a person is convicted of felony DUI for causing great bodily harm to another, he or she is subject to a mandatory fine of at least $5000.00. However, a fine up to $10,000.00 could be imposed. In addition to the fine, there is a mandatory imprisonment of at least 30 days in jail, and that sentence could be increased up to 15 years. A person convicted of felony DUI when that person has caused the death of another is subject to a mandatory fine of between $10,000.00 and $25,000.000. Additionally, that person must be imprisoned for at least 1 year and could be sentenced to 25 years in prison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I agree with you that 7months is a Joke. But i can also take into account the fact that he didnt go out to kill him

Drink driving is a scourge on our society, and i would Implore Judges to Start handing out Serrious sentences. The old fashioned idea of "ah sure, a couple of pints and i'll be grand" needs to be re-written with fact.

When you make that decision to get into your car when you have Drink on you, is neither big nor clever. he has to live with the fact that he has killed a man, directly or indirectly,he took someones life.

personally, i'd charge anyone with attempted murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Fúcking joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

reformed my ass....im from limerick and a pub i work in part time shur he was in there in recent months throwing back double vodkas and red bull like an 18year old party boy.anyone in limerick will tell you he still goes on serious piss ups.what a scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

the lesson here i think is that if someone does something to you, get revenge yourself. sure you'll only be smacked on the back of the hand for murder in this backward kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

" forensic difficultys involved "

ie

he has mates in high places who quashed the lot for him.

a rule for those who have and those who have not .

hopefully a drunk will hit him someday , see how he likes it.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    What the fcuk is wrong with your country :confused:

Is this a genuine question?

His original charge of drunk driving causing death was dropped. That in itself epitomises the nature of this country.

If this case was not a valid "Drunk driving causing death"......then what case is??

I agree with you that 7months is a Joke. But i can also take into account the fact that he didnt go out to kill him
    "Ah sure you didnt mean to kill anyone while you were breaking the law." are you kidding me? Thats why we have the laws! :mad:

Gross injustice imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭baglady

Yes I did want to break something nearby in anger. That is truly disgusting. ****er deserves jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Hopefully he'll get knocked down and killed by a lorry delivering from the brewery.

DUI scum.

Was he drunk as in just left the pub drunk or was he over the limit the following morning and have they said how over the limit he was.

I am very much against drink driving, obviously, as most people are. But I have gotten in to my car the morning after a night out and have probably been slightly over the limit, stupid, I know, but many others are guilty of the same.

I do agree with Agent Smith to a certain extent, the man didn't intentionally kill that boy. If he has half a heart this will torture him for the rest of his life and no sentence is going to bring the child back. Now if he was not remorseful then that is a different story but all the facts really haven't been given to us here.

reformed my ass....im from limerick and a pub i work in part time shur he was in there in recent months throwing back double vodkas and red bull like an 18year old party boy.anyone in limerick will tell you he still goes on serious piss ups.what a scumbag
    I can't tell you what to do, cos I'd be banned.
    I do agree with Agent Smith to a certain extent, the man didn't intentionally kill that boy.

Thats erroneous thinking and pure fallacy. What Driver gets drunk and drives around intent on killing someone?

What Driver gets drunk and drives around intent on killing someone?

well none that's the point and if he was after walking out of the pub and getting into the car I would be protesting to the DPP, but I don't think that's what happened.

I'm simply saying, we don't have all the facts (not that I can find anyway) and he may not have thought he was over the limit. I knew I was going to get grilled for it and that's fair enough, but people do make huge mistakes in their lives and he is paying for this every single minute (as I said earlier - that's if he is that type of person)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

he was drinking afterhours till very late.im sure if you made the garda get the cctv of the pub.its a well known fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

This case has been going for yonks.

The more I heard about it the more I knew there would never be any other outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

DaDumTish wrote: »
    " forensic difficultys involved "

ie

he has mates in high places who quashed the lot for him.

In as much as I didn't like the sentence handed down either, that's a fairly outlandish claim. You may want to add "allegedly" to posts like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

"Ah sure you didnt mean to kill anyone while you were breaking the law." are you kidding me? Thats why we have the laws! :mad:

Gross injustice imo.

Thats why he's guilty of manslaughter. He didnt Go out and Plan to kill him. nor did he single him out to kill.

This case has been going for yonks.

The more I heard about it the more I knew there would never be any other outcome.

well I have to say this is the first I've heard of it so maybe there is more to it that would anger me but based on what I'm reading here I'm not sure what to think.

The family are going through hell thought that much I'm sure of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

He pleaded guilty to the charges (including the charge of driving under the influence of alcohol), and he has a history of drink-driving apparently.

Can't understand people in this thread defending him.

He admitted to drink-driving, he KILLED a 16 year old kid, and he doesn't go to prison. What is defensible in that?

well I have to say this is the first I've heard of it so maybe there is more to it that would anger me but based on what I'm reading here I'm not sure what to think.

The family are going through hell thought that much I'm sure of.

Where have you been living on....Mars??

Especially with a repeat history, I dont see how he isnt serving any prison time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Apparently this guy had previous convictions for dangerous driving?

I'm not too familiar with this case, but from what i've read, it sounds as though this guy has basically walked away scott free after killing a kid, through not through malice, but sheer stupidity.

It degrades humanity really.

I didn't see anything about him having a history of drink driving, and I did query how much over the limit he was etc. I'm not defending him at all. The justice system failed this child by not having the man previously banned if he had a history of drink driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Especially with a repeat history, I dont see how he isnt serving any prison time.

Old Boys Network.

Where have you been living on....Mars??

I genuinely didn't notice it in the news to be honest. And no, I've been living right here on boards lol!!

• Advertisement

I genuinely didn't notice it in the news to be honest. And no, I've been living right here on boards lol!!

Sorry didn't mean to be judgmental but this has been ongoing since 2006!!!

Progress has reported on regularly:confused:

Advertisement