Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAW PLUS

Options
  • 23-05-2009 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

anyone doing law plus??

whats it like? how many hours etc of lectures a week? and study??

what electives did you pick.

any help will be great

cheers
    rhunce

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 areaman_08

hey, i did law plus this year.
    in terms of class hours, it's not very heavy at all. everyone (including law and accounting) has two hours of criminal and contract in both semesters, with an hour long tutorial every fortnight for each. then there's the intro to lawyering module, which was an hour a week in semester 1, then two a week in semester 2. we were supposed to have a tutorial for that, but i think there was only one, to keep an overzealous student happy.
    then there's the electives. i took psychology and the extra law stream. i can give you more info on psychology if you want. the extra law stream took in labour law the first time semester, then commercial law, but i think this will be different for you next semester. law plus will be the only way to take a language with law next year. that's all the objective stuff i guess.
    aside from that all i can say is i've met some great people, and most of my college friends have come from the course. it seems to be easy enough to pass, my lecture attendance was poor and i got through at christmas. i expect to be fine for the summer exams as well, tho that statement will probably come back to haunt me. the only thing is we've had a few people drop out, and apparently there'll be even fewer next year, suggesting it's not for everyone. anything else you'd like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

well i'd like to study german too have you any idea how intensive the german course is? and i know that psychology is in the same group but please tell me about that too.

what were your subjects in secondary school and did they help you decide on your course?

and do you like your course??

thanks a million

i've never heard anyone talking about german, but i do know a few people doing french. they've studied a novel (could be two) and had oral and listening tests. breaks down to around 55% for grammar and novel, 20% for oral, 10% for listening and the rest going to small class tests etc. didn't seem too hectic, but i know a girl who got an A1 in the lc and got a c2 at the christmas, whereas another friend got a B in both. but german could be totally different.

psychology was in two hour slots, once a week, with a tutorial that i think went every second week. i found it to be a nice break from law and it's interesting in itself. i hardly ever went to lectures the first semester and never to tutorials the second. the first semester we did a 50% paper on 'participation in a psychological experiment', plenty of opportunity for the 'i felt, i learned..' crap, the other 50% was a very very nice multiple choice exam, which a glance at the lecture slides will get you through..no negative marking either! the second semester was a career investigation report for 33%, then mcq for the rest, again very easy. the only thing i'd say, and i'm being un pc here is that the course does seem to attract a lot of overly opinionated, loud middle-aged women..if that's your bag, then lucky you. psychology was my best result at christmas, probably will be in summer too.

i did history, business and geography and i suppose that it did, but only because i'd cut myself off from the science avenue altogether, but really i did law because i thought there'd be money in it and the points were achievable :)

and yep, i absolutely love my course. most people i know are relaxed and friendly, and it's not like the stereotype of hiding library books or tearing pages out to get ahead. i know there's at least three exams i wouldn't have had a hope of getting through if it hadn't been for essays borrowed the night before from other people in the course. as i said, it's easy to get through, there's a nice buzz about it and it's got prestige as well.

thats great thanks a million area man.

two last things and then i'll let you go i promise lol

is there money in it?

and id UL a good place to stufy (me living only out the road and all, will i still get the same experience everyone else does even though i'll be living at home)

is there money? i hope so. guess the main problem is that young solicitors who've been laid off already have some experience and by the time i've done with the degree the economy will presumably be back on track (economics wasn't one of my electives, so don't quote me on that) and we'll be competing with them for hires. the other thing to do is to look at it as a good general degree that doesn't necessarily lead down the traditional legal path.

i lived in plassey this year and it was fantastic, so there's no way i can't recommend not living on campus. almost certainly you'd be living in filth, but that's part of the charm i think. if you really want to study, go to the library, there's too many distractions on campus. unless you mean study in the general sense? as in is ul a good university? i think it's great, but i've nothing to compare it to!

• Advertisement

thanks again area man youve been a great help

ok, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

yeah, i did law plus this year..

agree with everything he said..

its a grand course, i picked economics and an extra law..

my lecture and tutorial attendance was slim to non-existent but i hope i did ok, so its not overly hard in first year.

i found it very interesting and grand to study, but as areaman said there is a really high drop out rate, so its not for everyone. If you want to study law, but also want to study some other things outside the scope of law its a great degree.

as for german, AFAIK the law plus german is the same as the law and euro german was. It is a step up from leaving cert, and a lot more work than doing a subject in english like economics, politics or sociology etc, but with a little work it seems to be ok. my housemate was doing law and euro, and once you do the work it seems to be fine. i did german for the leaving and im glad i didnt keep it up in uni, since it seems more hassle than its worth, but i hated it anyway, so if you enjoy it then do it.

that would be my advice. pick the electives that you think you will enjoy, since its a break from the nonstop law that can get boring very quickly, and you will be doing it for 4 years. i did economics and i loved it, no problems with doing it again next semester.

as for UL being a good place to study, i had a class year on campus, the clubs and socs are pretty much all well run and funded, there is a nice atmosphere on campus and the lectures and that are good. couldnt recommend it more.

and yeah, try and live on campus if at all possible.

great advice you guys keep it coming if you think of anything else, cheers

shabouwcaw just wondering what subjects did you do for lc??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

english, irish, maths, economics, chemistry, biology and german..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 _Coco_

I did French as part of my elective and it has really been the most difficult and time consuming part of Law and Euro. And as far as I know from friends who have studied German it is way more intensive and time consuming so I would really recommend you think carefully about keeping up German as your elective with so many other options available in Law plus. I enjoyed French for LC and was good at it so I wanted to keep it up at third level but learning it at uni was different from what I had imaginged it would be. Have a look at the course outline or try to get them in Sept and see if German politics, business, literature etc. (that will prob be there at some stage if its similar to French) are really what you want to study in a language. Usually you dont have to pick electives straight away so you can prob try a few different ones when you start for a couple of weeks and see then which one you think you'd like to continue with.

As for living on campus-do it, its totally worth the experience, even if its only for first year its the best year to do it!

Its a tough area to break into at the mo and solicitors are being let go/getting hours cut all over the place but I think law plus; law and Euro; Law and Acc offers something more than an usual law degree so hopefully that will stand for something at the end of it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 plumlover

I did law plus too, I found it to be a really good course. Do not make the mistake I did though..do not choose Japanese! It is far too intensive to take with law. Japanese moves extremely fast and there is a lot of learning. I changed to psychology- to be honest I don't really like it (but hey its in english) the lecturer changes every lecture which I found annoying.

If you can live on campus, I'd recommend Drumroe.

I studied french, biology, geography, home ec., english, irish, math for the lc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

I'm planning on doing Law plus Economics. Any advice for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 law?really?

I did german with Law Plus this year and I think it was a really good choice. It works really well with law because it's tested more continuously throughout the semester whereas Law is a lot more stressful around exam time. In this way, the workload is more evenly spread! I would definately recommend anyone who had a high standard of german in secondary to keep it up. As far as money goes, law plus will leave us all with so many options that I really don't think we need to focus on anything but getting a good degree! woo for us for making a good choice!

Just to bump this again. Anyone else doing it? When do we decide what plus option we want to do? Will i struggle to get into Economics, is there a large demand for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 law?really?

You choose your subjects like the first week of lectures. you shouldn't havem uch of a problem with the large classes like economics. I think the only one we were told took small numbers was psychology.

and i don't think anyone got turned away from psychology either, as it turned out. look forward to people who you don't know coming up to you in clubs and making the + sign with their fingers..it's a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Seems like this is due for a bump...

Anyone doing the course at the moment? How's it going? I'm hoping to start this year, but I heard from a lawyer friend that Law at Limerick is rubbish compared to Cork and Galway... Posts here seem to indicate otherwise though, so I'm still interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

njd2010 wrote: »
    Seems like this is due for a bump...

Anyone doing the course at the moment? How's it going? I'm hoping to start this year, but I heard from a lawyer friend that Law at Limerick is rubbish compared to Cork and Galway... Posts here seem to indicate otherwise though, so I'm still interested.

Law in UL might not be as acclaimed as Galway or Cork but taking the co-op into account would see it on a parallel with most other colleges, especially in the current economic climate any experience will go very far into helping you to obtain work after qualifying.

P.S. I'm doing Law and Accounting so wouldn't do all the same modules as Law plus but take Criminal and Contract Law with them. Contract can be quite boring most of the time, but Criminal is very interesting.

• Advertisement

Anyone have any ideas which way the points for Law Plus might go? I's gone from 485 to 455 to 440, is it safe to assume points will continue to fall or is there any reason why they might go back up?

Hi njd2010, I would presume the points will stay around the same. The points aren't low because the course isn't of a good quality, but mainly because the prospects for Law are getting lower and lower. However, this should not turn you off the course. It really is a very good, interesting course and the option of choosing two other modules is excellent too.

Thanks! I had been hoping to get ~480 in the exams but one of them didn't go well so now I'm really hoping to get ~450. Limerick just looks so much better than Cork or Galway (at least for me) for law, really hoping the points drop just a little bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

if you think its better for you do it man, had an unreal first year myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 siobhanthemole

Yeah i'm starting in September too, and is it really true that you have to lug in a crazy amount of HEAVY law books to and from lectures?
    just a rumour i have heard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Yeah i'm starting in September too, and is it really true that you have to lug in a crazy amount of HEAVY law books to and from lectures?
    just a rumour i have heard :(

Lies I tells ya, just a few notes printed off Sulis are needed for the lectures.

YAY! Praise be to Jeebas:D

Anyone else get offered a place?

YEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D
    see you on the 31st :)

• Advertisement

Since I got 480 (Looking back I was pretty good at predicting my results :) ) and UCC Law was 480*, I might get offered UCC second round... and I'm not sure if I should take it or not. UL has the benefit of being a nicer campus, but it seems like UCC's more focused degree is more highly regarded... I'm not sure what do :(

Advertisement