Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion and Theology w Rusian

Options
  • 26-05-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

Sorry for another of these types of threads but it's not in the "Got a Q About Trinity..."

Does any1 do this course (mainly the R and T side)?

If so wat do u think of it? Is it enjoyable? What are the classes like? etc.

Thanks for the info.

:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

Im a mature student and will be starting the religions and theology (single honours) this year- id love to hear from any current students aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Mother Duck

Hi guys,

I do Religions as TSM - I really enjoy it, the way I see it presented is as a mix between philosophy/ history/ cultural theory...great if you want to hone your critical thinking skills.

Sure drop me a PM if either of you have particular questions or looking for more info.

MD :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cerium

I'm about to finish my first year doing single honours religions and theology, to be honest I wasn't too sure about it when I started the course, though that being said I've absolutely loved it.

The first year is compiled of your four examined courses, being Introduction to Islam, Jewish Civillisation, Christianity from Jerusalem to Byzantium and Introduction to Theology. The title of each course really speaks for itself, theology involves the study of theological movements from Augustine to Modernist thinkers, and the way they each contributed to religious history.

Then you would have your two assessed courses, meaning there aren't any exams for these two at the end of the year, however there is continuous assessment in the form of essays. These two courses are Ancient Near East and Sources and Documents.
    They're both pretty interesting, although there is a lot of outside reading and I found that they have relatively high standards compared to what I've been exposed to throughout my secondary schooling education.

I 'spose thats an outline. If you need any more help with anything feel absolutely free to ask =)

Hi Cerium,

Thanks for that.

How many hours a week is in the single honours class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cerium

Laura, its about 12 hours a week standard, 2 hours of each subject per week, as well as a tutorial in theology which isn't necessarily compulsory but it helps out a huge amount in understanding the course to write the exams, as our lecturer in Theology didn't exactly start with the basics.
    Otherwise we're supposed to have spent an age in the library between classes, though I got through fine without doing so.

• Advertisement

thats great thanks for that...

can you let me know of any books you have read this year?

Or have you a recommended reading list from lecturers?

Advertisement