Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feral cats

Options
  • 28-05-2009 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

just wondering whats the story in ireland with shooting feral cats not that am planing on shooting any but have a friend in england that shots them and he says its legal over their.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

CZ. wrote: »
    just wondering whats the story in ireland with shooting feral cats not that am planing on shooting any but have a friend in england that shots them and he says its legal over their.

well my story is if they are in a field hunting and not obviously belonging to a nearby house, arent wearing a collar then its v max time!:eek::eek:-shot hundreds in my time and make no apologies for it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Shoot on sight they do alot of damage to young game birds and song birds, just make sure they are feral .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭CZ.

well if i come across any am sure my new swift would do the job on them

CZ. wrote: »
    well if i come across any am sure my new swift would do the job on them

The swift will do justice to a feral cat!- my neighbours cat cleaned out several nests along my hedgerow this year, its amazing the damage just one moggie can do...so its a case of no quarter asked -none given! if I meet one in the field..just be careful not to shoot a cat thats obviously owned by someone if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

The swift will do justice to a feral cat!- my neighbours cat cleaned out several nests along my hedgerow this year, its amazing the damage just one moggie can do...so its a case of no quarter asked -none given! if I meet one in the field..just be careful not to shoot a cat thats obviously owned by someone if possible.

Give them hell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Shoot on sight. End of...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Terminate on sight !

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

they usually have a quick chat with mr Vmax!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

the auld ford focus has notched up a few in her day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

the auld ford focus has notched up a few in her day

You drive around fields after cats??? :pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

This is interesting, there are a couple that constantly use my back garden as a run, I left them alone because I thought they will keep away mice and rats. However, I love to see the small birds around as well, and I feed the birdies through the winter. If they do that much damage I'll dispatch them. Will my 12 foot/pound air rifle with a head shot be enough for the job? I know my 6.5x55 will :D, but the neighbors might be none too pleased!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

chem wrote: »
    You drive around fields after cats??? :pac::D

With a username like his its a wonder he is not after us all :D:D

:D:D

dbar wrote: »
    This is interesting, there are a couple that constantly use my back garden as a run, I left them alone because I thought they will keep away mice and rats. However, I love to see the small birds around as well, and I feed the birdies through the winter. If they do that much damage I'll dispatch them. Will my 12 foot/pound air rifle with a head shot be enough for the job? I know my 6.5x55 will :D, but the neighbors might be none too pleased!

I have two moggies running rampage in my garden a few years back, i try to promote songbirds nesting in my garden and cut hedges and so forth around their nesting time so as not to disturb them , i provide water and food as well and had buiilt up a good stock of birds in my garden, then a neighbour decided to get herself a cat , soon the place was overun with young ones and two were having a great time hunting down songbirds in my garden, i watched one cat catch a thrush in flight !..it was unreal and
    would shock you how agile they really are..anyways i decided i had to get cat levels down and i shot two of them using an Air Arms TX200 air rifle
    one i shot in the head from close range and the other i shot in the heart from about 20 feet , i was using prometheus pellets which are steel with a nylon body and can really penetrate..the headshot cat was an instant kill and was retrieved by my springer:D..the heart shot cat made a run of about 20 feet and over a wall only to roll over dead on the otherside, job done and a handy blind retrieve for my dog;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

TBH if it is a real feral it would have spotted you before you spotted it and wouldn't be active at all hours.

Not all owned cats wear collars, a lot of vets and the like recommend against (but obviously for micro-chipping) against in case it gets caught in something and injures the animal.

If someone was taking shots at my cat I would not be impressed.

TBH if it is a real feral it would have spotted you before you spotted it and wouldn't be active at all hours.

Not all owned cats wear collars, a lot of vets and the like recommend against (but obviously for micro-chipping) against in case it gets caught in something and injures the animal.

If someone was taking shots at my cat I would not be impressed.

Those two werent feral, just the result of an unwanted litter which were allowed to go where they saw fit..if I didnt keep numbers down the place would be overun with them..got another one on my patch recently too, however he will soon be disposed off :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If you know those two weren't feral how do you know they weren't someone's property?

Why don't you catch them and drop them off at a vets to be either neutered and rehomed or humanely put down. A shot is not always accurate.

If you have roads foxes etc on your 'patch' then I doubt the place would become over run with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well, look at it this way: If a dog were allowed to roam free and were causing damage to stock, and someone shot it, you couldn't reasonably bat an eyelid. However, people think it's absolutely okay to let cats do this, and they damage songbird stocks, ground-nesting gamebird stocks and a host of other indigenous wildlife, so as such, if people don't take responsibility for them, and they get shot as a result, it's the owners who are to blame.

If you know those two weren't feral how do you know they weren't someone's property?

Why don't you catch them and drop them off at a vets to be either neutered and rehomed or humanely put down. A shot is not always accurate.

If you have roads foxes etc on your 'patch' then I doubt the place would become over run with them.

neighbours dont claim to own them when asked, so in short order they are disposed off -simple as that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Removed

fodda wrote: »
    And all this gives shooting a great public image and gets fantastic sympathy from the public when shooters start objecting to more gun control and costs imposed on them.

Protection of the environment by control of extremely damaging predators it can't support? Yeah, sounds good to me!
    I wonder what the legalities are of shooting/killing animals not designated as game or vermin.

No such designations as such. We have protected and unprotected species, nothing more. And in any case, if there were a class of "vermin" feral cats would be right up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Removed

I dont think the public has the slightest interest in what anybody may claim to be protecting, they would just side with stopping killing fluffy things.

If it isnt designated on your licence as legal to shoot then where do you stand legally?

Nothing is designated as legal to shoot on my licence. That's the UK system. That's the reason public opinion is an ass, by the way, and needs to be treated and handled delicately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I wonder what the legalities are of shooting/killing animals not designated as game or vermin.

Depends from where you're looking.

A lad i know went to great trouble to fox and dog proof his garden before he got his little one a rabbit.
    A cat killed it when she was only a few yards away , getting water or whatever for him.

Why is there no concern for the prey of these cats!, one of my hedgerows
    which normally supports several nests has had every single nest raided this year and is cleaned out due to the moggie running rampage at the minute, which no one owns when you ask them, this cat has even been getting at nests ten feet up!:(..if cat owners would take care of the unwanted offspring and not just leave them to make it on their own then we wouldnt have these problems..but it seems to be okay to let a litter of kittens wander away and roam about freely..so much for animal welfare;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭crowsnightmare

Does anybody have any recipes for feral cat ? I hate wasting them ? Nothing in the recipe section !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Does anybody have any recipes for feral cat ? I hate wasting them ? Nothing in the recipe section !
    Treat them the same as rabbits, just don't cook as long, and don't forget to remove the paw's or people will know what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Re feral cats: some of the posters on these forums will know I work in cat rescue. In Australia, the country that truly hates the cat. And I own five of my own cats, so I truly love cats.

And I say this to you lot:

Make sure nobody owns it, and make sure you have a clean shot.

A collar is meaningless - all it means is someone owned the cat for the 90 seconds it takes to put a collar on. A cat with a collar can still be feral. A cat without can still be a pet. Check with your neighbours about who owns what cat. Even put posters up before you shoot them.

People need to keep their cats inside.

Feral cats breed like rabbits. They decimate wildlife and spread disease through the domestic cat population. They lead miserable lives that end in violence - either one of you lot shoot them, or someone runs them over (ford focus comment poster, welcome to my radar, you're now on it), or they're caught by dog fighters and used as bait to agitate dogs before a fight - or a coursing hunt - or they're attacked by other animals or people, or they're poisoned...

The list is endless. And I've seen some of the results. And I'd rather one of you bunch shot the ones in your vicinity, quickly and cleanly, than any number of the other ways they die. Yes, the ideal situation is for you to lay out traps and take the animal to the vet who'll euthanise them, but to be honest for a feral cat the stress of being trapped and transported to a vetinary surgeon's offices is hell on earth.

Yes there's a chance you'll miss.

Don't miss, okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The skin properly cured and treated makes apprently the toughest Rigger work gloves you can imagine.They were made so up till apprently the 1930s.
    Edible??
    Not really it is a carnivore,and proably has some nasty dis -eases or parasites.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I think it's a waste to shoot the cats, you should collect them up in a bag and give them to the next Green Party canvasser who comes to your door. Remember to give the bag a good shake before handing it over :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I posted a good recipe in this thread not so long ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055541153&page=4

Advertisement