Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science in trinity

Options
  • 05-06-2009 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I'm planning on doing science in trinity next year. I am very interested in maths, physics applied maths and chemistry but I dont do biology. I'm would love to know what science in trinity is like; workload, difficulty etc.
    Any information would be much appreciated, especially from the physics chemistry maths side of things.
    THanks a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Good choice.:D

First of all Science is one of the more hectic courses (engineering is the only course I know of with more hours). Chances are you'd be in nearly 30 hours a week (with lectures, tutorials and labs). As for subject choices you don't have to do biology and could study Maths, Physics and Chemistry for 1st year.

You'll have a 3 hour lab session a week in Chemistry (and presumably physics but not sure as I didn't do physivs myself). You'll probably find yourself starting in college at 9 or 10 some days and not finishing till 6 with lots of breaks in between aswell.

The work is difficult but if you keep on top of it and don't let it build up it's grand.

http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/az/course.php?id=82
    There's the information and the subject overviews and permitted combinations can be found further down the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Alexl

Thanks for the link!
    Was interested in how the difficulty matched up against the leaving cert??? Would 1st year maths be more difficult than higher for the leavin??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Alexl wrote: »
    Thanks for the link!
    Was interested in how the difficulty matched up against the leaving cert??? Would 1st year maths be more difficult than higher for the leavin??

Well, yes. If for no other reason than its a year more advanced. I suppose the jump might be comparable to going from Junior to Leaving cert, but its one of those things that its hard to judge how well you will cope with it til you actually try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gamma23

Alexl wrote: »
    I am very interested in maths, physics applied maths and chemistry

Have you considered PCAM (Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials) it might be worth looking at you do all the physics and chemistry courses like normal science but do some extra instead of doing other subjects, and end up swaying towards nanoscience and nanomaterials.

Yeah the previous poster is right everyone who does physics have a 3 hour lab once a week.

(PS if you wanna be hardcore forget about chemistry and come do TP!)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DaXiS

Be silent TP'er!

Just playing. Just finished 3rd year Science, picked Chemistry.
    Chemistry and Physics are probably the hardest science subjects available, the maths is fine really. Workload is very reasonable first two years, as said 3 hours of lab a week. Then it splits off and every course gets different(let me know if you want me to explain chemistry any further).

Don't be a fool, attend your labs, go to most of your lectures and you will be fine :D

• Advertisement

When it comes to Chemistry a lot of the stuff studied is the same but with much more detail. Attend your labs, lectures and tutorials and you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I noticed applications for Science courses are up 20% this year. Do people think the points for Science in Trinity will increase by much?

Well last year it was 415 (down by 5 points) but it's hard to tell. Incresed applications only means increased points if more people that apply/accept are getting high points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Alexl

thanks very much everyone.
    See some of you next year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

Hey, I just finished up second year Science doing Physics, Chemistry and Maths. PM me if you want any extra info... I can't think of anything that hasn't already been said at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Jello wrote: »
    I noticed applications for Science courses are up 20% this year. Do people think the points for Science in Trinity will increase by much?
    If there are more applications then it will likely go up. It probably won't increase by more than 20 points or so (in the final round at least) as it's a large course.

If you're looking to get into the physical or chemical end of the sciences then consider putting TR074 Chemistry with molecular modeling (410 points last year), or TR076 Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials (385 last year) as second or third choices on your CAO. They are basically the same as science, in that you're in with the science class for the first two years but your subjects are pre-chosen. You will likely have little trouble transferring out of it, should you wish to at the end of second year (into one other of the physics or chemical courses).

Actually I just looked up Molecular modelling, it's a new enough course and wasn't around when I did science. Apparently you can do physics OR bio 1 with that in 2nd year. Which means you could go into biochem, microbiology or genetics too. That would be grades dependent though.

Advertisement