Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major/Minor in Psychology

Options
  • 09-06-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi. I'm a SF TSM Psych student going into JS in september (hopefully). I want to minor in psychology but in doing that I won't be able to get a PSI accredited psychology degree which means further study in psychology is pretty restricted.

I was wondering if there is a one-year add-on course in trinity I could do that would enable me to get an accredited degree if I ever felt like going on with Psychology.

Would appreciate some help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Hi. I'm a SF TSM Psych student going into JS in september (hopefully). I want to minor in psychology but in doing that I won't be able to get a PSI accredited psychology degree which means further study in psychology is pretty restricted.

I was wondering if there is a one-year add-on course in trinity I could do that would enable me to get an accredited degree if I ever felt like going on with Psychology.

Would appreciate some help.

Hi David. According to Killian you can do a one year add on course in Trinity to get accreditation.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I was discussing the possibility of studying psych as a minor in TSM with (I think) the head of undergrad teaching in the psych department, she said it was possible to do the year add-on, but I think you have to get special dispensation etc etc.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Actually, I'm in exactly the same boat here, so I'd like to ask a supplementary question or two:

If you can do the "add-on" year, does it have to be done immediately after your final year or can you come back later to do it? Also, what does it mean with regard to your qualifications (ie what you can put on your CV)? Do you then have a BA in both subjects, a major in both, or something else?

Thanks for the thread folks, I've been meaning to ask about this stuff for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I asked about the qualification - your degree remains the same I *think*, as in you don't get a second degree. It's really just to meet the PSI requirements afaik. This is what I've been told anyway! :)

Advertisement