Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trail/Mountain Running Shoes

Options
  • 19-06-2009 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

I know this has been discussed a little in the IMRA thread and also the Gael Force thread but they are quite long and I thought with 2500 people signed up and many people new to Mountain running this year that a new thread on
    the subject might be beneficial.

So I have read that there are brands out there such as Innov8s and salomon also do good shoes but some of these are not readily available in Ireland.
    I am a big believer in quality and if I heave to source a shoe in the UK I will do it but would obviously rather purchase here.

So if all our seasoned mountain runners could perhaps post what shoes they have and what terrain they are most suited to that would be great.
    If you could include prices and where you got them .
    Also if you were starting off now what shoe would you buy that you could use most of the year ?
    What is the most popular shoe on the IMRA circuit ?
    Any other pearls ..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

donothoponpop

Salomon Speedcross 2, almost perfect shoe, great offroad grip and support.
    Inov8 Mudclaw 315, good starter shoe, lots of cushioning, general all-terrain shoe.
    Both these shoes are on the heavier side, but offer superior support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I've both of them. I much prefer the speedcross IIs. I actually find them light enough to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

I got a pair of Solomon Speedcross in TKMax, Carrickmines for €30 about 6 months ago. I'm no hill/mountain runner but they are awesome when training in bad weather on any rough terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

I got a pair of Solomon Speedcross for €30 in TKMaxx Carrickmines six months ago. I'm no hill/mountain runner but they are awesome when training in bad weather on any terrain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 molly24

Got New balance 1110 for 30 euro in tkmaxx , have seen puma trailfox there aswell but not in my size.
    I use my new balance in the woods and cliff path , no mountains yet !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Saucony Grizzly Approach - after my first pair wore out i spent too much on other shoes, wont make that mistake again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

AJCOT wrote: »
    I got a pair of Solomon Speedcross in TKMax, Carrickmines for €30 about 6 months ago. I'm no hill/mountain runner but they are awesome when training in bad weather on any rough terrain.

I was a newcomer to IMRA this Year and bought a pair of Speedcross 2's for the season. Just completed run number 8 out of a possible 9 in the Leinster League.
    I have to say I am extremely happy with my choice. For the first wear I thought the toe box was a little tight but it managed to shape itself fairly quickly without me having any issues.

I think I paid approx €95 in Snow and Rock in Dundrum (Or whatever it's called but it was really good for customer service!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Ive heard great things about the adidas Kanadia as an allrounder. 60 quid in arnotts I think and under 300 grams.

As an all out mountain racer for the championship mountain races the inov 8 x talon is hard to beat. The inov 8 roclite 315 is a great shoe for league and championship races and would be a good place to start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm thinking of trying a few runs to the mountains for some training in a couple of months...it'd be about 5 miles or so for me to run there, I know some shoes are okish over the different terrains but I'm not sure...any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

The ideal shoe for someone starting hill running is a pair of road runners near the end of their life -you add an additional few hundred miles to the expected lifetime by running on softer ground. A good fit and suitability for the individual bio-mechanics of the runner are more important characteristics than the additional grip that off-road shoes provide unless you are doing some very technical routes such as downhill in the rain off Croagh Patrick - not recommended for beginners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

mithril wrote: »
    The ideal shoe for someone starting hill running is a pair of road runners near the end of their life -you add an additional few hundred miles to the expected lifetime by running on softer ground. A good fit and suitability for the individual bio-mechanics of the runner are more important characteristics than the additional grip that off-road shoes provide unless you are doing some very technical routes such as downhill in the rain off Croagh Patrick - not recommended for beginners.

Im not sure Id agree with that. The more experienced hillrunners need less grip than the beginner not the other way round. I can see what you mean about prolonging the life of the road runners but that would be more suitable for off road park running.

If you are a beginner and you encounter a downhill section of grass the tendency is to brake (grassy downhills require most grip: out and out mountain runners best here, road shoes/trail shoes can be better for rocky courses due to the cushioning ) . If you brake coming down a grassy hill it will equal a fall.

For someone looking for a pair of trail shoes to use when approaching the hills from a road then the saucony grizzlys are good. They are basically a road show with an off road grip.

The best way to improve hill runninmg techique quickly is to do long runs in the hills and cruising but not slowing on the descents (in races you push more on the up and more if possible on the down) You wont do that wearing road shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I love my Inov8s. The roclite 315's are so comfortable, I've taken to wearing them daily (and for hikes). Instead I bought a pair of mudclaw 270s, which I'm just going to keep for IMRA races. Like slippers they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CiaranC33

After reading the posts here and few other sites I have decided that I am going to invest in a pair of Salomon SpeedCross 2 Shoes for the wet evenings training ahead. Maybe from here.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Salomon_SpeedCross_2_Shoes/5360031844/

Just wondering from people who have run in the Salomon SpeedCross 2 what are their sizes like.
    I take 9.5 in Asics and 9 in Saucony.

Thanks,
    Ciarán

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

I always buy my off-road shoes very tight. Normally I take a 10-10.5 but my inov8's are a 9... almost wish I'd got a 8.5! What tends to happen with mine is they stretch a lot when they get wet and then my feat slip in them.

wiggle are probably much cheaper then any shop in Ireland but if you can try them on first here do.

O yea when you try them on jump forward and land putting as much forward pressure as you can... if your feat slip there too big (Thats the way I do it anyway). I should point out I have narrow feat so that might be why my feat slip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Try them on somewhere first if you can. When I was getting my Salomons, wings, I read on the wiggle reviews to get a half size bigger than your normal size due to their fit. I seem to be opposite to n-dawg in that my previous trail shoes were also a half size bigger than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rkav410

Does anyone out there use custom made orthotic insoles in their trail shoes? If so what trail shoes do you use?
    I used to use Saloman XA Pro 3Ds which I thought were the best shoe I have ever run in. I was about to replace them with a pair of XT Wings when I realised that these already have pronation control built in and apparently you should only wear your orthotics with neutral runners, but nearly all trail shoes have some built in pronation control! Not sure what shoe to buy now!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

n-dawg wrote: »
    I always buy my off-road shoes very tight. Normally I take a 10-10.5 but my inov8's are a 9... almost wish I'd got a 8.5! What tends to happen with mine is they stretch a lot when they get wet and then my feat slip in them.

wiggle are probably much cheaper then any shop in Ireland but if you can try them on first here do.

O yea when you try them on jump forward and land putting as much forward pressure as you can... if your feat slip there too big (Thats the way I do it anyway). I should point out I have narrow feat so that might be why my feat slip!

I'd agree with this, smaller the better to avoid any heel lift or sliding forward when going downhill. I've found salomon too narrow to go smaller though, inov8 are relatively snug also

n-dawg wrote: »

Wish I'd read this advice before buying my last pair of inov-8s. Makes a lot of sense now. Got a nasty blister from the shoe sliding forwards and backwards on a downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Wish I'd read this advice before buying my last pair of inov-8s. Makes a lot of sense now. Got a nasty blister from the shoe sliding forwards and backwards on a downhill.

This is a rule which doesn't apply to all, so you'd want to check it out before you buy online. I wear size 9s in road runners and hilll runners inc. inov8s. I have never had any loosening up or blisters. Depending on the terrain I might tie laces tighter to ensure I don't lose the shoe in the bog though.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

rkav410 wrote: »
    Does anyone out there use custom made orthotic insoles in their trail shoes? If so what trail shoes do you use?
    I used to use Saloman XA Pro 3Ds which I thought were the best shoe I have ever run in. I was about to replace them with a pair of XT Wings when I realised that these already have pronation control built in and apparently you should only wear your orthotics with neutral runners, but nearly all trail shoes have some built in pronation control! Not sure what shoe to buy now!

I am using mine with north face trail runners no problem although i find the surface of the orthotics v slippery when my shoes ar efull of water and this causes my feet to slip somewhat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mcgarry098

Hey does anyone know any really good cheap trail shoe suitable for gaelforce,.. think i know yer answer though which is gonna be you get what you pay for.
    Money is really tight so the cheaper the better!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the nike outlet in kildare has some basic trail shoes for €15/€22 at the moment, they are selling them off before they shut down for a refurbishment. 53 degrees north has a sale on too and have some asics and north face trail shoes on sale for €50 up.

Both have a limited selection of sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Anyone here ever used the Mizuno Cabrakan trail shoe?

I was in Amphibian King getting a pair road shoes recently and had a look at some trail shoes too, they hadn't any Cabrakans there in my size, but that seemed like the trail shoe for me, as I need a supportive shoe.

Anyways, they sent me down a pair, and reading up on reviews beforehand they sounded good, no review stated they were waterproof, but I think they are.

Waterproof would be a bad thing wouldn't for adventure races that have kayaking or anything where the shoe will be totally submerged, is a waterproof shoe more like to hold the water in instead of drying out as you continue on in the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Waterproof would be a bad thing wouldn't for adventure races that have kayaking or anything where the shoe will be totally submerged, is a waterproof shoe more like to hold the water in instead of drying out as you continue on in the race?

Correct. Bad idea for off-road racing in Ireland in general. There are lots of ways to fill your shoes with water without needing a kayak to help (Anyone who did DoNotHopOnPop's race in Annagh hill will know that all too well :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

mcgarry098 wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know any really good cheap trail shoe suitable for gaelforce,.. think i know yer answer though which is gonna be you get what you pay for.
    Money is really tight so the cheaper the better!

I've seen the Adidas Kanadia on sale in Elvery's at times for about half price.
    Other than that, you could try startfitness, see what they have on sale in your size...
    Trail Shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Enduro wrote: »
    Correct. Bad idea for off-road racing in Ireland in general. There are lots of ways to fill your shoes with water without needing a kayak to help (Anyone who did DoNotHopOnPop's race in Annagh hill will know that all too well :)).

Thanks Enduro!
    Can the same be said for water resistant shoes!? Bad idea too?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Can the same be said for water resistant shoes!? Bad idea too?

My opinion would be you're better off with a shoe that will drain quickly after you land in a puddle. Any claims of waterproof or water resistance for shoes has to be taken with a pinch of salt, water will always get in once you are in anything more than a few mm of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 gooch134

I am new to hill/trail running adventure scene. I have been trying to source a good durable fast running shoe. I have ran 3 marathons & completed an adventure race so my shoe would have to be performance related. I intend running the Dingle Adventure Race. This race requires a 25km cycle, a hike up & down Mount Brandon followed by a six mile Road Run. I would be very interested to hear from any experienced runners whom have ran this event last year as to their ideal running shoes for that terrain. The route includes road, rock, dry grass, wet grass, very steep ascending & decending. I have so far sourced the Salomon XR Crossmax, Inov-8 Roclite 285 & Inov-8 Mudclaw 272. I would also be delighted to hear the views from anyone who has tried the above shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

gooch134 wrote: »
    I am new to hill/trail running adventure scene. I have been trying to source a good durable fast running shoe. I have ran 3 marathons & completed an adventure race so my shoe would have to be performance related. I intend running the Dingle Adventure Race. This race requires a 25km cycle, a hike up & down Mount Brandon followed by a six mile Road Run. I would be very interested to hear from any experienced runners whom have ran this event last year as to their ideal running shoes for that terrain. The route includes road, rock, dry grass, wet grass, very steep ascending & decending. I have so far sourced the Salomon XR Crossmax, Inov-8 Roclite 285 & Inov-8 Mudclaw 272. I would also be delighted to hear the views from anyone who has tried the above shoes

I have the Salomon SpeedCross 2. Extremely comfy, did the Connemara challenge a few weeks ago in horrendously wet underfoot conditions and I couldn't fault it. The grip compared to my old road runners last year was on a different level.
    I've also ran some short training runs, 5/6 miles on road/path to help break them in when I first got them & didn't have any issues with them at all.
    You'll find them in Great Outdoors in Dublin & Galway, and I'm sure elsewhere too. Saw it at a great price on wiggle too at the moment if you're willing to go down that route.

Looking at the rest of the list you have there, I see the Roclite 285 & Muclaw 270(not the 272) on start fitness, and the XR Crossmax on Wiggle.
    For what you say, I'd be wary of the sole on the Roclites, looks quite like a road shoe, not sure how much grip for wet grass, descent, but prob fine on the road and other sections.
    The Mudclaw seems to have a better tread for that, but I haven't worn Inov8s before so don't know how the trade off would be for comfort on the road section.
    Can't see the sole of the Crossmax to see what its like, but having ran on most of what you listed in my SpeedCross, I'd recommend them if you can get them.

• Advertisement

For what you say, I'd be wary of the sole on the Roclites, looks quite like a road shoe, not sure how much grip for wet grass, descent, but prob fine on the road and other sections.
    The Mudclaw seems to have a better tread for that, but I haven't worn Inov8s before so don't know how the trade off would be for comfort on the road section.
    Unless you are planning on changing shoes after the hike (before the road section) I would avoid the mudclaws. They're really not designed for road use, and you will find that it is quite an excruciating experience. The roclite would definitely be a better fit than the mudclaw.

The Salomon Crossmax is designed for that kind of dual terrain (road and trail), so might be your best bet. I have worn mine on both types of terrain and found them to be very good. Grippy on the trail/mud/grass and fast on the road. Might be better off buying from a bricks and mortar shop though, to ensure you get the right fit.

Advertisement