Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring to CS

Options
  • 26-06-2009 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hey, sorry if this isn't in the right place/thread.

I've just finished first year in Maynooth and have qualified to swap over to CS there, however I'm considering transferring into 2nd year CS in Trinity (if I can somehow manage to convince admissions to let me in)

Just a couple of questions, I got an A1 in pass maths in the leaving but have passed all my first year maths modules in college, should that be enough to make up for the maths requirement for the course in Trinity? And secondly, the programming I've done in NUIM has been in Java - will that be a major problem should I manage to swap over, i.e. is it difficult to adapt to C? And (with reference to the other threads), does the course involve much practical programming now?

I know there's already a couple of threads on CS here, they haven't really answered my questions though. Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What were you doing in Maynooth for first year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Ck1989

I was doing Multimedia which involved all the first year CS modules and Maths was the Arts subject I chose. I'll be doing CS next year anyway, just seriously considering transferring!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

1st year CS in TCD only do Java(and assembly), no C. So you'd be in the same boat as the rest of the class in 2nd year(well some anyway...) in not having done C/C++.

The maths question is a tough one, and would be decided by the department/admissions I guess. If you've passed university modules in maths already then I'd think you're alright, but best get on to the CS department in Trinity to check it out. A guy in my class joined us in 2nd year from CS in NUIG having done no hardware/assembly and it wasn't a problem, although he is a genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Having just passed second year CS, I'd warn you that you'll more than likely have difficulty with the hardware part of the course since you haven't done first year, where they cover a lot of basic principles(truth tables, basic logic circuit design). C and C++ is thought from the assumption you have no prior knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Ck1989

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm just gonna ring the admissions office and see if I can meet with someone to see exactly what I'd have to catch up on.

One of my modules this year covered truth tables and the like in great depth so I'm not worried about that but the hardware might be a concern so I'll look into that.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

As an aside, the maths requirements for TCD CS have changed in the last year.

There is a new course - "Business and Computing", which can be upto 66% computer science, and requires an honour in honours maths OR an A in ordinary maths. This could be another route of entry for you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

snappieT wrote: »
    As an aside, the maths requirements for TCD CS have changed in the last year.
    From what to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Jonathan wrote: »
    From what to what?
    What I meant is that there is a new Computer Science-based course with more flexible requirements. Used to be HC3 or above, now HC3/OA2 (for Business & Computing only)

snappieT wrote: »
    What I meant is that there is a new Computer Science-based course with more flexible requirements. Used to be HC3 or above, now HC3/OA2 (for Business & Computing only)
    Oh gotcha now yea.

I thought you meant the requirements for tr033 had changed.

Advertisement