Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Link: Elite cyclists 'risk infertility'

Options
  • 29-06-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Professional cyclists should consider freezing their sperm before embarking on their careers, say researchers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8124458.stm

I for one will be modifying my training accordingly ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's ok, they only tested triathletes. They are infertile anyway.

Also, "cycler"...i question the validity of the study for that alone!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

And this is news?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yay, free contraception. "It's OK baby, I'm a cyclist".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    It's ok, they only tested triathletes. They are infertile anyway.

It's evolution, Dodo's, Wolly mammoths, dinosaurs now triathletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »
    Yay, free contraception. "It's OK baby, I'm a cyclist".

This may prove an excellent strategy for bringing on the next generation of cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

RobFowl wrote: »

the_evolution_of_man.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is the hunched, aerodynamic form of the triathlete at the back of the line there. The missing link perhaps?

Actually, the whole triathlon is kind of like an evolutionary microcosm. You all start out flapping around in the primordial pool, then one by one emerge onto dry land and begin to stand up, not fully erect, still bent over your legs are not yet fully evolved, finally finishing as fully formed homo sapiens...just about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

So while i recon the study is from a tiny pool of people and is more or less worthless, YEY at being called an elite cyclist 300km/week! (well some weeks...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Actually, the whole triathlon is kind of like an evolutionary microcosm. You all start out flapping around in the primordial pool, then one by one emerge onto dry land and begin to stand up, not fully erect, still bent over your legs are not yet fully evolved, finally finishing as fully formed homo sapiens...just about.

Ahem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

RobFowl wrote: »

It's a shame really, because male triathletes in those knee socks and hot pants must attract a lot of ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

If triathlons are to be compared to evolution the surely cycling should be the final leg, no?

Bike%20Evolution%20Sticker%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20(5115).jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

niceonetom wrote: »
    If triathlons are to be compared to evolution the surely cycling should be the final leg, no?

Bike%20Evolution%20Sticker%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20(5115).jpg

No. Just. No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Professional cyclists should consider freezing their sperm before embarking on their careers, say researchers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8124458.stm

I for one will be modifying my training accordingly ;)

Nice 1.....must increase my cycling then:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Vélo wrote: »
    Nice 1.....must increase my cycling then:D

Yeah I'm gonna increase my riding too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Seeing someone do that to themselves just made me ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Terry,

Wowsers is all I can say. :eek: 100 feet of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

And now for some good news:
    Having sex every day improves sperm quality and could boost the chances of getting pregnant, research suggests.

The theory is the longer sperm hang around in the testes the more likely they are to accumulate DNA damage and the warm environment could also make them more sluggish after a while.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8125934.stm

Advertisement