Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so... I started playing rugby

Options
  • 04-07-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭

First off its through this forum that i put up a quick question about joining rugby in the relevant sticky...
    Soon enough i was pointed to Stillorgan RFC... I checked out the website and sent off a noobie email and i got a reply within the day from a chap called mark...

I asked him all the usual "ive never played rugby before, generally unfit, couch potato" kinda questions and he answered them all diligently.

The reason i was asking so many questions is
    1. Im not from dublin (moved here from Limerick)
    2. Were they friendly? ( a big crux for me as i have had mates that have played rugby for years and came to dublin and tried to settle into a team and were met with very clannish "you didnt go to school with us or college with us" behaviour.

This experience had me quite frankly a little shy about the whole joining especially since i have never played before.

So i got an email last week stating if i was still interested, pre season training was starting on Thursday (02/06/09).

In truth as i drove in i was thinkin to myself "i wonder how ill get on". When i got out of the car, the lads knew i was new and everyone made a huge effort to say hello, and explain a little about themselves etc...

We did some basic fitness training, circuits, sprinting, stretching, and 2 games of Tag to warm down... Suffice to say i was sweating alot, coming from a period of no exercise, in an office enviornment, sitting down all day.

Coming away, i felt it was a worthwhile experience, and that i felt that the lads there were dead on and would genuinely help you out if they saw you were falling behind etc... Theres a really team spirit there...

The next day, i was a little worse for wear in that i was quite stiff, However ill be back down for the training next week and hopefully it will get easier...

Ill post up in here how im getting along, for those who are humming and hawing about joining a great sport and were in the smae position as me about not playing, generally unfit etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Great post.. inspiration for those of us who should be out playing aswell - I tell myself every season I'l knuckle down and get fit enough, hopefully it'll be this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

This could be a great sticky, a kind of Rugby newbie journal. If cronin is up for updating it regularly of course! :)

Oh, and I've heard nothing but excellent things about Stillorgan RFC myself. Seem like a bunch of sound lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

This could be a great sticky, a kind of Rugby newbie journal. If cronin is up for updating it regularly of course! :)

Oh, and I've heard nothing but excellent things about Stillorgan RFC myself. Seem like a bunch of sound lads.

I do plan on updating it after every training session etc, or at a very minium weekly...

To be honest i was always mad to see how people got on after they went down. Its hard to just walk into a fully formed team with guys being through the ups and downs together, but these lads anyway made me feel very welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭imaleper

It will get easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Amabokke

Good on you and enjoy it. It's like a drug, once you start you can't stop.

What position do you attend in playing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Is it too late to join up OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Amabokke wrote: »
    Good on you and enjoy it. It's like a drug, once you start you can't stop.

Ive never though about it like that before but it really is. Must be why im so restless and fidgity all summer. Roll on pre-season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

keano_afc wrote: »
    Keano, I got your pm and responded. Looking forward to meeting you next Thursday.

This is a great idea for a thread, a bit like those Powerade ads at the mo...

OP, you weren't alone on Thursday, I think we had 10 newbs out and it's great to see. From chatting to some, it seems we've got some who haven't played since leaving school and a couple who've come from tag rugby. Great to see interest for a league season still at least 2 months away!

I think it's great to see new guys come to the game and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone progress as we get closer to the season.

OP, just remember what Doddsy said on Thursday night, you need to do stuff away from training too. Just busting a gut in Bird Avenue for an hour or so a week won't help you, you've got to get out for runs or hit the gym or something! Fridays won't be nearly so bad then! Really glad you enjoyed your first day with the Parish. You'll enjoy many more, I'm sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Keano, I got your pm and responded. Looking forward to meeting you next Thursday.

This is a great idea for a thread, a bit like those Powerade ads at the mo...

OP, you weren't alone on Thursday, I think we had 10 newbs out and it's great to see. From chatting to some, it seems we've got some who haven't played since leaving school and a couple who've come from tag rugby. Great to see interest for a league season still at least 2 months away!

I think it's great to see new guys come to the game and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone progress as we get closer to the season.

OP, just remember what Doddsy said on Thursday night, you need to do stuff away from training too. Just busting a gut in Bird Avenue for an hour or so a week won't help you, you've got to get out for runs or hit the gym or something! Fridays won't be nearly so bad then! Really glad you enjoyed your first day with the Parish. You'll enjoy many more, I'm sure...

Mike, glad to see you saw the thread. I fully intend joining the gym this week. It'll be handy after work while the traffic dies down. For anyone else sitting on the fence get down to your local club or come to bird avenue and start up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

keano_afc wrote: »

Id doubt it.

Word of advice to anyone joining, stay away from the pretty boy of the club "sickpuppy" on here, mick by name, he'l have you doing your hair before matches and looking to do pina coladas instead of beer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Joe C

I have to admit it is tempting to get back into it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Are the stillorgan grounds close to ucd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KnackerPants

Depp wrote: »
    Are the stillorgan grounds close to ucd?

Yes, the grounds are in CUS secondary school on bird avenue beside the big red-bricked churc. The same road as the Spar shop opposite the gates to the Clonskea entrance of UCD......no excuse now ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Keep us updated on your progress. I would seriously consider going back to rugby. I've many doubts thou. My size for one - 5'7 and about 65kgs. My speed has deterioated. My fitness is a serious problem. Used to play the odd astro football but recently broke my ankle so I havn't i've just become a couch potatoe. My ankle wont be fully functionally for about another 6 weeks. Plus I havn't played since I was about 16. Is there any clubs available for so called beginner adults, even thou I played in school. Im 23 now.

Great thread thou. Fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself last week Cronin, I was gutted to be standing on the sidelines injured :(. As Mike said, keep yourself active and fit and you will enjoy the training sessions even more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Keep us updated on your progress. I would seriously consider going back to rugby. I've many doubts thou. My size for one - 5'7 and about 65kgs. My speed has deterioated. My fitness is a serious problem. Used to play the odd astro football but recently broke my ankle so I havn't i've just become a couch potatoe. My ankle wont be fully functionally for about another 6 weeks. Plus I havn't played since I was about 16. Is there any clubs available for so called beginner adults, even thou I played in school. Im 23 now.

That's what J4 is all about really, it's the league for people who are only taking up the game or getting back into it after a very long time away, a social experiment and olds farts :p. Where abouts in Dublin do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Don't worry too much about your height and weight. I'm 5' 7" and 68kgs. I'll be starting back with stillorgan this year, I havn't played properly since I was 15 and I'm now 23 like yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

What part of Dublin are you from? You should come down to try Stillorgan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Reading this thread has made me finally want to join a rugby team, i have always loved the game but due to having no clubs near me its been hard to find a connection to get some tryouts or whatever, im from D11 does anyone know any clubs near?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Davei141 wrote: »
    Reading this thread has made me finally want to join a rugby team, i have always loved the game but due to having no clubs near me its been hard to find a connection to get some tryouts or whatever, im from D11 does anyone know any clubs near?

Swords & Malahide both have clubs.
    Probably more around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Bryn wrote: »
    Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself last week Cronin, I was gutted to be standing on the sidelines injured :(. As Mike said, keep yourself active and fit and you will enjoy the training sessions even more :)

I hope I don't end up sending Stillorgans players off again this season, there seems to be a few of you on the boards :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Swords & Malahide both have clubs.
    Probably more around.

Coolmine (train out by Ashtown), Unidare (train out in DCU). Then there's also Contarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Brilliant thread. Might be looking to get back into it again after reading this.

26, 78kg used to be a scrum-half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I hope I don't end up sending Stillorgans players off again this season, there seems to be a few of you on the boards :-)
    Huh? Sure we're all angels.... :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Guys.. are you still looking for players?
    Never played before but pretty fit 5'11 83kg and relatively fast and don't like to lose :D. I'm not the prettiest so dont mind my face getting messed up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Can we change the title of the thread to "Stillorgan RFC Recruitment Office" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Tim you that fat canadian guy? about 32 stone
    fair play to anyone trying it for the first time
    guys came out last year with no experience and made the j 3 panel sure if nothing else great social scene and some exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well done OP, good to see a first timers experience and hopefully will encourage more people to get involved.

If I fancy taking the boots out of the shed, I'll be straight over to Stillorgan!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Bryn wrote: »
    What part of Dublin are you from? You should come down to try Stillorgan :)

Im from Walkinstown, pretty far away from the grounds but I have a car so its not a problem. I used to play for CUS in them grounds so I know them well. Can you tell me about Stillorgan? How often and what days they train in? Do they have a J4 team?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Gah. this is all making me want to start again....but theres too much change of me damaging a finger or some other limb and I need them for my career. :(

Maybe I'll take up banking over near Stillorgan or something. It seems like the unofficial boards.ie club. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement