Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man charged $23 quadrillion for a pack of cigarettes

• 16-07-2009 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

A man who was charged more than 23 quadrillion dollars on his credit card for a packet of cigarettes has said he is relieved he won't have to foot the bill. .

He had been charged a total of $23,148,855,308,184,500 (twenty-three quadrillion, one hundred forty-eight trillion, eight hundred fifty-five billion, three hundred eight million, one hundred eighty-four thousand, five hundred dollars).

"I thought somebody bought Europe with my credit card," he told the WMUR-TV station in his home town of Manchester, New Hampshire.

"It was very concerning - it was a lot of money in the negative."

Mr Muszynski said he panicked and drove back to the petrol station, where the assistant was unable to help him get to the bottom of the extortionate fee - which was greater than the world's combined GDP.

says he spent two hours on the phone with Bank of America trying to sort out the string of numbers and the overdraft charge.

The bank corrected the error the next day.

Visa has since released a statement saying: "A temporary programming error at Visa Debit Processing Services, caused some transactions to be inaccurately posted to a small number of Visa prepaid accounts.

"The technical glitch, which impacted fewer than 13,000 Visa prepaid transactions, has been corrected and erroneous postings have been removed.

"Importantly, this incident had no financial impact on Visa prepaid cardholders.

"Visa regrets any inconvenience to our customers and has taken immediate steps to ensure this error doesn't occur again."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090716/tod-man-charged-23-quadrillion-for-pack-870a197.html

I think the biggest laugh is that it took 2 hours on the phone to Bank of America to sort it out.

His reaction was priceless though.
    "It was very concerning - it was a lot of money in the negative."

Ya dont say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

"I thought somebody bought Europe with my credit card,"

Who would one speak to about buying Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

phasers wrote: »
    Who would one speak to about buying Europe?

Declan Ganley, presumably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

OBBAAAAAMAAA!!!

It's only a matter of time until the tax is increased to that amount over here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DESQ

If the goverment got their way they'd hike up the price above way above what that poor guy paid!!

Everythings cheaper in England!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Bloody smokers. They should cost even more than that! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Maybe it would help to cut down on smoking if a packet of 20 was actually put up to this price. It would also help to end the recession fairly quickly. Mary Harney, please note.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Talk about 'Coughing Up' :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I'd say they just accidentally put up the prices of cigarettes before the release of Bord Snip report and the next emergency budget due any day soon before the IMF takes control.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Something similar happened before except that the person in question only found out when she got her bank statement. Everything was sorted out but she sold her bank statement on e-bay for a fairly big amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Thats an expensive box of cigarettes!! Am I right guys? HAHAHA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

twenty-three quadrillion, one hundred forty-eight trillion, eight hundred fifty-five billion, three hundred eight million, one hundred eighty-four thousand, five hundred dollars

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The funniest bit was when he started claiming that "He could never pay it back, not even his grandkids could."

Ya don't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

It'd be hilarious if he bought these when he was drunk and woke up the next morning not remembering what he'd done.

I love how he said he's glad he doesn't have to foot the bill. Literally, the world, the actual whole WORLD, couldn't foot that fúcking bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

They said "Smoking Kills"
    Maybe they meant it in relation to the shock heart attack bill of the buggering things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I wish I had $23,148,855,308,184,500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 fluffy.death

Technical glitch or no, how the fcuk did it manage to charge him 23 quadrillion?!
    Damn interns. That's why no one should let them near anything important.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,947 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What's his credit limit...? Would love to know how the transaction got oked in the first place.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Kirby wrote: »
    The funniest bit was when he started claiming that "He could never pay it back, not even his grandkids could."

Ya don't say.

That's no way to step on the dreams of your grandkids.

'Granddad can we really be anything we want to be?'
    'That's right. Anything. Except quadrillionaries'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Technical glitch or no, how the fcuk did it manage to charge him 23 quadrillion?!
    Damn interns. That's why no one should let them near anything important.

One massive mistake in the article is that it is just a copy and past. In US english a trillion is a million million (1,000,000,000,000) in UK English a Trillion is a Billion Billion 1,000,000,000,000,000,000) so it is in fact .23 trillion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

For that kind of money, those cigs would want to be made from Heather Graham's pubes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 fluffy.death

One massive mistake in the article is that it is just a copy and past. In US english a trillion is a million million (1,000,000,000,000) in UK English a Trillion is a Billion Billion 1,000,000,000,000,000,000) so it is in fact .23 trillion. :D

Ah, well in that case then I don't see what he's complaining about! :p

Still would love to hear his convo with BoA, fiver says they tried to get him to agree to a repayment plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Imagine if he asked for cashback??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

In US english a trillion is a million million (1,000,000,000,000) in UK English a Trillion is a Billion Billion 1,000,000,000,000,000,000) so it is in fact .23 trillion. :D

1) The short form is preferred in all variants of English, in all situations these days.

2) It would be a thousand billion (10^3 x 10^12 = 10^15)

3) I don't think I've ever heard any one say $23 billiard dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

If he's from the states, he should have claimed the tax back

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

If that happened here, he probably would have had to pay it back because we all know the banks would just say "There's nothing we can do about it!"

Advertisement