Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce - case from irishdogs.ie

Options
  • 17-07-2009 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Dog lovers around the world have reacted in horror to the recent news that the high profile case of pet dog Bruce may finally be over as a court orders he be destroyed in a few days time ending an exhaustive twenty one month battle to save him.
    Bruce was a young Staffordshire Bull Terrier living happily with his family in Northern Ireland. On September 19th 2007 Bruce was seized by council officials as an alleged pit bull type and taken to secluded kennels whilst his owner was taken to court for owning a banned type of dog contrary to the Dangerous Dogs Act (Northern Ireland) Order 1991.

Whilst incarcerated in kennels his family were allowed to visit their dog in October 2007, Bruce had lost weight, muscle tone and had an open cut to his muzzle. Five months later Bruce was allowed a second visit from his family in March 2008, they were shocked with what they found: The wound on Bruce's muzzle was larger, weeping and had become infected, he tail had been amputated due to damage and infection, he had open pressure sores, was underweight and looked totally broken and rejected, yet despite the clear pain he was in, is described by experts as being a friendly dog that poses no danger to the public. A trial was heard at Bangor Magistrates Court on 27th August 2008 and the court determined that Bruce was of type despite the evidence from two expert identification witnesses who said he was not. Judgement was given two weeks later on the 12th September and Bruce was ordered destroyed devastating his family and supporters.

A legal appeal was lodged and a brief hearing on the 12th November 2008 listed the case for mention on 12th January 2009.
    A further hearing in March 2009 was scheduled to set a date for the full Appeal. But, as we understand it, at this hearing the Judge gave Bruce a reprieve, as she believed Bruce does not pose a danger to the public. It was unclear how this potentially groundbreaking ruling would proceed as the Judge did not contest that Bruce had been found to be a pit bull type but decided as he posed no danger to the public he could be returned to his owner under the conditions that apply to pit bull types in England: Bruce's owner was trying to obtain third party liability insurance for him as a pit bull type in Northern Ireland. As it is illegal to have a pit bull type in Northern Ireland no insurance company was able to offer insurance cover.

A further court date was set for 29th June 2009 to decide how this ruling for Bruce could proceed and the Judge ordered destruction.
    In a desperate attempt to save Bruce, owner Shannon Brown, supporters and neighbours have created petitions, online networking groups and videos resulting in worldwide support to Bring Bruce Home. Bruce remains on canine death row, removed from his family home, alone and unaware of the worldwide support he has to spare his life.

Despite being debated several times, Northern Ireland has not adopted the provisions within the1997 Dangerous Dogs (Amendment) Act allowing friendly pet dogs found to be unlawful by appearance, but posing no danger to the public, to be allowed to live. In England, Scotland and Wales, a dog found to be pit bull type by the courts can be ordered entered onto the Index of Exempted Dogs as an alternative to destruction. If the Amendment had been accepted in Northern Ireland, the court would have been able to exercise discretion as with the rest of the UK - Bruce is likely to have been home long before now, alive and well registered on the Index of Exempted Dogs.

If Bruce lived across the border in Southern Ireland where no breeds are nationally banned he would never have been seized and imprisoned at all. Bruce has been offered a place of safety with a dedicated rescue and sanctuary in Southern Ireland where he could legally live out the rest of his life; this offer has been conveyed in writing to the solicitor but has sadly not been accepted by the court.

Bruce hasn't actually ever put a paw wrong; he is sentenced to death due to the way he looks and the fact that NI has a mandatory death penalty unlike the rest of the UK who gave the courts discretion when sentencing twelve years ago.
    Bruce and his family have endured much mental and physical anguish and pain solely due to a draconian law. His owner is simply a young dog owner who has been struggling for nearly two years to save her dogs life.
    All that needs to be done to let a friendly dog live is for Bruce to be allowed safe passage from Northern to Southern Ireland and Bruce needs your support again during his eleventh hour.

We are asking supporters to contact the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (Shaun Woodward MP) and Ministers urging them to use compassion and discretion by granting Bruce a Pardon removing the penalty imposed the mandatory death sentence with the provision that Bruce is moved to the rescue placement ready and waiting for him in Southern Ireland. For a nation who claims to be animal lovers this would be the expected outcome.
    As the court has ordered that Bruce be destroyed someone will be expected to administer the fatal injection. Veterinary surgeons take a sworn oath and promise to safeguard the welfare of animals committed into their care. In line with this sworn promise we are calling on all veterinary professionals within the UK to take a stand and refuse to kill Bruce - a healthy, wanted animal who poses no danger to the public & has a rescue space waiting for him in Eire. Bruce's legal owner does not give consent for Bruce to be destroyed.

Please help by contacting the relevant authorities
    For Further Information - Please Contact:

DDA Watch
    Email: mail@dangerousdogsact.co.uk
    www.dangerousdogsact.co.uk
    Tel: 0844 844 2900
    Endangered Dogs Defence & Rescue
    www.endangereddogs.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

this is absolutely shocking. i'd be glad to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Lilly/DNB

A candle lit vigil for Bruce, the alleged pit bull in Northern Ireland.
    Protests are being organized in New York and all over the world on Bruce’s behalf and are planned for 23rd July. Ireland will complement this candle-lit vigil to be published on the same day. Our location will be at the Garden of Remembrance just off O'Connell street Dublin 1,
    @ 7.00 sharp

What is needed?
    1) A candle,
    2) A camera,
    3) A sign saying ‘Bring Bruce Home’ and/or “Stop Breed specific legislation” giving a location (county/state/country) to show how far spread the campaign is.

JOIN OUR CALL TO "PAWS"

"Paws" for a moment of silence and join us in lighting a candle in honour, support and recognition of our beautiful canine friends that have lost their life true BSL and their families that have suffered loosing innocent much loved pets. It is wrong that an entire breed Of dog should be banned purely on the bases of its genetic make-up, without any consideration of an Individual dog’s characteristics and temperament, "Bruce", an innocent victim and pawn of Northern Ireland's Breed Specific Legislation law.

We can't do many things for Bruce as he still sits - just under 2 years - caged, isolated, and physically neglected at the hands of a government agency. These laws were enacted to decrease harm to it’s' citizens but is now causing harm to many people, their pets, including Bruce, and his family

Experts have testified and reported that, "Regardless of the tremendous pain and isolation of these last 2 years, evidenced by his poor physical condition, and despite his terrible circumstances, Bruce is still a friendly, well-adjusted dog and he poses no danger to the public in any way." These experts have testified to the courts of this fact. ", in support of his steadfast-unwavering courage, continuing trust and devotion, and in recognition of his undeniable "spirit", that continues to touch the world and ask for his safe return.

Please Show your support at this protest

We will also be fighting the BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) ordinance that the New York Housing Authority enacted last month, which banned many different breeds from its public housing.
    please cross post everywhere thank you..
    for more info please call lilly on 0868479326 or email lillydub@yahoo.co.uk

hello everybody, we need as many people as possible to come to this candle lit vigil for Bruce, and our plea to put BSL to sleep once and for all, innocent dogs have lost their lifes and family's have suffered all over the world because of BSL and it has done nothing at all to make the public any safer, in fact dog bites have rased since this legislashion was intraduced. im sure nearly every 2nd person on this board has had some kind of BSL in their area or be afected by it. so please take the time to pass this on and to be there just for one hour and show your support.
    thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Firstly - please do not bump your own thread - people will respond if/when they want to.
    Secondly - there is already a thread about this in Animal Welfare, I shall merge them now.

star-pants wrote: »
    Firstly - please do not bump your own thread - people will respond if/when they want to.
    Secondly - there is already a thread about this in Animal Welfare, I shall merge them now.
    firstly i wasn't bumpng up my own thread i was simply asking people to come to this protest i am well aware that people will comment if and when they like.
    secondly i was not aware there was already a thread about this in animal welfare and thank you for merge them together xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ramm1

Hi Lilly,

Do you have any more information on this vigil? Who is organising it etc, or a even a link to a website with the details. It may be worth emailing Peter Banks the editor of the magazine Irishdogs.ie, he claims to have 25,000 readers, and sends out a magazine each month to a majority of these. He might be able to notify people about the vigil.

fifilaure- here is a good link for details of how to help

http://irishdogs.ie/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12364&PID=172503&title=bring-bruce-home#172503

And im new to this, but im going to try and attach a photo of Bruce.

Ramm1 wrote: »
    Hi Lilly,

Do you have any more information on this vigil? Who is organising it etc, or a even a link to a website with the details. It may be worth emailing Peter Banks the editor of the magazine Irishdogs.ie, he claims to have 25,000 readers, and sends out a magazine each month to a majority of these. He might be able to notify people about the vigil.

fifilaure- here is a good link for details of how to help

http://irishdogs.ie/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12364&PID=172503&title=bring-bruce-home#172503

and to put an end to BSL. And im new to this, but im going to try and attach a photo of Bruce.
    hello sorry i never left any contact details, Sarah from "egar" and myself have been trying to help Bruce for a very long time now, Sarah offered rescue to Bruce in Ireland were his said type is not banned and Sarah has being working desperately to bring Bruce home. as you know Bruce story has touched the hearts of so many people all over the world, I am told that protests are being organized in America and other country’s on Bruce’s behalf and are planned for 23rd July. Let us complement this effort with a world-wide photographic candle-lit vigil to be published on the same day.
    This could make a change and what we need is the support of each and every dog owner and animal welfair group.

bruce b4 he was taking in '2007

4440748479a5412534168o.jpg

and bruce after he was taking

4440748479a7147478829o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks for bring this issue up Lilly.

Guys, check this youtube clip of Bruce and his ordeal..

And you can leave comments (please) here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRJYVszJ7tE

we need as many people as possible to turn up at this protest???
    this is what we need to stop..

• Advertisement

Thats a sad video:( Bring home brucie:(

So Lilly, are you organizing the vigil then? And if you are... How are you letting people know about it, apart from here. It just seems in Ireland a lot of events are organized but nobody ever seems to know about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Just send an email to Secretary of Northern Ireland as suggested by the campaign - but its unclear from what I have read - does he really have the power to overturn a decision by a court? A politician in the Republic wouldn't have such a power, so I'm wondering about the effectiveness of this suggested action?

Anyone have any updates?

MsFifers wrote: »
    Just send an email to Secretary of Northern Ireland as suggested by the campaign - but its unclear from what I have read - does he really have the power to overturn a decision by a court? A politician in the Republic wouldn't have such a power, so I'm wondering about the effectiveness of this suggested action?

Anyone have any updates?

I have no idea, and i dont know how long it would take to overturn a court decision or get the law updated. But, i suppose anything is a worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I've watched the video on YouTube, he's a handsome dog and looks absolutely harmless. I signed the petition and wrote something with it don't know if it will make any difference but hopefully Bruce will be brought back home alive and well.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a jailbreak, with the amount of support he has I thought people would've broken him out of the kennel he's being kept in, especially seeing as he's being completely mistreated. Makes me sick tbh.

Dave- I was thinking the very same thing, I really suprised no one has attempted that. Im not condoning illegal activity, but if it was my dog that was in that situation, and the legal system was allowing this type of abuse, I definitley think I would have taken the moral, rather than legal stand point and probably taken more drastic measures by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Just to let you know I received a reply from the NI Sec of State's office this morning. See below.

21 July 2009

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your correspondence asking the Secretary of State to intervene to prevent Bruce the dog being destroyed.

Dog control in Northern Ireland is a devolved matter, for which the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) have responsibility. Consequently there is no role for the Secretary of State in this issue. Your correspondence has been forwarded to DARD.

Andy Monaghan
    Assistant Private Secretary

fifilarue wrote: »
    Just to let you know I received a reply from the NI Sec of State's office this morning. See below.

21 July 2009

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your correspondence asking the Secretary of State to intervene to prevent Bruce the dog being destroyed.

Dog control in Northern Ireland is a devolved matter, for which the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) have responsibility. Consequently there is no role for the Secretary of State in this issue. Your correspondence has been forwarded to DARD.

Andy Monaghan
    Assistant Private Secretary

So here's who to write to CLICK HERE.

CONTACT INFO

I'd also suggest asking your local Sinn Fein councillor to make representations on your behalf to that department since SF are the only party with cross border representatives at local & national level.

Any updates on this one?.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/3244/dda-confusion-in-northern-ireland-as-bruce-awaits-his-fate-on-deathrow/

There is this very complicated article where it seems campaigners believe they have found a piece of legislation that allows discretion on whether or not to put down Pitbull type dogs (as least I think thats what it means!)

I can't see anything else about it online.

• Advertisement

So here's who to write to CLICK HERE.

CONTACT INFO

I'd also suggest asking your local Sinn Fein councillor to make representations on your behalf to that department since SF are the only party with cross border representatives at local & national level.

I emailed the department of agriculture this morning and they replied with an email saying the were going to send it on to the relevant department. will let you know when i here back from them

Ramm1 wrote: »
    I emailed the department of agriculture this morning and they replied with an email saying the were going to send it on to the relevant department. will let you know when i here back from them

I got more or less the same thing back.

Thank you for your e-mail highlighting the case of Bruce, which you sent to the DARD helpline.

Bruce was seized by North Down Borough Council under the Dogs (Northern Ireland) Order 1983 as amended by the Dangerous Dogs (Northern Ireland) Order 1983. The legislation designates certain types of dogs which it is an offence to be in possession of, such as the pit bull terrier. Local Councils are responsible for enforcing this legislation in their areas, and may therefore seize any dog that appears to be of a banned type.

There are conflicting views about the effectiveness of banning dogs on the basis of their breed or type and this is an issue that is being looked at as part of a wide-ranging review of dog control legislation. However until such review is completed, Councils and the Courts must work within the legislation currently in force. With regard to the specific issue of Bruce, the courts have found in favour of the Council, ruling that he was a pit bull type dog and therefore, under current legislation, he belongs to a banned type. However, the Department understands this issue is now the subject of an appeal. We will await the outcome of the judicial process.

Bruce is not being kept under the control of DARD, but is being kept in kennels on behalf of North Down Borough Council. The Council has told the Department that the dog is kept under close veterinary supervision. However, should there be specific complaints about the kennels and the welfare standards, these should be brought to the attention of the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) for further investigation, as it is the PSNI that are responsible for enforcing welfare legislation pertaining to non-farm animals.

Regards

John

John Terrington
    Animal Identification, Legislation and Welfare Branch
    Department of Agriculture and Rural Development NI
    Room 917 Dundonald House
    Upper Newtownards Road
    Belfast
    john.terrington@dardni.gov.uk

Im going to send an email to North Down Borough Coucil to ask them how they can let a dog be subjected to such awful conditions, i think it might also be an idea to find out which court the case is being appealed in. I was involved in a court case recently and any correspondance that was sent to the court was kept on file and reviewd by the judges before the actual day in court. Maybe it would be a good idea to send all these letters and emails that supporters of Bruce are sending, to the court that is going to be dealing with the appeal.

http://www.northdown.gov.uk/frm_contact.asp?pid=249&area=7

Here is a link to the 'contact us' section for Northdown Borough Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 janvrin

any news on this dog?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's going to the court of appeal on Sept 14.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8209106.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 48 johnmaloney88

just break him out, that's what i'd do. i'd even be more than happy to help. it's disgusting what has happend to that poor dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

We said a prayer for Bruce tonight. We hope that common sense will prevail. Good luck for tomorow, Bruce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭SunnyP

Hopefully there was some good news today, how can they treat a dog like that

Advertisement