Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sad B*str*ds

Options
  • 14-08-2009 8:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

Was out cycling last night when this twat, drove up in behind me and then braked hard trying to throw me off my bike, Then he looked over at his mate laughing, I swear If I caught up with him I would have put my foot in the side of his car.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

It's not their fault, they probably caught their parents having sex on when they were little.

In all seriousness, this is mindless and stupid, and they would have ended up in jail if anything had happenned to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

It's not their fault, they probably caught their parents having sex on when they were little.

In all seriousness, this is mindless and stupid, and they would have ended up in jail if anything had happenned to you.

I know it would have been stupid to kick the car, but I was soo angry that something would have went down. but what can you do the world is full of prats

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Absolute idiots, no thought of how much damage they could do to you if they actually hit you. Had a similar experience on coming to the top of Howth Hill recently when some muppet drove past me close enough so his mate in the passenger seat could lean out and slap me on the back, the car must have only been a foot away from me as it passed. The shock nearly knocked me off the bike which would have been seriously dangerous as there were 2 or 3 cars driving up behind the clowns.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I occasionally get the ones who lean out the window and say "ha-ha you have a bike!"...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

googlehead wrote: »
    but what can you do the world is full of prats
    For dangerous situations like you experiences I suggest reporting them to the Gardai. TrafficWatch is 1890-205-805. Put it in your mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Liamo08 wrote: »
    Absolute idiots, no thought of how much damage they could do to you if they actually hit you. Had a similar experience on coming to the top of Howth Hill recently when some muppet drove past me close enough so his mate in the passenger seat could lean out and slap me on the back, the car must have only been a foot away from me as it passed. The shock nearly knocked me off the bike which would have been seriously dangerous as there were 2 or 3 cars driving up behind the clowns.

That happened to me a few months ago, although not in Howth. Incredibly dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Amazingly not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭DJsail

Caroline as these are Irish nackers I sincerely doubt they have seen their parents probably due to not knowing who they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

tunney wrote: »
    Amazingly not true.

No? if you get killed as they are deliberately trying to hurt you, they don't end up in jail? is it not cyclist slaughter? ... that's a bit $hit ...

No? if you get killed as they are deliberately trying to hurt you, they don't end up in jail? is it not cyclist slaughter? ... that's a bit $hit ...

I think trying to proove it is the problem, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I occasionally get the ones who lean out the window and say "ha-ha you have a bike!"...

Got this 2 days ago cycling up near Northside Shopping Centre in Coolock.

And idiot in the passenger seat shouted something incomprehensible which basically amounted to "Ha Ha you're cycling a bike" ..

davej

Hands up if you've been overtaken by a vehicle who slammed on the breaks and cleaned you out of it?

Keep your hand up if the police said "tough titty"

oh......... just me then?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hands up if you've been overtaken by a vehicle who slammed on the breaks and cleaned you out of it?

Keep your hand up if the police said "tough titty"

oh......... just me then?

Whilst I have the greatest sympathy for your injuries, if you'd been in a car it would have almost certainly been your fault. Why is it different on a bike? Because your brakes are worse than a bus?

Lumen wrote: »
    Whilst I have the greatest sympathy for your injuries, if you'd been in a car it would have almost certainly been your fault. Why is it different on a bike? Because your brakes are worse than a bus?

You can overtake a stream of vehicles, say two, do so at a point when you cannot complete the manuvere because of on coming traffic and pull in between the vehicles and slam on the breaks, and its not your fault?

You can overtake a stream of vehicles, say two, do so at a point when you cannot complete the manuvere because of on coming traffic and pull in between the vehicles and slam on the breaks, and its not your fault?

In that specific situation you describe, the vehicle just overtaken would likely be following too close.

There are very, very few cases in which you can rear end someone and escape liability. Possibly an example would be if a sports car overtakes a juggernaut and slams on the brakes, and the juggernaut ploughs into the back due to having unavoidably lower braking capacity. I'm not sure whether this applies to a bus overtaking a cyclist - should the bus assume your brakes are worse?

IANAL, obviously.

In that specific situation you describe, the vehicle just overtaken would likely be following too close.

There are very, very few cases in which you can rear end someone and escape liability. Possibly an example would be if a sports car overtakes a juggernaut and slams on the brakes, and the juggernaut ploughs into the back due to having unavoidably lower braking capacity. I'm not sure whether this applies to a bus overtaking a cyclist - should the bus assume your brakes are worse?

IANAL, obviously.

so the next time I've driving on country roads I can overtake cars and just pull in *right* front of them and slow up and they have to slow down? and if they hit my car its their fault? class, I could do with a new car.

so the next time I've driving on country roads I can overtake cars and just pull in *right* front of them and slow up and they have to slow down?

I believe this to be the legal position, yes.

edit: I think that the burden of proof is on the rear ender to prove that the rear-endee was at fault. This is difficult when the rear-ender has amnesia induced by head trauma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭TimAllen

IANAL, obviously.

Lumen is right - the second vehicle would be deemed to be following too close - happens with cars all the time, you get overtaken and some guys pulls in "on top of you" - safe distance from vehicle in front will allow the overtaking vehicle pull in safely in front of you - as long as the "safe distance" you have left in front of you is actually safe by reference to your braking capacity and speed. The law for cyclists is no different than that for motorists in this regard - probably safer for you to use the cycle lane if there is one - it will keep you safe from such everyday dangers.

Thank fcuk it's Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

But sure it is not possible for the car being overtaken to regulate the distance that the overtaking car leaves between the two cars after pulling in.

• Advertisement

But sure it is not possible for the car being overtaken to regulate the distance that the overtaking car leaves between the two cars after pulling in.

Yes, the standard approach in a car is: restore your safe distance by lifting off and covering the brake. If the overtaker then brakes you can react instantly.

I still don't know whether this applies to buses and bikes, but you'd have a hard time arguing that a bus has better brakes than you.

If you are in such a situation you will/should have a reasonable expectation to be overtaken. In any case you should only be travelling at a speed that allows you to stop should the unexpected happen (or in the case of being overtaken whilst behind other vehicle, I would say that its not unexpected at all).

Yes, the standard approach in a car is: restore your safe distance by lifting off and covering the brake. If the overtaker then brakes you can react instantly.

I still don't know whether this applies to buses and bikes, but you'd have a hard time arguing that a bus has better brakes than you.

lets ignore the bus and bike. lets stick to cars.

Say the overtaker pulls in and brakes simultaneously?

As the overtaker starts the overtake (which you have seen since you're using your rear view mirror) you lift off and cover the brake.

You therefore have no problem avoiding the rear-ending. In a car.

Physics would suggest that the overtaker would have to be travelling faster than you to get in front in the first place, (s)he would then only reduce speed after pulling in or (s)he would impact into the side of you. Once in front of you, (s)he may brake to adjust to the speed of the car in front of him/her (which was in front of you) - you will be more than aware of whats happening as the manovere is happening and have reduced your speed accordingly in anticipation. Thats what experienced road users do anyways

TimAllen wrote: »
    In any case you should only be travelling at a speed that allows you to stop should the unexpected happen

In my experience the only speed which allows this is 0km/h!

In my experience the only speed which allows this is 0km/h!
    you dont get out much then I guess:pac::pac::pac:

TimAllen wrote: »
    you dont get out much then I guess:pac::pac::pac:

That's my cue to leave. Enjoy your day.

That's my cue to leave. Enjoy your day.

just a joke Billy - not to be taken to heart. Enjoy your day, hope your not stuck in the office like me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

happened to me tuesday night with my friend and we were up at kilshane road approaching the ratoath road when this white skyline came up behind us constantly beeping and reving his car , he frightened the life out of me as we didnt even hear him comming and all u hear then is a beep

so i was pissed off , and about 500m away from a cross road and would have loved it if he was at it waiting to cross , i would have put my foot through the window no joke

so look out for a clapped out white skyline in kilbride

Advertisement