Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOWTO: switch between analog and digtal sources in windows 7 mc

Options
  • 15-08-2009 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

This could go into terrestrial as well, but I figure it is better here.

I recently upgraded my media box to windows 7. My tuner is dual analog / digital tuner. I set up both the digital and analog antennas. Currently RTENL is only broadcasting the test pattern on TG4. Sometimes they do that on TV3 as well. Such is the pleasure of using a test. Anyhow, the picture quality is so much better on the digital channels I’m willing to put up with it.

When you install windows 7 it finds the analog and digital channels and merges them. When you go watch the channel it picks the digital one. If that’s showing the test pattern, you can switch off the digital source very easily and mc will use the analog one. You can even split the digital channel from the analog channel.

To turn off the digital source, go to the guide, move over to the channel (on the channel name, not just the channel listings) you want to change and push more info on the remote (or right click) and select edit channel.
    88131.png

Select edit sources
    88132.png

Untick the digital sources, leaving the analog ones ticked. You can also split the analog sources into a different channel. You merge them back together by editing the listing.
    88134.png

Come back to edit sources to check if the digital signal is turned on again.
    I took me a while to work this out, hope this helps someone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

an old post, i know, but its useful.
    i see from the screenshot that your having the same issue as me...
    that is, 7mc displays fadas very oddly.

have you found a way to fix that?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

No, I haven't found any way to fix that issue. RTÉ news shows up as RT news for example, most the shows on TG4 are messed up too.

Gotta wait for service pack 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

maclek wrote: »

Untick the digital sources, leaving the analog ones ticked. You can also split the analog sources into a different channel. You merge them back together by editing the listing.
    88134.png

Come back to edit sources to check if the digital signal is turned on again.
    I took me a while to work this out, hope this helps someone.
    Not 100% sure what you mean by the underlined part if you could clarify?
    Is it that you can seperate your sources completely and say have your analog stations as 1-15 and then your digital sources as say 101 and beyond even though some of them would just be digital versions of the same channel?

In the picture there are 6 sources for that channel, digital from 2 sources and 1 analog, from 2 different tuners. Normally they would show up as 1 channel in the guide, but you can split it up into 6 different channels if you want. After you've split them up you can recombine them into various combinations. It gets a bit messy and I've had media center crash on me when doing this. There doesn't seem to any benefit to doing it unless media center has mis-identified your channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Orthanix

maclek wrote: »
    No, I haven't found any way to fix that issue. RTÉ news shows up as RT news for example, most the shows on TG4 are messed up too.

Gotta wait for service pack 1.

Maclek my 7MCE displays the fadas correctly. When you installed did you set the regional settings to Ireland and the keyboard setting to Irish? Just guessing but that may have something to do with it maybe.

• Advertisement

Ok, I've got a theory and it looks like it is an rtenl problem.

If I look at the guide for TG4 the first week is bad and second week is correct. So I'm guessing the 2 week guide is downloaded off the web and is correct. Since I'm using the digital test channels the guide is being updated over the air (using mheg I think?) for the next week. So that bad information is getting put into the guide, making the channels for the first week of the guide bad and second week correct.

I wonder if there's a way to disable over the air guide updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Orthanix

Have you tried Guide Tool? You can set what service each channel gets its guide data from.

http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool

Exchanged emails with a nice chap in RTENL last week and they've now fixed the problem.

i noticed it was fixed!
    nice work :)

has anyone noticed that emmerdale and some other programs on tv3 are flagged as films?

• Advertisement
Advertisement