If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

42" TV - 800 ish budget

Options
  • 18-08-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Im looking for something around 42" big, full HD for around 800 euros.
    Ill be using it for Sky HD and maybe a ps3 at some stage.
    Ill also need to it delivered to Wexford and want it wall mounted if thats possible.

What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 minilabtech

I would get in the queue for phillips 42pfl7404,I did a fair bit of googling and looking and this won for me great picture and sound ,check with the guys about any lag issues for ps3 I couldnt comment on this (thats my sons dept)
    best of luck looking

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

I would get in the queue for phillips 42pfl7404,I did a fair bit of googling and looking and this won for me great picture and sound ,check with the guys about any lag issues for ps3 I couldnt comment on this (thats my sons dept)
    best of luck looking

Mini & MD Wexford thanks for the post,

..and yes the 7404 is in serious demand - I know business is tough but I have never known a range from Philips in such demand as the 74/84/94 series this year - I think it has taken Philips by surprise as well because they are having to rush additional stocks in!!

Mini's Suggestion of the 42PFL7404H really is the best TV I think you can get at under €800 (€799.99!)

There are really no time lag issues with the 74/84/94 series even in gaming Mode (you can switch off the DNM / Digital Natural Motion if you want to improve the lag even further) have a search online (there are even positive comments about the lag from Boardies here) the only issue is that it does take about a few seconds to start up when you 1st power it on.

Anyway keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yeah ive been reading up on it since minilabtech's suggestion, it looks a nice piece of kit.

How long are you looking at till you get some in stock??

Whats the story with delivery and wall mounting it John??

Thanks.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Yeah ive been reading up on it since minilabtech's suggestion, it looks a nice piece of kit.

How long are you looking at till you get some in stock??

Whats the story with delivery and wall mounting it John??

Thanks.

We hope within a week - (I hope it won't turn into the 8404 saga where we had to wait 3 weeks for them :eek:) but if you PM us your contact details we will pop a no obligation order down for you and give you a bell as soon as we get a firm day.

Yep it will wall mount no problem - I was going to do a boardie special on wall brackets soon anyway so we can get it started here - we can do the Icon Intro 100 bracket with any 37/42" TV purchased at just €29.99

I would ask you where you are based - but I'll leave the silly questions to Ash & Dave ;) - delivery to Wexford €29.99.

Keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

All sounds good, ill pm you my details now, just one last question please.

Does your delivery person install the tv on the wall or do i have to find someone to do it myself.

• Advertisement

All sounds good, ill pm you my details now, just one last question please.

Does your delivery person install the tv on the wall or do i have to find someone to do it myself.

MD,

We are happy to install it - however there is an additional charge for the install - it's pretty simple to do it yourself - however if you would like us to do it it's no problem and we are happy to give you a quote for it depending on location and stuff like - is there power on the wall already/is there signal on the wall already etc - again if you PM us the info we will happily quote!

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc

Around how much are we talking for installation John, roughly even??

There is power socket underneath where im planning to mount the tv if thats what you mean and the sky aerial is nearby also.

I dont trust myself to do it to be honest, rather have it done properly if possible.

Around how much are we talking for installation John, roughly even??

There is power socket underneath where im planning to mount the tv if thats what you mean and the sky aerial is nearby also.

I dont trust myself to do it to be honest, rather have it done properly if possible.

If the power socket & Sky point are behind or beside the proposed mounting point or if you are happy to have the cables surface mounted - you are looking at approx €135 + vat.

Thanks again.

ATB,

John Mc

So im looking at 1k all in then, tv, delivery, bracket and installation.

You can put me on the list then please John and give me a bell when you have them in stock, i have pm'd you also.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

johnmc wrote: »
    Mini & MD Wexford thanks for the post,

..and yes the 7404 is in serious demand - I know business is tough but I have never known a range from Philips in such demand as the 74/84/94 series this year - I think it has taken Philips by surprise as well because they are having to rush additional stocks in!!

Mini's Suggestion of the 42PFL7404H really is the best TV I think you can get at under €800 (€799.99!)

There are really no time lag issues with the 74/84/94 series even in gaming Mode (you can switch off the DNM / Digital Natural Motion if you want to improve the lag even further) have a search online (there are even positive comments about the lag from Boardies here) the only issue is that it does take about a few seconds to start up when you 1st power it on.

Anyway keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

Hey John,

That 42PFL7404H TV is 999 sterling on richersounds.com, is this a special boards.ie deal that you are running?

Cheers, Sam

Edit: Are there 37 or 40 inch versions of the 7404?

• Advertisement

samsamson wrote: »
    Hey John,

That 42PFL7404H TV is 999 sterling on richersounds.com, is this a special boards.ie deal that you are running?

Cheers, Sam

Edit: Are there 37 or 40 inch versions of the 7404?

Yes - in response to a local price war - now you know what a mega deal it is - however I honestly don't think it will stay at that price for long!

and - unfortunately no the 7404 does not come in 37" or 40".

Thanks again

John Mc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.