Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Questions

Options
  • 19-08-2009 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hey

I'm heading to Maynooth in september, I'm a mature student (yeah yeah, I know, boo...mature fu**ing mature student )

I have a few questions about NUIM, hope you guys can help me out:

(1) Are there lockers available for rent? How much are they? Big? Small?
    (2) There's a running track, right? How long is it? Can I just head out to it at 8am or so, before I start lectures? Are there showers available, are they close?
    (3) Whats parking like? A nightmare or ok?
    (4) Whats food like? Cheap?
    (5) Are the computers on campus available or is it like the lottery getting one? I'm wondering if i'd be better off investing in a laptop as I hate waiting and I remember doing ALOT of this in my UCD days

Any other advice??? I know, I'm a geek!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

The lockers are reasonably sized, I think they're 10 euro for a year. I'll be investing this year myself.

No idea about the running track. Parking can indeed be a bitch or so I've heard, I'm a bus/train person.

Food is an issue at the moment, I'm sure you're aware of our lack of canteen so the cheapest food on campus is gone. There are however, plenty of places in the town, a Dunnes, a Tesco and several pubs...as well as the on campus cafe, the bar, pugin hall and o'briens.

I've never really had any issues with pcs, the Rye Hall PACR is probably your safest bet, but closes at 5 now instead of 10 because of cutbacks. Arts block room is jammers during the day.

Anything else you'd like to know? And welcome to Maynooth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

No running track, I'm afraid. You'll have the choices of either:
    • Treadmills in the gym
    • Running on/around the pitches
    • Finding your own route to run around the campus

There are showers in the changing rooms in the Sports Centre on the North Campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

What? no canteen? :( should have found that out before I accepted my place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Síle28 wrote: »

I presume you didn't come down on the open day then :D it went on fire that day.

Don't worry there's a temporary canteen type place in the process of being built (its been thrown up fairly fast so it should be ready in time) while the old one is being rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Hi

Do you have to see your apartment before paying the deposit? I need to know this, because in that case I'm going to have to book tickets to Ireland quite soon:( I did see an apartment during the campus tour however, but I guess that wouldn't count. I'm an EU student.

/John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

There's another on the south campus.
    In the long run though, it's best bringing your own food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

What! no way, such drama, fire on open day jeje. No I wasn't there, haven't actually been to the uni at all so will be a nice surprise for me when I arrive to register on Sept 4th jeje

TBH even when there was a canteen it was a bit nicer to bring your own food, the only issue is not having a place to sit if you do so. Cheaper AND you know whats going into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

Beau wrote: »
    I presume you didn't come down on the open day then :D it went on fire that day.

Don't worry there's a temporary canteen type place in the process of being built (its been thrown up fairly fast so it should be ready in time) while the old one is being rebuilt.

Really?? whereabouts? Pugin= expensiveness!

Wendero wrote: »
    Hi

Do you have to see your apartment before paying the deposit? I need to know this, because in that case I'm going to have to book tickets to Ireland quite soon:( I did see an apartment during the campus tour however, but I guess that wouldn't count. I'm an EU student.

No you don't view the apartment before you move in. You just get your key from the office when everything is sorted and head over then. At least that's what I did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

It's being thrown up inbetween the Arts Block/EEng Building/Callan, that small stretch of grass that used to be a walk way.

Also, if you don't know many people going to Maynooth, just join societies on fairs day/club and socs day as it's now called, and talk to people from your class. It's a very friendly place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Ive heard its great and I'm really looking forward to it!! Going 3 days a week - doing the postgrad diploma in Ed!

No running track!! nooo!!!! I thought maynooth was well known for its sports??!! Maybe I'm mixing up colleges here!!

Didn't know that about the canteen - holy crap!! There are no seats around to eat your lunch?? Nooo!!! I'm actually kind of glad about the lack of a canteen, cause I can't afford it anyway!!

mp3guy wrote: »
    It's being thrown up inbetween the Arts Block/EEng Building/Callan, that small stretch of grass that used to be a walk way.

That'll hardly be big enough to cater for the masses will it? Better than nothing though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

peanuthead wrote: »
    I'm heading to Maynooth in september, I'm a mature student (yeah yeah, I know, boo...mature fu**ing mature student )!

7_13_1.jpg

How about a snack?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Also, if you don't know many people going to Maynooth, just join societies on fairs day/club and socs day as it's now called, and talk to people from your class. It's a very friendly place.

+1.

I basically knew nobody when I first showed up in Maynooth, but thanks too throwing myself into the many societies on camus as well as getting heavily invovled in the Students' Union, I've made countless new close friends. As Rozabeez said, it's a very VERY friendly place; talk to EVERYONE during Orientation week and the weeks that follow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Rozabeez wrote: »
    TBH even when there was a canteen it was a bit nicer to bring your own food, the only issue is not having a place to sit if you do so. Cheaper AND you know whats going into it!

So where do people actually go to sit and eat their lunch then?
    Harpie wrote: »
    Really?? whereabouts? Pugin= expensiveness!

What is Pugin??

I usually buy lunch in Dunnes and walk up the road eating it, or sometimes get a sandwich in Aldi then just eat it in the Callan building.

Pugin Hall is down in South Campus http://www.nuim.ie/location/maps/south.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

There's also a couple of chairs and tables in John Hume, near the o'briens where you can sit, or the uncomfy blue chairs in the arts block that make your arse fall asleep! n the sunny days (what few maynooth gets) it's nice to sit outside!

Eeek I'm getting excited about heading back with all these newbie questions!!!! :p

Well you'll be able to eat in the temporary canteen, I've a tendency to sit in an empty lecture hall if there's no-one in there before my class and have a coffee/read, but you really do have to make sure not to make a mess and to clean up after yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

when I arrive to register on Sept 4th jeje
    I didn't even know about this. Do we have to go up to the college or can it be done online do you know?

Is use of the gym free? It says it is on the website but that sounds too good to be true??!

Thanks for all the answers!

So what exactly is available in Pugin Hall? Is it a restaurant/cafe? Is it just a seating area?

Thanks again..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Parking is an total nightmare.

After 10am it's pretty much impossible to get a space.

Pugin is a canteen and a seating place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Thanks for all the answers!

So what exactly is available in Pugin Hall? Is it a restaurant/cafe? Is it just a seating area?

Thanks again..

And ye can all get out when the canteen opens up again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

K4t wrote: »
    I didn't even know about this. Do we have to go up to the college or can it be done online do you know?

Is use of the gym free? It says it is on the website but that sounds too good to be true??!

Yup free it is. It's alright, nothing amazing. Got the usual: treadmills, eliptical crosstrainers, rowing machines, bike machines, weights etc. There are showers too just down the hall. There's free use of the swimming pool too although the gym and swimming pool are about as far away from each that you can get while staying on campus's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

K4t wrote: »

I presume you're a first year so yea ya have to go up and register. Get over there early though otherwise you could be there for a couple of hours.

The gym is free alright. Go early in the morning or late at night to avoid the rush at around 4 or 5

efla wrote: »

No chance :P

Just wondering though, before the fire I didn't even know Pugin existed- who exactly was 'allowed' eat in there (Apart from seminarians) before the general population took over?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Post grads and lecturers afaik

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote: »
    Pugin is a canteen and a seating place.
    efla wrote: »
    Post grads and lecturers afaik

I'm a post grad so I think I'll check it out, thanks.

This is a great thread for all those little questions!

I have to say I think NUIM's website is seriously lacking for general info or else it just has a terrible layout as I can't find anything.

For example, they seem to have info on restaurants/cafes around the town but no info on restaurants/cafes/shops on campus?!

Advertisement