Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors run...You doing it? share your story!

Options
  • 24-08-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

The last time I took part was the 21st anniversary run 4 years ago, and I have been out of the country every time since, so this is my first time to take part in it for 4 years.

Training was going well, considering I was injured for an entire year with a knee injury, but the last two weeks have been terrible. Been sick and up to my eyeballs in work for university etc, not looking forward to 3 o clock on saturday.

How's your training going? what time are you looking to do it in? To be honest I will be pretty happy to do it in under 1.20 with the way the last few weeks of training have been going for me!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭qweeva

Wasn't really training for it but entered at the last minute, and really looking forward to it now - well looking forward to the craic afterwards! I just did Gael Force at the weekend so hoping to be recovered by saturday. I'd say I'll be doing well if I do it in 85 mins, I think the course this year is harder than last year.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Great buzz about it this year. I hear there might be a live video feed from the mountain down to the finish. Finished the wrong side of the hour the last couple of years so hoping to duck under this year.
    The course is harder. You hit the offroad mountain climb just after the glen road. I plan to go easy out to there. Its a long way back if you go out too hard this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

T runner wrote: »
    Finished the wrong side of the hour the last couple of years so hoping to duck under this year.

I'll finishing the wrong side of the hour mark too, about 20-25 minutes the wrong side of it, so when you get to the finishing line wrecked after 50 odd minutes, think of us poor losers that have another half hour to go!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

cloneslad wrote: »
    Finished the wrong side of the hour the last couple of years so hoping to duck under this year.
    quote]

I'll finishing the wrong side of the hour mark too, about 20-25 minutes the wrong side of it, so when you get to the finishing line wrecked after 50 odd minutes, think of us poor losers that have another half hour to go!!

Ah sure i thought it was the taking part that counts eh!:confused::D
    Dont worry tis the rest of us will be the losers as we wait for someone to put up the link from utube or whatever!

Na actually should make a decent day out to watch live. (crosses fingers that it doesnt rain!;))

Being trying to get under the hour the past couple of years so finished the wrong side as far as my plans were concerned for those two races.

The climb this year is significantly harder than any time previously. That side of the mountain bakes in any kind of half sunlight.

A lot of time will be lost and unnecessary pain suffered by people going out too quickly this year. If you start very steady and build up slowly some of the sting can be taken out of the mountain. Start easy-finish strong.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 a0nghus

Hi there

Was late joining so am looking for any cancellations or if anybody knows of anybody that cannot run myself and 2 friends would love to run

Regards
    Gusss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭machintoshlover

a0nghus wrote: »
    Hi there

Was late joining so am looking for any cancellations or if anybody knows of anybody that cannot run myself and 2 friends would love to run

Regards
    Gusss

Hey Gus, I have a few friends who didn't register in time as well, I think they e-mailed the organisers and joined a waiting list - not sure how many names are on that list but ye may as well throw yer names down!

Thanks for the advice as well T runner - I did the old route (going up Glen road and going up the trail) about 2 weeks, I went at a good pace and went up Glen road okay but definitely needed the break in hill climbing before the tourist trail so will take your advice on board and take it handy up to Glen rd.

On the old course I usually stop running and start climbing just a bit after you go through that turnstyle/gate thing and then start running again once I reach what looks like a gravel path - at what stage after going on to the private land after the Glen rd. does it get steep and will require climbing. I'm just trying to get a picture in my head of what the expect after the Glen rd.

In regards to time I'm really hoping to beat 1.10 but feel like I would settle for 1.13 or so at this stage (especially with this new route).

Hey Gus, I have a few friends who didn't register in time as well, I think they e-mailed the organisers and joined a waiting list - not sure how many names are on that list but ye may as well throw yer names down!

Thanks for the advice as well T runner - I did the old route (going up Glen road and going up the trail) about 2 weeks, I went at a good pace and went up Glen road okay but definitely needed the break in hill climbing before the tourist trail so will take your advice on board and take it handy up to Glen rd.

On the old course I usually stop running and start climbing just a bit after you go through that turnstyle/gate thing and then start running again once I reach what looks like a gravel path - at what stage after going on to the private land after the Glen rd. does it get steep and will require climbing. I'm just trying to get a picture in my head of what the expect after the Glen rd.

In regards to time I'm really hoping to beat 1.10 but feel like I would settle for 1.13 or so at this stage (especially with this new route).

HI Mackintosh.

You turn left onto the private land just at the layby at the top of the Glen road. You have to run through 2 fields. The gradient is slightly less than the glen road in the first filed so it might be a run/walk/run job. The second field is steeper and most will walk. It goes through a narrow gate and then onto the open mountain. From here its a right turn and 300 metres of runnable climb around the base of the mountain (height wise youre about level with that turnstyle thinh on the tourist route. You now turn left up a steep grass climb. This is savage but just walk it and dont expend to much energy there as there is lovely running above. When you get to the top of this climb its onto a nice undulating grassy sheep trail-great views and much relief.
    You eventualy rach a wall and follow this. It climbs up a horrible little climb which although small is the last thing you want. This may be worth walking too to save the legs (maightn't have a choice). Then youll see the Cairn 200 flat metres ahead. Run 3/4 way around and then down the tourist path and you know the rest.
    So at the top of the glen rd its steep/ runnable/very steep/ runnable/horrible little hill/runnable.

Its harder because youre taking all the climb in one go from the bottom of the glen. Aswell, The offroad part starts a lot lower than the offroad on the tourist trail and its grassy and steep instead of the easier part of the lower old climb.

If you start steady youll be passing runners all the way, guaranteed and youll finish strong. A lot of time is lost on the last road section. If you look on the spreadsheet of results from last year youll see that a lot of peoples speed from the road after the mountain was slower than before even though they were losing height. If those people and Im one of them make that mistake this year even finishing will be tough.

Hopefuly there will be good crowds at the bottom of climb and descent to help us on our way. 800 running this year so that should mean more people out spectating too.

got caught up in the rain when I was out running yesterday, just had a cotton t-shirt on cos it was sunny when I left the house, started to rain after a mile on me, I kept running and I'm paying for it now.

Woke up this morning with a crappy, chesty cough and a headache. Had to go back to sleep again, didn't surface till 4pm. I managed to get some cough medicine and some panadol, and loads of water. I won't be going running today :(

I don't think preperation could be any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭machintoshlover

HI Mackintosh.

You turn left onto the private land just at the layby at the top of the Glen road. You have to run through 2 fields. The gradient is slightly less than the glen road in the first filed so it might be a run/walk/run job. The second field is steeper and most will walk. It goes through a narrow gate and then onto the open mountain. From here its a right turn and 300 metres of runnable climb around the base of the mountain (height wise youre about level with that turnstyle thinh on the tourist route. You now turn left up a steep grass climb. This is savage but just walk it and dont expend to much energy there as there is lovely running above. When you get to the top of this climb its onto a nice undulating grassy sheep trail-great views and much relief.
    You eventualy rach a wall and follow this. It climbs up a horrible little climb which although small is the last thing you want. This may be worth walking too to save the legs (maightn't have a choice). Then youll see the Cairn 200 flat metres ahead. Run 3/4 way around and then down the tourist path and you know the rest.
    So at the top of the glen rd its steep/ runnable/very steep/ runnable/horrible little hill/runnable.

Its harder because youre taking all the climb in one go from the bottom of the glen. Aswell, The offroad part starts a lot lower than the offroad on the tourist trail and its grassy and steep instead of the easier part of the lower old climb.

If you start steady youll be passing runners all the way, guaranteed and youll finish strong. A lot of time is lost on the last road section. If you look on the spreadsheet of results from last year youll see that a lot of peoples speed from the road after the mountain was slower than before even though they were losing height. If those people and Im one of them make that mistake this year even finishing will be tough.

Hopefuly there will be good crowds at the bottom of climb and descent to help us on our way. 800 running this year so that should mean more people out spectating too.

Cheers T runner! thats given me a much clearer idea of what to expect. Wish I had done a bit more hill work but I should get through it! Hopefully there will be plenty of spectators along the way back indeed - if we get some dry weather as well that should bring them out in droves and also enhance the post race festivities!

Thanks again for the advice and best of luck in the race - hope you get under the hour mark!

Also best of luck to everybody else! Should be a great day with some well deserved pints at the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Being trying to get under the hour the past couple of years so finished the wrong side as far as my plans were concerned for those two races.

The climb this year is significantly harder than any time previously. That side of the mountain bakes in any kind of half sunlight.

A lot of time will be lost and unnecessary pain suffered by people going out too quickly this year. If you start very steady and build up slowly some of the sting can be taken out of the mountain. Start easy-finish strong.

Best of luck

Hey T runner, what kind of times have you put in training for this? I ran the full course the last 2 weeks and I found it a lot faster than my previous training sessions - probably due to the route / lenght change.
    I think you're dead on, taking it easy on the uphill and finishing strong. Ran the course last week and due to a niggling injury I had to walk a lot of the hill session, but finished very strong on the second half. I think the mountain section took me bang on 30mins.
    Also as it's a shorter course this year, as long as you still have something in the tank coming down the mountain - you'll be grand! So I'd be dissapointed if I don't get a PB. :D

Hey T runner, what kind of times have you put in training for this? I ran the full course the last 2 weeks and I found it a lot faster than my previous training sessions - probably due to the route / lenght change.
    I think you're dead on, taking it easy on the uphill and finishing strong. Ran the course last week and due to a niggling injury I had to walk a lot of the hill session, but finished very strong on the second half. I think the mountain section took me bang on 30mins.
    Also as it's a shorter course this year, as long as you still have something in the tank coming down the mountain - you'll be grand! So I'd be dissapointed if I don't get a PB. :D

Yep, thats the best tactic. I did a run with a few lads and we walked the mountain bit. One of the lads had done it the previous year and ran a similar time to the time he raced last year. (hes in better shape now but not that much better).
    I would suggest walking early on the offroad uphill as the lesson from what youre saying there hail. That will take the sting out of the mountain and leave you with something at the top to finish well. The race starts at the top I suppose!

having only ever met the good runners on their way down the mountain shouting at us slow asses to move out of the way, could you answer me this do Lenihan, dunleavy etc etc wal any part of the mountain section, or do they run it all??

I would guess as a mountain runner that lenihan is able to run the entire course.

As for my training, another day off today, trying to rehydrate after spending last night in sauna like conditions to sweat my sickness away, might double up tomorrow and friday with runs in the morning and evening.

Anyone know what weather they are giving for saturday? I really hope it's not going to be hot

having only ever met the good runners on their way down the mountain shouting at us slow asses to move out of the way, could you answer me this do Lenihan, dunleavy etc etc wal any part of the mountain section, or do they run it all??

I would guess as a mountain runner that lenihan is able to run the entire course.

As for my training, another day off today, trying to rehydrate after spending last night in sauna like conditions to sweat my sickness away, might double up tomorrow and friday with runs in the morning and evening.

Anyone know what weather they are giving for saturday? I really hope it's not going to be hot

Dont think its hot for saturday. May be sunny which will mean the first part of the offroad climb will be hot.

Dont train hard at this stage. A couple of easy runs of 30 m ins max maybe would do just to get the legs moving. Just pick up the pace for 10 secs or so (not flat out) 6-7 times during these runs to help get your legs limber. slow down for a minute after each faster 10 secs. You wont get fitter now but that will clear the cobwebs and make your legs feel ready.

Lenihan will run it all (hes carrying a bad injury but he runs the entire Carrauntoohil mountain race so saturday wont be different). Only about 2-3 people everyyear run it all. Most would have walked most of the steep part of the old route.

If I was you id ease into the race. Dont redline at any stage because its easy to blow up recovering from sickness. As Hail has indicated walking up the hill will take the sting out of it (flatten it) and leave you knowing what you are able for on the return.

Dont force those easy runs. Youre recovering just think about making your legs feel ready.

Cheers T runner,

I am still quite fit, only problem is that I haven't done much hill running. Been flat out with my dissertation for my masters all summer and I have only just bought a car so I have been running locally, where there are no hills worth speaking off.

It's strange to be worried about a 14.2km run, this would usually be a normal run of the mill, relaxing run, but not when it's going up that bloody mountain :rolleyes:

I was in strandhill last week because I was on driving duties bringing an american friend to carrowmore tombs and out to the beach...there were alot of ppl out running, hopefully I will be moving back to sligo soon and I can start running out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's strange to be worried about a 14.2km run, this would usually be a normal run of the mill, relaxing run,

It's a handy drive if you know how to use your gears. ;)

If anyone is spectating why not bring along a digital camera and take a few snaps upload them to flickr or the like and post them up here? Or else Send the Link into the organisers info@warriorsfestival.com
    With all the people taking part this year and the buzz as many mementos as possible would be great for people to remember their achievement.

If anyone is spectating why not bring along a digital camera and take a few snaps upload them to flickr or the like and post them up here? Or else Send the Link into the organisers info@warriorsfestival.com
    With all the people taking part this year and the buzz as many mementos as possible would be great for people to remember their achievement.

I have a pretty good camera, and I will give it to my girlfriend to get some pictures taken from before, during and after the race.....it probably means there will be loads of great pictures of the ground if it's anything like the video work she done recently when recording our IT Sligo rugby reunion match.

I doubt she will leave the start / finish area though so the pictures are going to lack any nice scenery and men weeping halfway up the mountain :rolleyes:

On the upside I'm feeling much better today, and my brother tweeked his hamstring last night playing gaelic, so he shouldn't beat me by much more than 4 or 5 hours :P

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Cant Wait:)

Did the warriors for the first time 4 years ago for the 21st anniversary in a time of 69:55 but have slowed down every year since so hoping to get a PB this year. Couldnt believe it when I seen Lehnihen coming first down the mountain 4 years ago as I taught he was past it but hes some runner for his age. I reckon Emmet Dunleavy is in with a real shot this year after reading in the champion that hes been doing specific training. The new route will surprise a lot of people this year I reckon.

Best of luck everyone

did an easy 3 mile run at half seven tonight, spent about 15 minutes after it coughing up every organ in my body......chest infection still hasn't really cleared up then, guess I'll have to suffer tomorrow :rolleyes:

good luck to everyone tomorrow, let us know how you all get on as well. Oh and I will try get photos and put them on flickr and post a link here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Best of luck to everyone today.

New route :eek::eek::eek: Think t-runner had good result if he is the person I think he is on the results page. Will let him post it.

Me....I'm sore, chest is not great, and I was 8 minutes slower than I would have liked this time two weeks ago, however come this morning I just wanted to finish it with the poor preperation I had.

Did in in 1.28, not a great time, but it's done, and that new route is incredibly steep.

results can be found here:
    http://www.warriorsfestival.com/osd_helpers/osd_zoom.php

The excel sheet from the link below is better to view, imho.

http://www.warriorsfestival.com/content/results

New route :eek::eek::eek: Think t-runner had good result if he is the person I think he is on the results page. Will let him post it.

Me....I'm sore, chest is not great, and I was 8 minutes slower than I would have liked this time two weeks ago, however come this morning I just wanted to finish it with the poor preperation I had.

Did in in 1.28, not a great time, but it's done, and that new route is incredibly steep.

results can be found here:
    http://www.warriorsfestival.com/osd_helpers/osd_zoom.php

The excel sheet from the link below is better to view, imho.

http://www.warriorsfestival.com/content/results

Well done Cloneslad, fair play to you for even starting the race and that was an excellent performance under the circumstances.

It was some relief seeing that finish line. I got under the hour and I was absolutely delighted.

All Credit to the organisers and the community in Strandhill they put on some show for athletes and spectators alike!

Hail to answer a question you had earlier about the route, I would put the new route at 30s-1min faster. You have 3 mins more of the new route offroad though.

On the old route you had to descent immediately after reaching the top which is brutal. On saturday you had that lovely flat bit before the cairn to recover and adjust before heading down. Apart from the wind the conditions were perfect too, far cooler than last year.

How did you get on Hail?

Advertisement