Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current state of hip-hop

Options
  • 31-08-2009 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm wonderin when this auto-tune trend in hip hop is gonna run it's course. It was kinda quirky and funny at first but now it's just gotten completely out of hand. I'm glad Jay Z decided to call out all that nonsense in "Death To Auto Tune". At least he's keeping things legit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

There is autotune all over Blueprint 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

You need to take yourself underground mate

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Agree with Famous45,if your sick of mainstream hip hop and auto tune you need to take yourself underground!

Check out apathy,he's one of the easier underground acts to get into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I don't really get the hate for autotune. Yes, there's lots of bad hip hop out there where it sounds awful... but it's bad music what do you expect? It'll be bad with or without it.

When applied properly autotune can sound good. I think T-Pain tends to make a better job of it than most (there's a reason he's seems he's guesting on nearly every chart hit in the last year). You have to be a good singer to make it sound good, which is why Kanye sounded so bloody awful. It won't compensate for a bad voice, or a bad rapper.

Bit hypocritical that Jay-Z's put it all over his album when he just brought out a single called Death of Autotune isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I've listened to Blueprint 3 and i can't hear auto tune anywhere.

Popular mainstream hip hop is on it's way out. But there are still a lot of underground artists putting out quality stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Check out some stuff from the Stone's Throw and Definitive Jux record labels. These show that Underground/alternative hiphop is alive and well.

Mainstream rap is becoming more sanitised and bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I've listened to Blueprint 3 and i can't hear auto tune anywhere.

Popular mainstream hip hop is on it's way out. But there are still a lot of underground artists putting out quality stuff.

'Reminder'

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

i think personally that hip hop is in a great state at the moment. It's so diverse right now, different sounds, different ideas, lots of differences to be honest....so there is a much wider selection available. Now it's so easy to make a rap song people can make a great song in thier bedroom and make it available to be listened to. For all the amatuer rubbish that is made, there is still some great stuff surfacing.
    Even if you are not inclined to listen to bedroom or underground or overground, (whatever genre title you wish to apply) mainstream hip hop also has alot to offer and heaps of variety. I know that at the moment there is a fad of autotune, but not everyone in the mainstream is doing it. When it is done well it works.

We may not have classic albums being released like in the 90's but at that time, there where not as many artists and not as many labels willing to put out a hip hop record. But we have in this day and age a much wider scope for sound and creativity along with ease of accessabilty. Big shout out to the internet, but also the people who love hip hop and who are pushing it out there and who are not being confined by borders of what hip hop should sound like and what record labels will release. That last sentence probably needs more punctuation.

Orizio wrote: »
    'Reminder'

I mean on Jay's vocals. The girl has a hint of it on the hook. But any auto tune for Jay's vocals seems to be removed. I remember reading a while back that Kanye said they redid the vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    i think personally that hip hop is in a great state at the moment. It's so diverse right now, different sounds, different ideas, lots of differences to be honest....so there is a much wider selection available. Now it's so easy to make a rap song people can make a great song in thier bedroom and make it available to be listened to. For all the amatuer rubbish that is made, there is still some great stuff surfacing.
    Even if you are not inclined to listen to bedroom or underground or overground, (whatever genre title you wish to apply) mainstream hip hop also has alot to offer and heaps of variety. I know that at the moment there is a fad of autotune, but not everyone in the mainstream is doing it. When it is done well it works.

We may not have classic albums being released like in the 90's but at that time, there where not as many artists and not as many labels willing to put out a hip hop record. But we have in this day and age a much wider scope for sound and creativity along with ease of accessabilty. Big shout out to the internet, but also the people who love hip hop and who are pushing it out there and who are not being confined by borders of what hip hop should sound like and what record labels will release. That last sentence probably needs more punctuation.

+1

Nice post

• Advertisement

We may not have classic albums being released like in the 90's but at that time, there where not as many artists and not as many labels willing to put out a hip hop record. But we have in this day and age a much wider scope for sound and creativity along with ease of accessabilty.

Only thing with that point is that the creativity comes in fads and has been for the past few years. Mainly down to record labels maintaining the majority creative control on a lot of studio albums. Labels are out for the money and unfortunately there is a formula for that. One which they have no problem in letting other people use. If you look at mainstream hip hop you'll see it has been fad after fad over the years right up until this auto tune buzz. And the funny thing is that every single one of them originated in the underground. Which is why i struggle to see what i hear on the radio as creative. Most of it is a pathetic rehashed attempt at something somebody else has perfected. Not to say it should never be attempted. But it should be at least done right and not just for a quick buck made on the backs of trendy teens. At least there are some more mainstream artists that were clever enough not to let studios screw them over with contracts and have majority input on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Guys, i think its gone to a stage where it will never be the same again. Most rappers are now in it for the money. They found a formula that works on the commercial mainstream and they just stick to that. Jay-Z said it best on his track 'feel my truths'; "i dumb down my lyrics for my audience, and double my dollars". All they really care about is the money and world-wide rep. They are not trying to perfect their art.

Then when they make it, all they rap about how much money they have, which also works great for the record sales (e.g. 50 cent: 'I got money', Lil Wayne: 'Got money'). Same formula.

Back in the early 90's rappers didnt know if they would sell records or not. Hip-hop wasnt global. They did it for the love of the game. And if they really wanted to make it big they had to work that extra bit harder. Nowadays hip hop is more global and rappers dont have to work as hard as they did in the older day to make it big.

Apologies for long post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pbclubz

You won't haveta worry about it if ya listen to more underground haha. But I see what you're gettin' at. I dig Jay-Z and I got tonsa respect for what he's done with himself. He's even doin this 9/11 benefit concert in NYC next week, that's gonna sell out like crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 madsanta

Yea it sold out in like 2 minutes I heard. That's crazy. Fuse is showing it live though.

For me personally, the autotune stuff doesn't affect em I guess cause I'm barely exposed to it. And from what I can tell, isn't it not even actually Autotune but rather Melodine where you can say something in a single key and manipulate the notes to form a melody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pbclubz

madsanta wrote: »
    Yea it sold out in like 2 minutes I heard. That's crazy. Fuse is showing it live though.

Yup heard that too. And now scalpers are trying to sell the tickets for like 45K. No way anyone in their right mind would pay that price. If anyone really wanted to watch it their best bet would be to watch it live on Fuse tonight at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

45K? I heard decent enough seats were going for 200 to 300 dollars (actual price were 50 odd I believe).

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

200/300 is a lt of wonga for a gig....45k sounds a bit extreme, you could probably pay jay z for a private performance for that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It was a touts dream. Demand seriously outstripped supply so the people that got in early bought up as many as they could to sell on. Craigslist was full of people touting.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Well said, kudos. The genre has opened up so much in the past maybe 12 years or so, that there really is something for everyone.

There is a really good song on the K'Naan/J Period/Fela Kuti mixtape posted here:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62155465&postcount=14

The song is called 'Ololufe Mi' and it provides a very honsest and refreshing take on the state of hip hop

• Advertisement
Advertisement