Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Walking during the Winter Months

Options
  • 02-09-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

This is the first summer that I’ve had the pleasure and joy of being a dog owner. It’s great coming home to his excitement at seeing me and knowing that he’s being taken out for a nice long walk/run. I like to take him to open spaces so as I can let him off the lead which he thoroughly enjoys as he’s all business sniffing about, marking his territory, befriending other dogs - he’s a very friendly chap and having his wee swim.

With the winter months of the way I’m concerned that we won’t be able to do this on week day evenings as the open space areas that I bring him too are not lit up after dark and would fear for the safety of both of us. I feel that my options for the Winter week day evenings are very limited in that the only lit up areas that I can think of are walking the streets with him on the lead...no freedom of a run around for him mad.gif

I live in Limerick city and would be grateful for any information on open lit up areas where I could bring him during the winter months or if there are any dog walking group in Limerick city which I could join (safety in numbers) smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

This is the first summer that I’ve had the pleasure and joy of being a dog owner. It’s great coming home to his excitement at seeing me and knowing that he’s being taken out for a nice long walk/run. I like to take him to open spaces so as I can let him off the lead which he thoroughly enjoys as he’s all business sniffing about, marking his territory, befriending other dogs - he’s a very friendly chap and having his wee swim.

With the winter months of the way I’m concerned that we won’t be able to do this on week day evenings as the open space areas that I bring him too are not lit up after dark and would fear for the safety of both of us. I feel that my options for the Winter week day evenings are very limited in that the only lit up areas that I can think of are walking the streets with him on the lead...no freedom of a run around for him mad.gif

I live in Limerick city and would be grateful for any information on open lit up areas where I could bring him during the winter months or if there are any dog walking group in Limerick city which I could join (safety in numbers) smile.gif

what area of the city are you in?

there are certain places that people do walk their dogs in groups. ill trty to find out from a mates mate where he brings his

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TimeonmyHands

I live in the Castletroy area of the city...have a car so location (with the few exceptions of course :)) within the city would not be an issue.

I've tried locating info on the net on a number of occasions on Dog Walking Groups in Limerick but have been unable to find anything.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

How about aking Elly from whiskers n paws? Here is her website.

www.whiskersnpaws.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I live in the Castletroy area of the city...have a car so location (with the few exceptions of course :)) within the city would not be an issue.

I've tried locating info on the net on a number of occasions on Dog Walking Groups in Limerick but have been unable to find anything.

I think if you google "dogging+Limerick" you should get a few suitable locations.

I have heard Curraghchase is quiet popular :D

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I think if you google "dogging+Limerick" you should get a few suitable locations.

Took your advice and googled "dogging+limerick":eek::eek: Had a great laugh at what it threw up...swingers, wife swapping etc. definately not what I was looking for:P

Curraghchase is fab for daytime walks but not for dark winter afternoon which is what I'm after.

• Advertisement

Took your advice and googled "dogging+limerick":eek::eek: Had a great laugh at what it threw up...swingers, wife swapping etc. definately not what I was looking for:P

Curraghchase is fab for daytime walks but not for dark winter afternoon which is what I'm after.

Couldn't resist :D

On a more serious note, what you could look out for is floodlit areas where teams train. A lot soccer clubs have lights up and would be training during the winter. Crescent Comp might not be a bad spot as they have all weather pitches and the lights from those light up a good stretch of the rugby fields

Couldn't resist :D

On a more serious note, what you could look out for is floodlit areas where teams train. A lot soccer clubs have lights up and would be training during the winter. Crescent Comp might not be a bad spot as they have all weather pitches and the lights from those light up a good stretch of the rugby fields

Where is Crescent Comp:confused:

Sorry, It's Crescent Comprehensive Secondary School. It's just up beyond the crescent shopping center on the left hand side. They have a few big pitches side by side. I know people go jogging around there so there should be people around. Might not be ideal, but it might be some place to consider if you were stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Sorry, It's Crescent Comprehensive Secondary School. It's just up beyond the crescent shopping center on the left hand side. They have a few big pitches side by side. I know people go jogging around there so there should be people around. Might not be ideal, but it might be some place to consider if you were stuck.

as far as i can remember i don't think they allow dogs in comp..don't think they're too fond of doggys on their pitches..

would you try ul??i think you'll find it hard to find a place during the winter thats lit up and where you'll be able to leave him off the leash to be honest.. a lot of places that are lit up are pitches and you'll probably find that a lot a of people will be using them seen as they're lit up..
    is that new park in castletroy lit up in the evening time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leshogan

go down to the technological park when its dark, loads of light and dog can run around while you walk

have been doing it for years

what type of pooch you go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You should PM littlemissteach as she was looking to organise dog walking groups in Limerick a month or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just realised that it is not a recent thread, but if you are still around OP, then PM her.

leshogan wrote: »
    go down to the technological park when its dark, loads of light and dog can run around while you walk

have been doing it for years

what type of pooch you go

Hi Leshogan,

Fantastic, thanks for the information...is that LIT??
    My little fella is a Yorkshire Terrier. What's yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Most obvious solution would be UL imo - I used to drive out from town specifically, and never had any trouble there, light or dark. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

When it's dark I often take my dogs down to Cook Ireland for a run. It's in plassey technogical park, in behind 02. (I can give you better directions if you need them.) The staff car park is lit up but empty, there's plenty of green spaces between Cook and 02 to let your dog off lead and as that's a cul de sac it's safe in terms of traffic. I've never once had any hassle there.

Another thing you can do is join TopDog.ie It's an online forum for dog lovers. They have regular meet ups where everyone walks their dogs together and then grabs a cuppa together afterwards. Usually on a Saturday or Sunday. The most recent one was Curraghchase last weekend and the next one is Killarney National Park, this weekend. A very welcoming, friendly bunch of people so well worth joining the forum! :)

http://www.topdog.ie

Advertisement