Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science, Laptop?

Options
  • 02-09-2009 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

I know people have been saying that you don't need a laptop if you're doing Computer Science but is it really true? If you don't have one is there any chance you could fall behind as a result? Is it really practical to be relying on the college PC's for all your work? Would your life be much easier with your own laptop? Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭jingx3

It sounds like bringing in a laptop but not using it in class is the best way to go. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

RD77 wrote: »
    Would your life be much easier with your own laptop? Thanks for any replies

I personally believe it would be.

You can work on it at your own schedule and not rely on campus facilities.

If you are getting one, it might be worth seeing what software you may be using (e.g. programming) and ensuring it is up to spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Steve Higginson

I got through 4 years of Computer Science here just fine without a laptop. If you want one, go for it, but you don't need it for anything in the course. The labs for CS (LG12) have plenty of machines for you to do any coursework on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I know people have been saying that you don't need a laptop if you're doing Computer Science but is it really true?
    Yes.
    If you don't have one is there any chance you could fall behind as a result?
    Absolutely not.
    Is it really practical to be relying on the college PC's for all your work?
    Yes, they are perfectly adequate.
    Would your life be much easier with your own laptop?
    Not IMO.

Having access to a computer of your own to use at home is a good idea, but by no means essential. And as I've said before, I'd actively discourage people from bringing laptops into college.

If it's a case of having a computer at home so you can work on assignments at home, then yes, I'd encourage you to get one. If you already have an OK PC at home you've access to, I wouldn't bother for the sake of your academic work alone.

Also, learn how to ssh and scp asap and save EVERYTHING on your college webspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

have to agree with the post above , it is handy to have a laptop but definitely not a necessity,

as for me i got one when i started,saying i need it for studying and practical work , but the truth was i just wanted a new computer :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Kenno90 wrote: »
    the truth was i just wanted a new computer :rolleyes:
    And essentially, that's what it comes down to.

Want a new computer? Go right ahead. But don't be pressured into buying one because you think you'll really need it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

A brand new macbook is ESSENTIAL for CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

You could survive without one but I found having one to be handy enough. Even just being able to bring your laptop up to the library and concentrate on programming there instead of having to do it in a noisy computer lab. But yeah they can be pretty distracting in lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Labs can be and are noisy. When you have a laptop, you can work on stuff wherever you are, be in a lab, the library or at home, without having to transfer stuff on USB keys or logging on to some network drive to get your data. This is the #1 reason for getting a laptop.

#2 benefit is that you control the machine you're running on, and as such have control for demos. You don't need to worry about X computer not working or Y lab machine taking 15 minutes to login.

#3 benefit is that you're the admin, and can install software as you choose. The lab machines are not always equipped exactly as you may need them. I'll give an example - this year I had an assignment involving SunSPOTs, and you pretty much need to use Netbeans to get stuff transferred onto them. Was Netbeans installed on any lab machine? No. Sure, I probably could have installed it to my userspace, but that would probably also have meant I'd need to use that one lab machine each time, and also that it would run dog slow. Better off installing it myself on a laptop I administer, and knowing it's always there.

You don't need a top end job. The basic Dell Inspiron 15 with an upgrade to a dual-core Pentium will run you for 464 including postage. You don't need any more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

If you're one of those people that are addicted to the internet (need to check boards/email/facebook/twitter/everything) a few times a day or you get hives you'll probably need a laptop. It depends though. Like if you have a computer at home and you live at home you'll definitely survive with lab use (computer labs for CS ppl are adequate while computer labs (at least in my time) for other undergrads was inadequate). Like if you're going to live on campus or move away you may as well get one if you can afford it. I don't think they'll make you much more productive on the whole. Also where else are you going to warez/download pron to?

• Advertisement
Advertisement