Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found this hilarious.

• 16-09-2009 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi CatacombKittens,

You have been banned from After Hours for the following duration:

7 Day(s)

for the following reason:

Calling another user a sociopath

Not expecting it to be reversed or anything, nor am I that bothered, but it is pretty hilarious. I get the feeling if it wasn't a moderator I was talking about I would have gotten away with it, even if they did something any balanced human being wouldn't. It would have nice if ye were honest about it like that. I thought I'd explain why I said that at least.

Before I signed up here, I read a thread by several ex-Boards members I'm sure you know and love on Thumped about a moderator Theadydal. I got linked to a thread where someone was suicidal, really on the brink and just needed someone to talk to. Thaedydal locked that thread almost immediately, and told them to talk to the Samaritans, "The Professionals"(what). I'm near certain this has happened multiple times. I'm sorry, but it's widely accepted the best thing to do with a person like this is to talk to them and shutting off an avenue like this is only going to make it worse. You can't go off and tell them to talk to someone else. That's further rejection, and there's no guarantee it's better for them. If they came here it's for a reason.

Someone who was capable of putting themselves in that person's shoes and feeling for them would not have done that. That's why I feel it was apt to throw around the weighty accusation of sociopath. I don't think a person like that should be a mod. There are internet equivalents to a lot of things and people forget that sociopath is one of them. Upholding rules is not more important than human life, even if it's a relatively small probability. Putting legal paranoia before someone's well-being is the measure of a bad person for me.

So when I join this forum months later, I see a thread on suicide saying that yes the best thing to do is talk about it, which is being rather hypocritically thanked by several mods some of whom no doubt are buddy buddy with this one. I joined this forum knowing this and have refrained from commenting up until now, but this is too much.

As far as I'm concerned, Thaedydal could very likely have killed someone and I got punished for pointing this out. That is, as they say, not on. You're creating an environment where people with poor social interface can take harmful courses of action without any consequences. Me saying "Sociopath" isn't likely to do much damage, especially to someone who could care less if someone was about to top themselves. Shooting down a suicidal person probably is, if only psychologically.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatacombKittens

Also, the arguments that mods were staying up all night, anyone can leap in etc. is the biggest load of piss.

There are countless other forums that allow it. Nobody expects moderators to stay up all the night, that's unreasonable. That doesn't mean you make that person feel worse by shooting them down. I think what Boards mods don't understand is that nothing is worse than that. People are used to getting "Lol kill yourself" remarks and they're obviously just asshole trolls. When a mod gives a big, shiny, official stamp of rejection, that's something that matters. If people are throwing abuse, at least there's still hope that someone will come along and save the day. Much like with suicide, there is always hope in life, but there is no hope from death. I find it unbelievable that the boards mods can't make this observation. I think you only care that if something goes wrong, you'll get sued again. Personally I hope it happens anyway under your current policy(and is more likely to happen). You deserve it.

And people shouldn't be throwing abuse if the mods were doing their jobs, anyway.

You remind me of American Xenophobes saying how universal healthcare "can't work" when it does in other countries. If what you were saying was true, there would be a lot more forums that ban talking about suicide. Unfortunately the mods are too busy sticking up for each other to consider that maybe their philosophy is in the wrong. This isn't just me saying this. Once one or two people get an idea in their heards you get this impenetrably cirlce jerk and that is exactly what's happened here. This is the only forum I have been on that I have seen this policy on. This includes forums of comparable size(like Harmony Central).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Unfortunately the mods are too busy sticking up for each other to consider that maybe their philosophy is in the wrong....Once one or two people get an idea in their heards you get this impenetrably cirlce jerk and that is exactly what's happened here. This is the only forum I have been on that I have seen this policy on.

I was with you until this bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

electing sociopaths as moderators

I think you'll find it's Cronyism

ObamaSmug.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Paging Karl Hungus. Karl Hungus to the checkout please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Rozie is that you?

The issue about locking thread in PI with a suicide risk was already addressed by the admin/owners of this site and it is the site policy to do just that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055510008

The thread on thumped was part of a nasty series of attacks by someone who pestered me by email,
    stalked me on various emailing lists and put vicious comments on my blogs.
    Thankfully the admin at thumped kindly removed my email address after that person was trying to
    get people to send me hateful emails and also locked that thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I think I'll take my advice on mental health issues from someone who is at least aware that there is actually no such thing as a diagnosis of sociopathy (the diagnosis was changed to psychopath for the DSM III and anti-social personality disorder/APD for the DSM-IV and DSM-IV-R).

Regarding your other point, mods are not mental health professionals (as I am going to assume you aren't either) and are not qualified to deal with or assist people who are suicidal and like all other unqualified persons (ie. the vast majority of people on boards, the people who would reply to that thread) are at risk of doing more damage than good in that situation. The users are directed towards people who are qualified and better able to help them - in this case the samaritans. No amount of bleeding heart stuff changes the basic facts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Hi Rozie

.o/

Hang on, it's Rozie?

Maybe the OP knows more about mental health problems than I had given them credit for so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Thaedydal wrote:
    Sorry to hear that happened Blitz, I know how much the hat means to you.
    Bastards may theynever have a moments luck and may they die roaring in pain.

To be fair I think anyone who posts this is entitled to be called a sociopath

aDeener wrote: »
    To be fair I think anyone who posts this is entitled to be called a sociopath

Have you any idea of what the diagnosis of a sociopath was? Before it became completely defunct and ceased to be recognised as a clinical mental illness several decades ago that is

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thaed is infallible, surely you know that by now.

Any questions --> modconspiracy@boards.ie

orestes wrote: »
    Have you any idea of what the diagnosis of a sociopath was? Before it became completely defunct and ceased to be recognised as a clinical mental illness several decades ago that is

Sociopathy otherwise known as antisocial personality disorder
    A personality disorder characterized by chronic antisocial behavior and violation of the law and the rights of others.

Wanting someone to die "roaring in pain" for the theft of a hat fulfils the conditions set out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I thought the address was modbastards@boards.ie :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I got elected Pope?
    Why didn't someone tell me?

Sociopathy otherwise known as antisocial personality disorder

Incorrect. The term sociopath carries zero weight in psychological circles as it is no longer recognised as a clinical illness. The disorder was retermed psychopathy and later to antisocial personality disorder and the diagnostic criteria were altered. They are not the same thing. And I'm willing to bet my academic research into the subject have been more informative than your typing the question into answers.com.
    Wanting someone to die "roaring in pain" for the theft of a hat fulfils the conditions set out.

You might want to head off to dictionary.com and check what chronic means.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Macros42 wrote: »
    I thought the address was modbastards@boards.ie :confused:
    leagueofbastards@boards.ie - different department :/
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    I got elected Pope?
    Leave pimpey out of this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

CatacombKittens, I can see where you're coming from and you have made some very fair points, but calling anyone a "sociopath", based on something they have posted to a message-board, is abusive - and very personal. It is something any person would get banned for saying about anyone - the fact it was said about a moderator is absolutely irrelevant. It's a very low blow, as are your "any balanced human being", "Thaedydal could have killed someone" jibes here. Moderators are members outside the forums they moderate anyway. There have been requests (from mods) for the "moderator" tag/bolded username to show up only in the relevant forums but this has proven to be unfeasible.
    I have been banned and infracted as a moderator - and not for anything major (that's not a whinge about those reprimands but I'm just trying to drive home the point that it doesn't have to take anything huge for a moderator to be admonished).
    The situation in question was an extremely difficult one to call and not only was there the risk of /b/-type trolling but also well intentioned yet incorrect, untrained advice and misinterpretations. A person who is suicidal is not just "feeling down", it's far more complex than that and non professionals offering them advice could be treading a potentially dangerous road.
    Why are you almost certain it has happened multiple times? I do remember one other thread started by a person who was suicidal and, yes, some genius did post something along the lines of "Why don't you do it? Everyone hates you anyway" plus the person moderating that particular thread was extremely upset and shaken by it.
    So when I join this forum months later, I see a thread on suicide saying that yes the best thing to do is talk about it, which is being rather hypocritically thanked by several mods some of whom no doubt are buddy buddy with this one.
    Y'see, this is one of the misconceptions that keeps cropping up - mods are this homogenous group operating as cogs in one wheel. How on earth is it hypocritical of them to thank that post just because of the thread you're referring to? They didn't even have anything to do with it - and may not even know about it. The only link is... they're mods.
    As far as I'm concerned, Thaedydal could very likely have killed someone and I got punished for pointing this out. That is, as they say, not on.
    No, you got punished for being abusive.
    someone who could care less if someone was about to top themselves.
    That's one heck of an accusation...
    Much like with suicide, there is always hope in life, but there is no hope from death. I find it unbelievable that the boards mods can't make this observation.
    Huh?! "The Boards mods"? There are hundreds of mods here and you won't even grasp that we're all individuals?
    I think you only care that if something goes wrong, you'll get sued again.
    Well you think wrongly. Your conspiracy theories are quite something - that thread was locked due to fear of legal repercussions... wtf?!
    And people shouldn't be throwing abuse if the mods were doing their jobs, anyway.
    How would that work? It doesn't even make sense.
    Unfortunately the mods are too busy sticking up for each other to consider that maybe their philosophy is in the wrong.
    Oh jeez, that comment has gone beyond broken record territory at this stage - way beyond it. I have very little time for certain mods as posters on Boards.ie (I emphasise as posters - I don't know them personally) and certain mods have very little time for me as a poster.
    Plenty of mods operate independently of each other/have no dealings with each other whatsoever - I don't understand how becoming a moderator automatically makes them all think the same...

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I got elected Pope?
    Funnily enough this man's victims also died "roaring in pain"

Funnily enough this man's victims also died "roaring in pain"

That was kinda the point Thaedydal was making.

Incorrect. The term sociopath carries zero weight in psychological circles as it is no longer recognised as a clinical illness. The disorder was retermed psychopathy and later to antisocial personality disorder and the diagnostic criteria were altered. They are not the same thing. And I'm willing to bet my academic research into the subject have been more informative than your typing the question into answers.com.

You might want to head off to dictionary.com and check what chronic means.

okay then, how about someone with a distorted or non-existent sense of objective reality?

• Advertisement

That was kinda the point Thaedydal was making.

I took it up that she meant people were thinking she thought she was infallible

I took it up that she meant people were thinking she thought she was infallible

It was both, that was the joke.
    okay then, how about someone with a distorted or non-existent sense of objective reality?

That is completely and utterly the opposite of sociopathy.

It was both, that was the joke.

That is completely and utterly the opposite of sociopathy.

Yes I know, I thought it was clear from my previous post that I retracted the sociopath statement. And now I am asking your amazing intellect (who seems to be able to read posters minds from their "jokes":rolleyes:) would someone who would love to see a person who stole a hat die "roaring in pain" have a distorted or non-existent sense of objective reality?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Gotta love how aDeener's taken over Rozie's the OP's crusade

Yes I know, I thought it was clear from my previous post that I retracted the sociopath statement.

It wasn't, it would have been if you had said you were retrcting the sociopath statement but as it was put it looked to me like you were trying to qualify it and were incorrect in doing so.
    And now I am asking your amazing intellect (who seems to be able to read what posters minds from their "jokes":rolleyes:)

My intellect isn't amazing, I just happen to have knowledge of the particular subject matter at hand and know what a joke is.
    would someone who would love to see a person who stole a hat die "roaring in pain" have a distorted or non-existent sense of objective reality?

No, they would not. What makes you say they would?

It wasn't, it would have been if you had said you were retrcting the sociopath statement but as it was put it looked to me like you were trying to qualify it and were incorrect in doing so.

My intellect isn't amazing, I just happen to have knowledge of the particular subject matter at hand and know what a joke is.

No, they would not. What makes you say they would?

what would they be then? this is surely not a normal feeling to possess over the theft of someone elses hat, not even their own, you that has a knowledge of this particular subject matter.

what would they be then? this is surely not a normal feeling

Define normal?

Sorry, but these things aren't exactly cut and dry when it comes to diagnosis and one instance and statement is hardly enough to base a fully informed opinion of a person on let alone attempt a medical diagnosis.

Define normal?

Sorry, but these things aren't exactly cut and dry when it comes to diagnosis and one instance and statement is hardly enough to base a fully informed opinion of a person on let alone attempt a medical diagnosis.

come off it would ya, so it's perfectly acceptable to wish for other's to "die roaring in pain" then? yes or no. there is either something wrong with her or she has an inability to admit when she's wrong.

come off it would ya, so it's perfectly acceptable to wish for other's to "die roaring in pain" then? yes or no.

Depending on the circumstances, yes it is completely acceptable and understandable, it's called anger. Seeing a friend and someone you care about be robbed of something that holds immense personal and sentimental value for them falls under those circumstances in my opinion.

Trying to build a psychological profile or perform a clinical diagnosis based on a single statement is ridiculous, it is just not possible, and trying to do it over a single statement made on an internet forum is so ludicrous that I can hardly believe I am actually entertaining this conversation at this point.
    there is either something wrong with her or she has an inability to admit when she's wrong.

Anger at a friend being wronged means there is something wrong with you? Rather ironically, that sounds slightly sociopathic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

someone who could care less if someone was about to top themselves.

The correct term would be "could not care less".

PS I believe you when you say you're "Not bothered" by all this, given the extensive posts you've made on the topic so far ;)

An example of what can happen when people are allowed to give advice to a suicidal person on the internet:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/21/florida-teen-live-streams_n_145499.html

Because there's always going to be one idiot who thinks it's funny to say "go on, do it!".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement