Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea for a recommendations thread?

• 22-09-2009 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Since we see a lot of threads asking for recommendations on TV shows, I was wondering if it'd be an idea to create one thread specifically for it, like a sticky or something.

What I was picturing was a thread where there was no discussion at all. Each post contains one series with a little information on it. If others have seen the show and recommend it, then they thank the thread and you can see which shows are popular.

I was thinking to a format of:

Title:
    Cast:
    Description:
    Links:

So, for example I could put:
    Title: House
    Cast: Hugh Laurie, Lisa Edelstein, Omar Epps, Jesse Spencer, Jennifer Morrison, Robert Sean Leonard
    Description: An antisocial maverick doctor who specializes in diagnostic medicine does whatever it takes to solve puzzling cases that come his way using his crack team of doctors and his wits
    Links:
    TV.Com
    IMDB.Com
    Everyone thanks that post if they liked it, and newcomers can see how popular it is. Seemples!

There's no point putting things like the current series, when or where it's on and stuff like that in there as this information is likely to change constantly. Maybe if a show has finished, it'd be worth mentioning how many series it did or maybe what date it started on.

As I said, there's be no discussion and definitely no commenting on a previous post while posting your own recommendations (which is how most people get around the rule on photo threads in other forums).

Does this make sense and does anyone think it's a good idea? It'd be handy resource for finding new shows and it'll (hopefully) cut down on all the "Recommend me a show" posts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I object to it because you used the word seemples in your post. I want to punch that meercat in the face.

OK, its a good idea, but could turn out to be a single page thread. Plus once someone mentions "House" (for example), no-one else can mention it.

Worth a trial through..... feel free to kick it off, and I'll try and keep it tidied up.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anything to cut down those ridiculous "Find me a new show to watch!" threads.
    Standard reply #1: Breaking Bad
    Standard reply #2: The Shield
    Standard reply #3: The Wire... /thread
    Standard reply #4: Any other HBO / Showtime productions

** and rinse and repeat **

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

It's not a bad idea but I'm not sure it would cut down on all those "what should I watch next?" threads... If the recommendations thread becomes huge, people won't go through it. They'll look at the first page they land on and if the shows on it are not to their liking, they'll just start a new thread along the lines of "I like Law & Order, will I also enjoy Law & Order: Elevator Inspectors Unit?"...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mr E wrote: »
    I object to it because you used the word seemples in your post. I want to punch that meercat in the face.

OK, its a good idea, but could turn out to be a single page thread. Plus once someone mentions "House" (for example), no-one else can mention it.

Worth a trial through..... feel free to kick it off, and I'll try and keep it tidied up.
    I like that meercat. :(

When I get a bit of time later I'll start the thread up and sure we can see if it works or not.

Sure if it gets too huge, then another could be started, or maybe by then the idea would of fizzled out.

Oh, and if anyone has any ideas as to any other information that should be posted in each post, then it'd be handy. I think I might add "Genre" to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think it's a good idea and should be there to replace the "find me a tv show" type threads, which are really annoying at this stage. If this thread was stickied and rules added to the charter about creating new threads about recommending tv shows those threads should be deleted. It would make more sense than all the regular users recommending the same 3 tv shows several times a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

As soon as it's close to dropping off the front page, I'll sticky it. It'll get better input as an active thread.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think this might work better as a wiki/biki page so it would be easier to navigate by genre, cross-reference the actors' names and update the entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LilKitty

I looked at the format but the problem is I want to ask a more specific question and there doesn't seem to be anyway to do that. More in the format I'm looking for shows like ? and then get recommendations. The thread just mentions shows in general but doesn't allow for anything else and it seems nowhere on this site does. Please correct if I'm wrong about the last part. I felt this was a good set of forums to ask about because it's about UK shows and so many others are more American in nature.

Advertisement