Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does a Yes vote Mean?

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

The Yes side seem to spend most of their time either shouting that the No side are liars or warning us of the impending doom should we vote no.

What does a Yes vote mean to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

To me it means:

1. Making fighting climate change a stated policy of the Union.
    2. Cheaper, cleaner electricity due to increasing Union competence in energy, while tied to point 1.
    3. Giving our (Ireland, and Europe's) values and ethics a stronger voice on the world stage by allowing a unanimously approved common foreign policy.

That's my top 3 anyway.

Secondarily:
    I like:
    Space becoming a competence of the EU, I think the greatest thing man has done is leave our planet, no other living species in the history of the Earth has done this.
    The European Parliament gaining more powers over approval, or rejection of legislation. These are our only directly elected representatives in the EU.
    QMV changes, will allow more countries to enter the EU without everyone having to negotiate how many votes they will get, the QMV changes will make it automatic, and mean we are guaranteed not to lose out in negotiations. We are a relatively small country, so this is important for us.

I could probably think of more, but that's it off the top of my head...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

To me it mostly means a much better connection between the EU and the citizen. Lisbon spreads both information about EU legislation, and the ability to do something about it, much further than the Cabinet table, and deepens it in existing areas. Maybe the man in the street won't care about that, but if you're politically engaged, I think it will prove its worth over time. Lisbon significantly reduces the democratic deficit.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

great thread!

To me (beside points brought up above) YES to Lisbon means:

* improving the economy and attracting more investment

* A fight against cross border crime

* A fight against human trafficking and sex trafficking

* A transparent EU with no meetings being held behind closed doors anymore

* Being able to get the attention of the EU via Citizens Initiative and collecting a million signatures across the Union

* A EU which can deal with the emergence of states like Russia and China on the world stage and compete with them

Lisbon is not perfect but its a step in a right direction, unlike voting NO which gets us nowhere

more reasons to vote YES here and here

/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The simplified revision procedure allows small changes to be made more quickly and easily so problems can be addressed as they arise instead of having to wait sometimes years and throw it in with a load of other issues. More efficient and effective and allows the union to adapt to changing circumstances

Its limitations are very important though, that decisions can only be made in specific areas, when all member states agree and in line with their constitutional requirements, meaning that if the issue would require a referendum now it'll still require one.

And the procedure can't be used to increase the competences of the union

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

It gives the citizens of the member states more input into the decision making that normally takes place in the upper levels, both directly and indirectly: more power to the MEPs, increased ability of national parliaments to have their say on proposals, and by allowing the people to petition the Commission to discuss legislation.

It enables to EU to take a stand on climate change, and the common energy policy just might result in cheaper energy for Ireland, since we can avail of the bargaining power of the EU.

If we choose to participate in a collective foreign policy, we'll gain a louder voice on the world stage: backed by 26 other countries we have a lot more power internationally than we would alone.

The Charter of Fundamental Rights is a step further in the protection of civil rights and personal freedom.

Advertisement