Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting Cards

Options
  • 30-09-2009 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Just got my voting card uesterday.

What a farce, the voting card is attached to a propaganda booklet. What is this coming too when even the voting card itself is attached to a load of pro Lisbon rhetoric?

Absolute disgrace.

And before anyone chirps in about "informing the people", if you're not informed after two years of this, you never will be.

NO TO LISBON.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

What is this rhetoric? I haven't looked at mine but from what I've heard it's just the change that will be made to the constitution if the vote passes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

What a farce, the voting card is attached to a propaganda booklet. What is this coming too when even the voting card itself is attached to a load of pro Lisbon rhetoric?

Absolute disgrace.

And before anyone chirps in about "informing the people", if you're not informed after two years of this, you never will be.

NO TO LISBON.

LOL :).

The only thing attached to the polling card is the text of the amendment that will be inserted into the constitution in the event of a yes vote. :rolleyes:

Telling people exactly what they are voting on is propeganda now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SineadLewis

Correct, and has the vote passed yet????????????????

Just send me the voting card on its own. I don't need anything else with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Maybe you don't but you are not everyone in the country. What is the big problem with being told exactly what changes will be made to the constitution if the vote passes? How is that "propaganda"?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I personally think it is a great idea to tell people what the question is before voting. Thats just me though.

Or would you prefer to vote yes or no first, and then be told what the toipic was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hmm...

Would you like a cup of tea? The tea will be a little milky with one and a half sugars.

STOP THE PRO TEA PROPAGANDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111eleven

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

This is truly the most bizarre thread I've seen about the treaty. People shouldn't be told why they're having a referendom? Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

What part of the text do you regard as propaganda?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So if you are signing a complicated contract for purchasing a house, you would ignore the Solictors advice and not sign it. OK

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

On polling cards I always get two, one to my home in Limerick and one to my Dublin address?
    Would I be able to vote twice? Im not going to but Im sure there are lots of people that can get away with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

:D

This is the funniest thread I have seen in a long while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Diom wrote: »
    :D

This is the funniest thread I have seen in a long while.

I think its the saddest thread I have seen in a long while.

i fear for this country

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Absolute disgrace.

NO TO LISBON.

The Fuhrer also dislikes people knowing what they're voting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

marco_polo wrote: »
    LOL :).

The only thing attached to the polling card is the text of the amendment that will be inserted into the constitution in the event of a yes vote. :rolleyes:

Telling people exactly what they are voting on is propeganda now is it?

Seems the No campaigners would prefer people didn't know what they were voting on. Knowledge is bias!

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Stark wrote: »
    Seems the No campaigners would prefer people didn't know what they were voting on. Knowledge is bias!

Being informed is just another way of being brainwashed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

The OP makes a very good point.

Sure, the booklet seems to tell you what you'll be voting on. But does it tell you that we'll all be enslaved by the Illuminati if we vote yes?!

Vote no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    I think its the saddest thread I have seen in a long while.

i fear for this country

:(

On the back of one thread that no one so far has agreed with? There has always been people in our society that take extremly divergent views to the rest of us.

The OP is classic example. She views the infomation as propaganda will almost everyone else sees it as nothing more than a dull legal text that explain what exaclty will be inserted into the consitution. Such people have always existed. Prehaps we were never truely aware of this and the internet has brought them light. I wouldn't loose to much sleep over it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

This OP was such a facepalm moment that I actually laughed out loud. Dear God...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

cornbb wrote: »
    This OP was such a facepalm moment that I actually laughed out loud. Dear God...

Which assumes of course that this isn't yet another person with multiple logins who knows well they are talking rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

if you're not informed after two years of this, you never will be.

I agree, if you still haven't bothered informing yourself after two years of this, there's no hope for you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I guess that, for some people, if a document doesn't at least contain the words "abortion", "turkey", "minimum wage", "elite" or "minions of a European superstate" that must mean its pro-Lisbon propoganda.

cornbb wrote: »
    I guess that, for some people, if a document doesn't at least contain the words "abortion", "turkey", "minimum wage", "elite" or "minions of a European superstate" that must mean its pro-Lisbon propoganda.

you forgot euthanasia administered by same sex couples. or something

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭moogester

Ireland is in a highly unusual situation in our increasingly globalised world, in not allowing the majority of its overseas citizens any say in the political process.

There is no law against Irish abroad voting, there is simply no law to facilitate it. The voting procedure for citizens living abroad is easy - you fly home to do it.

For the Irish living in the UK and continental Europe and who are still legally resident in Ireland, voting is a possibility, albeit an expensive and somewhat inconvenient one.

Most simply can't afford the time or the plane ticket to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

One post on this forum I saw recently was that because Ireland's slightly relaxed citizenship and nationality law allows people with grandparents to become Irish citizens, then there'd be far too many Irish "citizens" who've never lived here eligble to vote.

The UK has a fully integrated postal voting system that anyone can use. Ireland has a complex tight system where you've to apply and wait to be accepted for a postal vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

moogester wrote: »
    Ireland is in a highly unusual situation in our increasingly globalised world, in not allowing the majority of its overseas citizens any say in the political process.

There is no law against Irish abroad voting, there is simply no law to facilitate it. The voting procedure for citizens living abroad is easy - you fly home to do it.

For the Irish living in the UK and continental Europe and who are still legally resident in Ireland, voting is a possibility, albeit an expensive and somewhat inconvenient one.

Most simply can't afford the time or the plane ticket to do it.

No way do I want people who live outside Ireland, some of whom have never lived here, to decide things for those of us who live here. I would relent if they paid their taxes here. No representation without taxation.

Do our tax exiles who maintain homes here have a vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

No way do I want people who live outside Ireland, some of whom have never lived here, to decide things for those of us who live here. I would relent if they paid their taxes here. No representation without taxation.

Do our tax exiles who maintain homes here have a vote?

Are you referring to the people who live outside the country for a hundred and something days a year to avoid paying tax ? Well if they're still Irish citizens, are still on the register and make it to their designated polling station on Friday then yeah I'd imagine they will have a vote waiting for them.

I'd love to know how many of the CEOs pushing for a yes vote avail of that lucrative tax break.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1001/1224255613265.html

Seems I am not the only one unhappy with this propaganda farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1001/1224255613265.html

And where is the voting booklet mentioned as being 'propaganda' in that article...?

Funglegunk wrote: »
    And where is the voting booklet mentioned as being 'propaganda' in that article...?

and who said it was mentioned?

Are you one of these new ireland people, anything in the name of "progress".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

and who said it was mentioned?".

That article is about some constituents ringing up their local TD about not receiving their polling cards... and here is what you said:

How is that article in any way relevant to a 'propaganda farce'?
    Are you one of these new ireland people, anything in the name of "progress".

Ok, now you've lost me....

Advertisement