Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little help please?

Options
  • 07-10-2009 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭

Now, this is a story all about how
    My life got flipped-turned upside down
    And I liked to take a minute
    Just sit right there
    N' tell ya how I got a ban from AH, boo hoo its not fair!

Terry wrote:
    The English are the biggest bunch of **** that ever walked the earth

Link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62370492&postcount=33

In a jokey retort, note the '=P', despite the fact that it was in fact quite harsh, given we do have English users on boards.ie.
    Abigayle wrote:
    Don't suppose you would you like to apologise for being racist while you're at it? We all have our days Terry, but it was a bit... angry. If it helps, my great great great granny gets where you're coming from =P

Several days later;
    Terry wrote:
    Banned from After Hours
    Hi Abigayle,

You have been banned from After Hours for the following duration:

7 Day(s)

for the following reason:

You called me a racist.
    Don't suppose you would you like to apologise for being racist while you're at it? We all have our days Terry, but it was a bit... angry. If it helps, my great great great granny gets where you're coming from =P

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 7 Day(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the alloted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.
    Also, please be aware that an abusive response to this automated message may result in an extension of your ban, or in extreme cases, being banned from the entire site.

Thanks,

Forum Moderator.

Now. Purely for my own education of course, I wanted to find out how as a normally charter-abiding boardsie like myself could slip up in this way? So I embarked on operation 'Other Shoe', in an effort to understand my wrong-doings.

So I posted in humanities in the "Race relations in Ireland" thread, ironically enough; Terrys exact quote. I've PM'ed the mod in question, apologizing for my action and promised to never re-offend in the forum. The post was rightfully deleted, and I was rightfully infracted:
    MiCr0 wrote:
    Dear Abigayle,

You have received an infraction at boards.ie.

Reason: Breach of Forum Charter
    this is for the stupid post in humanities

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
    [post]62439644[/post]
    The English are the biggest bunch of **** that ever walked the earth :)

All the best,
    boards.ie

Note the reason :)

Of course, I was not being truly offensive. I apologize profusely to anyone I may have offended in the process, and I assure you I have some very dear English friends thanks to boards!

In conclusion: It is perfectly acceptable to make racist remarks, yet a bannable offense to point them out; jokingly or otherwise.

So, how come? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The AH charter states that calling someone a racist is a bannable offence.
    How am I supposed to know you're joking?
    =p doesn't tell me anything.

Humanities is the complete opposite of AH.

My remark was made in jest. I know it was because I made it.

The reason your ban was given a few days after the post is because my router is borked and I am having trouble getting on-line.
    I'll lift it now. It's about a week since the post was made anyway.

Try sending me a PM next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Terry wrote: »
    The AH charter states that calling someone a racist is a bannable offence.
    How am I supposed to know you're joking?
    =p doesn't tell me anything.

I understand perfectly that it is pointless saying this to you, but I'll say it because I'm entitled to. I believe you chose not to see it.
    Humanities is the complete opposite of AH.
    It seemed apt, given how seriously I took your comment.
    My remark was made in jest. I know it was because I made it.
    Your remark was racist, I know that because you didn't indicate otherwise.
    The reason your ban was given a few days after the post is because my router is borked and I am having trouble getting on-line.
    I'll lift it now. It's about a week since the post was made anyway.
    I appreciate that Terry.
    Try sending me a PM next time.
    I don't go out of my way to cause trouble in AH Terry, granted my own views might not go down a storm, but I don't offend.

Nevertheless, thank you for reviewing the ban.

Could somebody please lock this thread? I'm done here :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement