Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neuroscience?

Options
  • 21-10-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

do you need physics for neuroscience?
    whats the points for this course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

No.
    About 450, general entry via Science TR071.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭CJTobin

You'll cover two years of general science, and then branch off into neuroscience for the final two years of your degree.

You'll likely benefit from having Biology 101 & 102 as well as Chemistry 101 & 102, and choose either full maths or Maths Methods + one other ten credit subject to make up the remainder of your credits in first year.

You might find this link helpful:

http://www.tcd.ie/Science/

Good luck, whatever you pick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

CJTobin wrote: »
    You'll cover two years of general science, and then branch off into neuroscience for the final two years of your degree.

You'll likely benefit from having Biology 101 & 102 as well as Chemistry 101 & 102, and choose either full maths or Maths Methods + one other ten credit subject to make up the remainder of your credits in first year.

You might find this link helpful:

http://www.tcd.ie/Science/

Good luck, whatever you pick!

Doing Bio and Chem for LC makes life so much easier for yourself in the course. Although most people haven't done one or the other and manage fine

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

Craguls wrote: »
    Doing Bio and Chem for LC makes life so much easier for yourself in the course. Although most people haven't done one or the other and manage fine
    yea i do bio and chem,but i was asking abt it because in ucd u have to do physics so i was wondering if its a demanding course with lots of work and if the chemistry is hard too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Points for Science in TCD were 440 this year.

You dont need Physics for it in UCD........

Modules taken in Neuroscience

There is one, kinda (I'd still take it if I were you) optional physics module over the course of the entire degree.

• Advertisement

ayumi wrote: »
    yea i do bio and chem,but i was asking abt it because in ucd u have to do physics so i was wondering if its a demanding course with lots of work and if the chemistry is hard too

Well we haven't done anything new really so far that wasn't covered at leaving cert. Biology thus far was the cell just in more detail and now we've just started genetics.

Chemistry's a little tougher but thats largely due to me being out of practice with calculations. They cater to all sorts anyway, some of my new friends haven't done chemistry before but they're managing fine.

I was doing full maths but it was time consuming and difficult so I switched to maths methods which is just the leaving cert course again really.

You also so a 3 hour lab in each major science subject they can tough but manageable enough. Maths also has a one hour lab but you'll be out sooner than that if you know how to use spreadsheets and word processing

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

Craguls wrote: »
    Well we haven't done anything new really so far that wasn't covered at leaving cert. Biology thus far was the cell just in more detail and now we've just started genetics.

Chemistry's a little tougher but thats largely due to me being out of practice with calculations. They cater to all sorts anyway, some of my new friends haven't done chemistry before but they're managing fine.

I was doing full maths but it was time consuming and difficult so I switched to maths methods which is just the leaving cert course again really.

You also so a 3 hour lab in each major science subject they can tough but manageable enough. Maths also has a one hour lab but you'll be out sooner than that if you know how to use spreadsheets and word processing
    so u mean that i pick maths modules then maths 101 and maths 102.

ayumi wrote: »
    so u mean that i pick maths modules then maths 101 and maths 102.

You've a choice between two types of maths courses;

Maths; (which is the MA101 102 modules) is closer to pure maths. I found it to be quite difficult myself as did a bunch of other people in my year so alot of us have dropped to the easier maths methods course. The majority of people who take it are those doing physics because they have to. The one advantage of it though is that it doesn't have any labs in the second semester.

Maths Methods; this is the easier maths course. However it's only worth 10 credits and lasts only the first semester so you'd need to pick up geology or foundation physics to make up the credits. It's closer to if not much easier than Leaving cert HL. Only downside about picking it is that you've to pick up another subject in the second semester.

If you've anymore questions about the course don't hesitate to PM me, I was in your position last year.

Aside: How's the tedious and laborious nature of a science degree treating you Fad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DunneBox3000

Hi, about to sit my Leaving in a week and I'm going for science in TCD. Just wondering if anyone could help me out and describe what the course is like: workload, class-times etc. Also, equally important, what the atmosphere is like there- I'm dreading being surrounded by the socially inept for four years! Any info on this would be really appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Hi, about to sit my Leaving in a week and I'm going for science in TCD. Just wondering if anyone could help me out and describe what the course is like: workload, class-times etc. Also, equally important, what the atmosphere is like there- I'm dreading being surrounded by the socially inept for four years! Any info on this would be really appreciated, thanks.
    There are a shed load of threads on all of this before.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055649595&highlight=Science

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055781643&highlight=Science

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055871436&highlight=Science

to name a few.

You should find your answers in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DunneBox3000

Sorry about rehashing old ground. Solid information there, made things a lot clearer. Thanks!

Advertisement