Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official SE XPERIA X10 Thread

Options
  • 27-10-2009 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Read here - http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_x10_rachael_closer_to_officialdom-news-1207.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_x10-2964.php

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 (a.k.a. Rachael) just made another public appearance, confirming the rumors that its official announcement is coming as soon as 3 November. An official sales brochure of what is Sony Ericsson make-or-break project appeared online, revealing another particularly cool part of the handset.

Now back to that leaked XPERIA X10 sales brochure. The new fact that we managed to get out of it is that the Android-running handset will pack 32GB of internal memory, expandable even further with memory cards. That puts the XPERIA X10 on top of its class, matching the Nokia N97 record.

Just don't get overexcited about that 1080p logo on the brochure. Much like Sony advertise their digicams, we bet it doesn't have anything to do with video recording, but instead indicates that the camera can be set to capture FullHD 1920 x 1080 pixel images (which is mere 2 megapixels really, so not a big challenge for a 8 megapixel camera).

ANDROID!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

this is defo on my list of potentials since i'm getting a new phone.

between this, the HD2 or maybe the motorolla droid.

but no doubt the x3 will be priced at about €700 sim free :( anywho roll on Nov 3!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The X10 has been announced and Engadget have pictures, video and a hands-on report.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd really love to know the reason why SE decides to show off these devices when they're not yet ready for primetime. You'd think that they'd have learnt their lesson after the X1: a device that was shown off about 6 months before it was released, got huge press and by the time it finally made it to market the buzz had gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yeah they take a while after announcing phones before you can actually buy them, the Satio was announced in March and you can only buy it now.

The X2 will be available to buy in a few weeks, think that was just announced in September ( but i think they were waiting for windows 6.5 to be released)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I'd really love to know the reason why SE decides to show off these devices when they're not yet ready for primetime. You'd think that they'd have learnt their lesson after the X1: a device that was shown off about 6 months before it was released, got huge press and by the time it finally made it to market the buzz had gone.

Totally agree!
    But not just that: the X1 lacked features upon that very very delayed release like the live panels...

It's like their smartphone/feature phones devision is run by fickle kids.. Lets try wm...ooh boring...kill UIQ and play with s60 5th instead...boring...android...

But it's the company that scre*ed countless P990i user, and then did the same with P1 owners. It's the company with high end walkman-branded phones that come with a mile long proprietary adapter for the earphones; the company that insists on using a wide range of memory card types...

The trouble is: almost all their phones from low-end to high-end are too good to hate but too bad to really make an impact.

I think if you took a bunch of ppl with an above average interest in phones and asked them to spontaneously name a maker who could come up with an iPhone beater or a great allrounder or a great communicator to rival RIM or the E71, outside Esato not one peron would scream, 'Sony Ericsson'!

• Advertisement

Oops...forgot: another fickle-point: they made the k750... Single handedly created the notion of a phone cam to be reckoned with. Then it takes them ages to come up with a good 5mpixler... Then suddenly they prop 8mpixlers into walkman phones, and they suck...

Samsung, and I hate Samsung,...even samsung progress... The 5pm cam in the Jet is almost as good as the excellent 8mp cam in the original pixon! That is how to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

billbond4 wrote: »
    The X2 will be available to buy in a few weeks, think that was just announced in September ( but i think they were waiting for windows 6.5 to be released)

ye was actually thinking the X2 isn't even an sale yet and they are already started the PR for it's successor which will be based on a different OS.

I know I mightn't have the best business mind in the world but would it not have been better for them to fully launch the X2 before starting the PR bandwagon for the X10.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

I personally have a pain in my hole with these big launch announcements, and then it's not available for at least 4/5 months. The Palm Pre is a case in point. Announced last February I think. Pre-order with Expansys last March and then get an email last week to inform me I can now get it!! Totally lost interest in it by now.(Dodgey hardware,major lack of apps).
    Oh yeah as a previous poster pointed out, why the hell would you show a laggy piece of **** for a demo? Take a leaf from Apple's book. Anyway the rant is subsiding... Looks like an Acer Liquid for me(if it actually comes out this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

clacks wrote: »
    I personally have a pain in my hole with these big launch announcements, and then it's not available for at least 4/5 months. The Palm Pre is a case in point. Announced last February I think. Pre-order with Expansys last March and then get an email last week to inform me I can now get it!! Totally lost interest in it by now.(Dodgey hardware,major lack of apps).
    Oh yeah as a previous poster pointed out, why the hell would you show a laggy piece of **** for a demo? Take a leaf from Apple's book. Anyway the rant is subsiding... Looks like an Acer Liquid for me(if it actually comes out this year).

Well, you cannot blame the manufacturers for the idiocy of expansys and similar sites. Expansys will list almost any phone the moment it's announced. They listed the friggin 1st iPhone for preorder UK before it was out in the US! It's their way of making you revisit the site!
    Dito the confusion between launch and release and announcement.

On the other hand you're right. And SE are one of the worst offenders.

I would to a degree exclude the Pre! Palm were really in a desperate situation. They went 'all in', and it was important to hype hype hype...simply because pretty much the entire company was depending on a hit.
    But sony ericsson and the likes do it sooo regularly it's become ridiculous... And then Samsung with their, at times, daily announcements and launches, and inbetween they rename, and rename again in another country (winkwink, HTC)...

And of course Nokia 'leaked' the N97 Mini before the N97 was even on the market. Dito the N900...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Any idea of the price?

Key statistics:

* 2G Quad-Band / 3G Dual-Band + HSPA
    * Wi-Fi + Stereo Bluetooth V2.1
    * Integrated GPS
    * 4-inch TFT capacitive touchscreen
    * 854x480 pixel resolution
    * 116x62x12mm dimensions
    * 8-megapixel autofocus camera + LED flash
    * VGA video recording
    * Qualcomm Snapdragon processor (1GHz)
    * microSDHC memory expansion (8GB bundled)
    * microUSB charging socket
    * 3.5mm headphone jack
    * Android OS 1.6
    * Timescape & Mediascape UI enhancements
    * Face detection for image tagging
    * Available in black or white colours
    * 1500mAh BST-41 battery

http://www.whatmobile.net/News/mobil...oid_phone.html

more links:

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-ericss...-demo-0262527/
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/2921...ils-xperia-x10
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/2921...son-xperia-x10
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/02/s...e-go-hands-on/
    http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/11...ed-to-symbian/
    http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/11...one-unleashed/
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...c=rss&attr=all
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...c=rss&attr=all

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 first look
    November 3rd 2009, 0400 GMT
    Posted by: Jonathan Morris

What Mobile was fortunate enough to be invited along to get a first look at the new Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Android phone, ahead of the official announcement. Read on to get the full facts and a taste of what else is to come in 2010.

The launch of the Xperia X10 isn't, according to Sony Ericsson, simply the announcement that it’s releasing an Android device. Everyone has probably seen the spy shots and early specs, as well as concept videos showing off the new user experience. What Sony Ericsson didn't tell anyone was that this new experience reflects the future vision for the company – and the clever features shown on the flagship Xperia X10 will also appear on many more devices in 2010 and beyond.

The company also confirmed that it will be releasing fewer devices next year, and concentrating primarily on mid to high-end models - rather like the early days of Sony Ericsson when it was formed with handsets that included the T68i and the Symbian/UIQ smartphone, the P800i.

In fact, unless Sony Ericsson specifically receives a firm order from an operator to produce a batch of entry-level handsets, it seems unlikely they will even try to compete in that part of the market, preferring to allow other manufacturers to compete in a part of the market they have had little success in.

But, on to the X10 itself. Having seen lots of rumours out there, we’ve separated the facts from the fiction...

Rumoured: The X10 will have a 4.1-inch, OLED, capacitive touchscreen display.
    The truth: The X10 has a 4-inch, TFT, capacitive touchscreen display with a resolution of 854x480 pixels.

Rumoured: 1GHz Snapdragon processor.
    The truth: Yes, it will ship with a Snapdragon processor. The speed of the device is impressive, and it is essential for offering support for processor intensive tasks like rendering the animated UI and allowing the use of the face detection feature. Unfortunately, on the development model we saw, all of the Sony Ericsson developed features were slow and very laggy. It looks to be in need of a lot more work - but does prove thet fancy pre-rendered conceptual videos will soon make it into reality.

Rumoured: The X10 will be on sale in a matter of days or weeks.
    The truth: The phone is due for release in Q1 of 2010, and the sluggishness of many aspects of the phone means we’d expect it to be nearer the middle to end of Q1, although Sony Ericsson insisted it would not be a case of shipping it at 2359 on March 31st!

Rumoured: The X10 will be running Android OS 2.0
    The truth: This phone will ship with Android 1.6 and besides the Sony Ericsson UI enhancements, it’s a pretty standard offering with no support for multitouch, no enhancements to the web browser or other 2.0 features such as Bluetooth file transfer. Sony Ericsson didn’t confirm if it would be offering an upgrade path to Android 2.0 (and beyond), but it seems likely in view of what was said later regarding updates to Sony Ericsson devices in general.

Rumoured: 32GB of onboard storage.
    The truth: The phone will use memory cards, with an 8GB microSDHC card shipping with the device.

Rumoured: The X10 will have a completely unique user interface.
    The truth: This is mostly correct, with two key additions for handling contacts and multimedia - with a view to ‘humanising’ the user experience. Timescape and Mediascape are each integrated with the standard Android OS, rather like HTC’s Sense, to give a customised and unique user experience that makes it quick and easy to manage media, your contacts and social media that’s all integrated.

Rumoured: The phone will have integration with the Playstation 3 (like the Aino).
    The truth: Although it is feasible for such a feature to be made available via an application released in the future, the X10 has no native support for the service exclusively available on the current Aino (based on Sony Ericsson's A200 platform).

Other facts about the Xperia X10:

- It will use the same 1500mAh BST-41 battery as used on the Xperia X2 - actual battery life data was not confirmed
    - It has a 3.5mm headphone jack - but no integrated stand to sit the phone up for watching video (like the W995)
    - There’s no proprietary Sony Ericsson charging port; the X10 now uses the standardised microUSB connection hidden behind a cover - although on the prototype model this was removed. We’re not sure if it is designed to be removed, or was simply not present.

Another new feature is face detection for images. This isn’t the usual face detection for autofocus purposes or exposure adjustment (it has this too), but actual detection of people in photographs. Once a person is tagged, the phone will look for matches in your other photos. When everything is tagged, you can call people by selecting their face, and view pictures associated with the contact in your phonebook.

Other media, including Twitter tweets, Facebook status updates, texts, emails and so on will also be associated with each contact in your phonebook. At any time, you can communicate with a contact in a variety of different ways.

Meanwhile, the phone retains the standard Android notification bar and will run all Android applications designed to work on the higher resolution display - all accessible from the usual menu pulled up from the base of the screen.

On the back of the phone is the 8.1-megapixel autofocus camera already present on the C905, W995 and Aino/U10 - with an LED flash.

Sony Ericsson is planning to roll out the new user experience ('UX Platform') to future devices, including future Symbian devices. However, despite the recent release of the flagship Satio, this will not receive a retrospective update and will not feature any of the new features shown. Nor will the X10 have any branding onboard for the Walkman or Cyber-shot names. Sony Ericsson do, however, acknowledge that it is no longer just about making hardware and the company aims to be more focused on software in the future - providing more updates and support in the form of firmware updates and new applications.

The X10 will be available at launch in two colours; Luster White and Sensuous Black - pricing is yet to be confirmed.

http://www.whatmobile.net/Reviews/fi...irst_look.html

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Expansys.com have it on now for 587 sterling release date presumed April 22nd. Another thing of note is they have t as ANDROID 2.0 (not 1.6)
    http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=185317

I'd say it'll run Android 2.1

rizzee wrote: »
    I'd say it'll run Android 2.1
    Is there much of a difference?
    I like this phone as its sleek and slim which is why I opted out of the n900 as its too big and both do more or less the same thing

I don't know, I haven't researched android much after selling my Hero, I don't like it!

Have you seen live pictures of this phone? It's huge!!

Vodafone UK are releasing it in April. Would this mean Vodafone Ireland automatically are going to carry it also?
    http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/sony-ericsson-x10

Nah, doubt it. We always take our time releasing phones. Maybe in the Summer if your lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

It's on Play.com for 650ish and says due for release on 19th Feb

Sold my N97 to get some cash ready for this phone... Might be selling my iPhone next...

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Dammer wrote: »

That play.com site is very expensive!
    Check out the Irish site Fonezonline instead, though it doesn't stock the X10 yet

• Advertisement

Dammer wrote: »

Sold my N97 to get some cash ready for this phone... Might be selling my iPhone next...

it's now the end of march according to play and I doubt that will be the last revised date. I'd keep that iphone a bit longer if I was you

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Dammit. Now I'm obsessed with this phone. It looks like it could own the Nexus/Braco's ass

have to say the X10 mini pro looks like it could be quite decent for those looking for a small touchscreen phone, The X10 though could well be a bit too small to use without a proper keypad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Due on 3 mid March

Did 3 announce this anywhere? Any word are Vodafone going to carry this device? Expansys uk are saying April 22nd before they have it? The x10 mini pro looks awesome and its smaller than a credit card so sexy but thats not available until summer

O2 will definitely have it, they confirmed it over on their forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Any word on Three stocking this?

O2 releasing it on April 8th (Prices starting from free) see their blog
    http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/entry.php?48-Xperia-X10-Coming-April-8th

• Advertisement

Anyone know anything about the Xperia X10 Mini Pro coming to any network?

Advertisement