Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Date-rape drink spiking 'an urban legend'

Options
  • 27-10-2009 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/issues/daterape-drink-spiking-an-urban-legend-1925339.html
    By Stephen Adams

Tuesday October 27 2009

Widespread spiking of drinks with date-rape drugs such as Rohypnol and GHB is an "urban legend" fuelled by young women unwilling to accept they have simply consumed too much alcohol, academics believe.

A study of more than 200 students revealed many wrongly blamed the effects of a "bad night out" on date-rape drugs, when they had just drunk excessively.

Many are in "active denial" that drinking large amounts of alcohol can leave them "incoherent and incapacitated", the Kent University researchers concluded.

Young women's fears about date-rape drugs are so ingrained that students mistakenly think it is a more important factor in sexual assault than being drunk, taking drugs or walking alone at night.

The study, published in the British Journal of Criminology, found three-quarters of students identified drink spiking as an important risk – more than alcohol or drugs.

More than half said they knew someone whose drink had been spiked.

But despite popular beliefs, police have found no evidence that rape victims are commonly drugged with such substances, the researchers said.

Dr Adam Burgess from the university's School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research, said: "Young women appear to be displacing their anxieties about the consequences of consuming what is in the bottle on to rumours of what could be put there by someone else.

"The reason why fear of drink-spiking has become widespread seems to be a mix of it being more convenient to guard against than the effects of alcohol itself and the fact that such stories are exotic – like a more adult version of 'stranger danger'."

Rituals to protect drinks from contamination, such as taking drinks to the lavatory in clubs and bars and buying only bottled drinks, have become commonplace, the academics noted.

Among young people, drink spiking stories have attractive features that could "help explain" their disproportionate loss of control after drinking alcohol, the study found.

Dr Burgess said: "Our findings suggest guarding against drink spiking has also become a way for women to negotiate how to watch out for each other in an environment where they might well lose control from alcohol consumption."

Co-researcher Dr Sarah Moore said: "We would be very interested in finding out whether the urban myth of spiking is also the result of parents feeling unable to discuss with their adult daughters how to manage drinking and sex and representing their anxieties about this through discussion of drink spiking risks."

Nick Ross, chair of the Jill Dando Institute of Crime Science, commented: "There is no evidence of widespread use of hypnotics in sexual assault, let alone Rohypnol, despite many attempts to prove the contrary.

"During thousands of blood and alcohol tests lots of judgement-impairing compounds were discovered, but they were mostly street drugs or prescription pharmaceuticals taken by the victims themselves, and above all alcohol was the common theme.

"As Dr Burgess observes, it is not scientific evidence which keeps the drug rape myth alive but the fact that it serves so many useful functions."

Dr Burgess and his team questioned more than 200 students at universities in London and south east England.

Earlier this year, Australian researchers found that nont one of 97 young men and women admitted to hospital over 19 months to two Perth hospital claiming to have had their drinks spiked, had in fact been drugged.

- Stephen Adams

© Telegraph.co.uk

Contraversial to say the least.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Contraversial to say the least.

It is indeed, thank you for posting it here in AH.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Honestly I dont think so.. I know plenty of girls who i've been out with and they get absolutely f**ked off their faces and then the next day their facebook says "oh i must have been spiked last night" maybe once.. but every weekend I think not. And also most of these girls are going home with their boyfriends...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Honestly I dont think so.. I know plenty of girls who i've been out with and they get absolutely f**ked off their faces and then the next day their facebook says "oh i must have been spiked last night" maybe once.. but every weekend I think not. And also most of these girls are going home with their boyfriends...

Maybe their boyfriends are creeps...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

AHHHHH YOU FOOL YOU WILL KILL US ALL.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

TheZohan wrote: »
    It is indeed, thank you for posting it here in AH.

I'm not posting it in The Ladies Lounge - it would be like coating your nads in honey and then shagging an anthill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"It's just vitamins don't worry love"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Archeron

I genuinely think I got my drink spiked one night, me and the missus. And I'm a 6 foot 2, 250 pound bloke who had 1 drink, then lost record of everything for the rest of the night. There was literally one drink and no drugs involved from my point of view, and I can handle a lot of drink.

We both got robbed that night and lost phones, jackets, wallets and cash. I woke up at home missing a total of about 8 hours, she woke up on the floor at the entrance to the club surrounded by bouncers.

While I would agree that most of these cases reported are probably just people drinking too much, it still pays to be wary as I do still think it happens on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Contraversial, but not far off the truth. The state Irish birds get themselves into on nights out is worrying. The amount of nights I've had to physically carry my girlfriends (as in female friends, I only have one girlfirend) home is too many to count, let alone the amount of birds you see in pathetic states, sitting on the side of the road crying, getting sick, passed out. I have no respect for anyone who gets themslef into this sort of condidtion on a regular basis. And don't tell me it's not their fault, if you feel the need to have a bottle of wine and/or a naggin of vodka before you even go out, then swallow down every shot you can get from the bar as quick as possible, there is something seriously wrong with your conditions as to what defines a good night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

We were out one night in Kellys in Portrush, a girls in the group had one drink then began fall about the place acting like she had had 20 drinks. That is the one and only time i think someone i was out with had their drink spiked.

Dont know if its used by fellas as much anymore, but mates of mine were always saying, "i must have had a dodgy burger last night" to explain there puking after a club:rolleyes: of course it wasn't the 10 aftershocks you had.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I doubt it's an urban legend. I'm sure it happens.

Although I have seen some people with my own eyes drink a good few drinks quickly, then half an hour later they're warped, and the next day they swear their drinks were spiked :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

A study was done in ireland about 5/6 years ago and out of 600 reports of drink spiking (from "ladies" who went to hospital) there was not one single case of it.

they were all suffering from too much acohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Contraversial, but not far off the truth. The state Irish birds get themselves into on nights out is worrying. The amount of nights I've had to physically carry my girlfriends home is too many to count, let alone the amount of birds you see in pathetic states, sitting on the side of the road crying, getting sick, passed out. I have no respect for anyone who gets themslef into this sort of condidtion on a regular basis. And don't tell me it's not their fault, if you feel the need to have a bottle of wine and/or a naggin of vodka before you even go out, then swallow down every shot you can get from the bar as quick as possible, there is something seriously wrong with your conditions as to what defines a good night out.
    Rather unfortunate username considering the subject matter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

My Chemical Romance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Rather unfortunate username considering the subject matter...

tell me about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

schween wrote: »
    I doubt it's an urban legend. I'm sure it happens.

Although I have seen some people with my own eyes drink a good few drinks quickly, then half an hour later they're warped, and the next day they swear their drinks were spiked :rolleyes:

O it happens, just not as regularily as you might be led to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I imagine it is something that happens occasionally but for the most part its probably just people drinking too much and then claiming they were spiked. If I have ever had a night where i forgot what I was doing for half it was because I drank too much and nothing else. I know a couple of people who spiked by so called mates but they was never any intention to rape them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

It happens but the amount of times it is used as an excuse for excessive drinking lessens it's credibility. It's like the drug that cried wolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Alcohol is the most widely used date rape drug. A few vodkas in a pint is a lot more likely than some proper sedatives. Alcohol has denyability on it's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Happened my girlfriend, dropped her off at pub and got a frantic phonecall less than an hour later because she didnt know where she was, went and got her, and she was a mess, couldnt keep her eyes open, was rambling and kept falling asleep in the car, her friends rang me later asking where she went as she hadnt said anything to them just went off and rang me when she started to panic, I told them I picked her up and what happened and they said a guy was standing near their table asking them creepy questions before it happened, so it does happen but not as often as people think, one of her friends tried to convince us she was spiked one night at a house party we threw, she must have had about 15 shots of jagermeister throughout the night so it was just her being drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vasco

I was spiked before with ketamine. totally knocked the **** out of me. One of my mates told me later that he had done it for a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Vasco wrote: »
    I was spiked before with ketamine.

You may wanna double check this, because to get the dissociative effects of ketamine you need to ingest close to a gram, which is about 40-50 nicker.
    Thats an expensive spike (edit: expensive for a laugh)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I've spiked a few women in my time.. spiked them with my penis!

Totally consensual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

i remember hearing that there has never been one positive case of the typical date rape drugs been reported in ireland. its all just doubles and guys topping up their drinks when they dont realise (and the more drunk the girls are the less they notice) dunno how true that is though. i find it hard to believe people when they say it though. and if it is as widespread as people think it is then there should prob be more 'dont leave your drink lying around/accept drinks from strangers' awareness and stuff! the amount of girls that accept drinks from strangers is quite scary when you think about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I've read numerous articles over the past few years which say the same thing - there is no evidence people's drinks are being spiked. But of course, most people are emotional thinkers so will refuse to believe the evidence, no matter how black and white it is.

And of course, do you ever notice it's only alcoholic drinks which get spiked? Yep, no one who drinks soft drinks ever has a problem. Strange that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

krudler wrote: »
    Happened my girlfriend, dropped her off at pub and got a frantic phonecall less than an hour later because she didnt know where she was, went and got her, and she was a mess, couldnt keep her eyes open, was rambling and kept falling asleep in the car, her friends rang me later asking where she went as she hadnt said anything to them just went off and rang me when she started to panic, I told them I picked her up and what happened and they said a guy was standing near their table asking them creepy questions before it happened, so it does happen but not as often as people think, one of her friends tried to convince us she was spiked one night at a house party we threw, she must have had about 15 shots of jagermeister throughout the night so it was just her being drunk

I like how the fact that you didn't use a single full stop adds a sense of urgency to your post. You can feel the panic off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

I like how the fact that you didn't use a single full stop adds a sense of urgency to your post. You can feel the panic off it.

Completely wrong!!! It needs more exclamation marks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

soups05 wrote: »
    A study was done in ireland about 5/6 years ago and out of 600 reports of drink spiking (from "ladies" who went to hospital) there was not one single case of it.

they were all suffering from too much acohol.

Substantiate please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Jeez i dunno, i'm pretty sure someone fired an E tab into my bucket of after shock one night....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 !!

Completely wrong!!! It needs more exclamation marks!!!

I agree!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Archeron wrote: »
    I genuinely think I got my drink spiked one night, me and the missus. And I'm a 6 foot 2, 250 pound bloke who had 1 drink, then lost record of everything for the rest of the night. There was literally one drink and no drugs involved from my point of view, and I can handle a lot of drink.

We both got robbed that night and lost phones, jackets, wallets and cash. I woke up at home missing a total of about 8 hours, she woke up on the floor at the entrance to the club surrounded by bouncers.

While I would agree that most of these cases reported are probably just people drinking too much, it still pays to be wary as I do still think it happens on occasion.

I'm roughly the same size as you.
    I've had my drink spiked once too.
    House party and I lost about four hours.
    It's not a nice experience.

On the other hand, I have a friend who spent years blaming Chinese food, Drugs (shut up. You know I'm talking about illegal ones), food from the chipper and plenty of other things.
    He just wouldn't accept that he had drank too much.

I'm 33 now and I know not to drink vodka or cider because I get really messed up when I do drink them.
    I stick to beer 99.9999% or the time.
    I'm on my 6th now, I've bottles of whiskey and wine beside me and I'm not even tempted to touch them because I know I'll just be completely ****ed in the morning.

I'm not going to pretend that I know my limits on beer, but I'm certainly not going to blame anything else when I'm hungover in the morning.

Here are some videos that women need to watch:

Advertisement