Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Bicycle

Options
  • 30-10-2009 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Just heard on Morning Ireland that the gardai and Mayo County Council are launching "Operation Bicycle" this weekend. Gardai will be giving out high viz jackets to cyclists deemed not to be visible enough. Verbal warnings will be given to cyclists who do not have suitable/effective lights and reflectors.
    To be rolled out nationwide over the next few months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yay, it's Friday!

Does this mean I'll need to buy some plastic reflectors to complement my stadium lighting rig?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Given the number of ninja cyclists I've seen since the dark evenings arrived again, this can't be a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

... I wonder will they give out XL to every one again.

It's funny last night coming back from town quite late around 1am in Clonsilla, a Cab slowed down beside us to congratulate us of our great visibility. ' yis are very visible: fair play '.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Im still deciding what to write on the back of my high vis vest "traffic? lol" or "Hows my driving?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭TimAllen

Lumen wrote: »
    Yay, it's Friday!

Does this mean I'll need to buy some plastic reflectors to complement my stadium lighting rig?
    dunno, I'm sure the gardai will advise when you when you meet them during "Operation Bicycle". Being the sensible, mature, responsible road user that you are, I'm sure you are fully aware of your legal requirements and are fully compliant:D

• Advertisement

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Im still deciding what to write on the back of my high vis vest "traffic? lol" or "Hows my driving?"
    or option 3 : K.N.O.B. ???? Just a suggestion, dont shoot me for it:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

TimAllen wrote: »
    Being the sensible, mature, responsible road user that you are, I'm sure you are fully aware of your legal requirements and are fully compliant:D

Are you calling me old? Grrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Just heard on Morning Ireland that the gardai and Mayo County Council are launching "Operation Bicycle" this weekend. Gardai will be giving out high viz jackets to cyclists deemed not to be visible enough. Verbal warnings will be given to cyclists who do not have suitable/effective lights and reflectors.

Talk about a paradox.......

If the cyclists are not visible, how will they see them to stop them?

If they see them, then they must be visible, therefore there is no need to stop them.....

Also, little bit disappointed to see they're not giving out helmets as well....

Meow Tim. Its not like you to be petty and childish

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i just ordered
    94812.jpg
    and
    13421.jpg

in addition to
    42472.jpg
    A9260.jpg
    14826.jpg
    A0452.jpg

and a luminous rucksack cover, bet they'd still give me a vis vest, people who ride without lights make me sick, they should make them come to the garda station with working lights on the bike, garda handing out visvests makes people think thats all they need

• Advertisement

Meow Tim. Its not like you to be petty and childish
    You're right corker - its not petty or childish, its an acronym. There's a crunchie for whoever comes up with the best one!

Jawgap wrote: »
    Talk about a paradox.......

If the cyclists are not visible, how will they see them to stop them?

If they see them, then they must be visible, therefore there is no need to stop them.....

Also, little bit disappointed to see they're not giving out helmets as well....
    Hilarious...."I felt a bump under my wheels but saw nothing m'lord" "think he moaned 'bloody paradox' as he inspected the undercarriage of my vehicle":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

How about

Keep Nutcases Off Boards..

its not petty or childish

Your first post/thread on boards was about a cyclist crashing into the back of your car back in december. Ever since, the majority of your posts have been on the cycling forum taking swipes and digs at cyclist at any opportunity. The same applies in the motor forum.

Lets call a spade a spade Tim. Dont be under any illusion your anything other than petty and childish

Your first post/thread on boards was about a cyclist crashing into the back of your car back in december. Ever since, the majority of your posts have been on the cycling forum taking swipes and digs at cyclist at any opportunity. The same applies in the motor forum.

Lets call a spade a spade Tim. Dont be under any illusion your anything other than petty and childish
    If I was petty I'd say, its "you're" not "your" but its Friday Corker, lighten up, have a go at the competition, a crunchie might lift the mood:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

You're right corker - its not petty or childish, its an acronym. There's a crunchie for whoever comes up with the best one!

Knock
    Noone
    Off
    Bikes

Kill
    None
    On
    Bikes

god this is awful, this is better than a crunchie..... ITS FRIDAY:)

french_tart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This reminds me, I must slap a few of those reflective strips on to the trainer bike for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Just heard on Morning Ireland that the gardai and Mayo County Council are launching "Operation Bicycle"

Catchy name, wonder how they came up with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think I will be OK without the hi-vis (most of my stuff has reflective features mind)

night01.jpg

I recall Tim's last excursion into this board was to criticise me. I had advised that shining a front light directly at a motorist who looks like they are about to turn into you makes them aware of you and tends to stop them driving into you... IIRC he threated to anally penetrate me with my light if I ever did it to him.

Very mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Jez Blorg, the lights are great but hacking about with a white tile wall is a bit OTT....

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    I think I will be OK without the hi-vis (most of my stuff has reflective features mind)

night01.jpg

I recall Tim's last excursion into this board was to criticise me. I had advised that shining a front light directly at a motorist who looks like they are about to turn into you makes them aware of you and tends to stop them driving into you... IIRC he threated to anally penetrate me with my light if I ever did it to him.

Very mature.
    Fail. I never threatened you in the manner you refer to, you made that inference all on your own!
    I was engaging in debate on a topic for which you were not the OP, merely a distraction, advocating anti social behaviour - you need to re-read your own post, it was far more provocative than the sanitized version you are now peddling - Very Manure (typo intended):D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

At least I will know its you if this happens to me, and you will know its me when you have to retrieve said torch from "where the sun dont shine" :p
    According to Urban Dictionary this has two meanings, my bad. Clearly you meant you would steal my torch and immediately flee to Seattle.

As for the other previous anal references to sticking a U-Lock up Tom's, I am sure there is a similar rational explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

This is a good idea. Anything to make cyclists more visible is good.
    When walkers have them, why not cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

As for the other previous anal references to sticking a U-Lock up Tom's, I am sure there is a similar rational explanation.

He's an ass man?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Walkers? they don't wear them, much less people walking use hiz viz than people cycling.

I use Hi Viz arm bands and legs bands ( made out arm bands ) ... i am very visible, doesn't give super power to see joggers and walkers in the dark.

I would like to extend Walkers Hi Viz to Dogs ... dogs shoudl also wear Hi viz.

When we finally all wear Hi viz, we can start having deers in the Phoenix park wear Hi Viz too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

This is a good idea. Anything to make cyclists more visible is good.
    When walkers have them, why not cyclists.

cos their not euro ffs

and the gards handing them out makes people think thats all they need not lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

we can start having deers in the Phoenix park wear Hi Viz too.

I can't seem to find it now but wasn't there a suggestion a while back, from who I can't remember, to put hi-viz harness type things on the deer in the park ?

My main commuting jacket is not high-vis, it's blue but has flashings on it (so too does my rucksack) and I have two lights front and back, would I be one of those to get a verbal warning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Jip wrote: »
    I can't seem to find it now but wasn't there a suggestion a while back, from who I can't remember, to put hi-ziv harness type things on the deer in the park ?

It will make it easier for the poachers I suppose.

According to Urban Dictionary this has two meanings, my bad. Clearly you meant you would steal my torch and immediately flee to Seattle.

umm, yea Seattle ..... so that rules out anal reference - glad we sorted that. I am disturbed that you are getting excited at the erroneous expectation that you were going to get probed - its not going to happen, the smiley would have indicated to most people that I was not being serious - sorry to disappoint you!!! Anyways, I might get done for cruelty to your gerbils!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

people who ride without lights make me sick, they should make them come to the garda station with working lights on the bike
    I was speaking with a Superintendent in Store Street Garda Station a few years ago. I was complaining about their lack of action against law breakers (motorists and cyclists). He said that, instead of fining cyclists without lights, he and his Gardai force them to come into the station with working lights.
    I don't know how it all works but it sounded like a good idea.

Advertisement