Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please, I need a Christmas dinner idea.

Options
  • 12-11-2009 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Hi all, firstly Im not a vegetarian but my eldest daughter is. Shes grown up and moved away from home but she is coming home this Christmas so I want to do something special for her. Any ideas or recipes for a Christmas dinner for one would be very welcome. What are you cooking for yourself this Christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

We had a chat about christmas dinners last year, but it focused on fake meats. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055443861
    Sure, there are endless possibilities, but a nut roast is traditional and you'll find plenty of recipes online. Roast spuds (cooked separate from meat obv.) and all the vegetables, same as everyone else in the family would be nice.
    A lot of christmas puddings are available to buy in shops; some are vegetarian, some aren't, so keep that in mind. Suet is what is to be avoided, though some contain 'vegetarian suet'. Tesco and Marks and Spenser's are good with their labels for labelling it vegetarian. I guess Dunnes must be too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

We usually have a brazilnut and courgette bake, loads of potatoes (in all forms; mashed, roasted, croquettes!), lots of gravy and sage and onion stuffing not stuffed in anything :D

For dessert my mum makes mexican chocolate cake (vegan) or fruit salad.

If you want recipes for any of the above actually I can probably get them off her...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

My plan is to sift through a bunch of nut roast recipes in the run up to Christmas and find the ones I think are nicest and try them out in small portions before Christmas actually arrives! Whatever I like best I'm going to layer in a baking dish with some cranberry and chestnut stuffing sandwiched in the middle! So when I cut it, it will be a nut roast cake with stuffing inside it. I'm really looking forward to experimenting! Then again, I'm not TOO keen on too many nuts, so I've found this fake "chicken style" roast in holland and barratt that I might give a go and layer that with the stuffing instead. I'm not actually that big into meat replacements... I really don't get the whole "I'm a vegetarian but I still want to eat things that taste like dead animals" thing... so the things that REALLY make a Christmas dinner for me are the lovely roast parsnips & potatoes, the carrots and the sprouts, the sauce... and the BOOZE ;)

I'm sure your daughter will totally love whatever you do and will be thrilled that you've made such an effort for her! :)

oh... and remember to check that your nibbles are veggie as well, people tend to forget that some sweets and things might have gelatine in them. And be sure that you remember to not cook your veggies in goose fat or make the gravy from stock containing animal products! I went somewhere recently for dinner and was innocently fed cabbage that had been cooked in water from cooking the bacon - people just forget these small details!!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Muffin top

For a starter i'm thinking of making a butternut squash soup.
    For a main, I am also thinking of a nut roast for Christmas, M&S have a Brazil nut, date and cranberry roast, I am thinking of copying the recipe and adapting it for a vegan diet.
    For desset I think I'll make my own veggie jelly with fruit pieces, maybe some sorbet.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

For a starter, I'm thinking of doing mushroom volevents hmmmm

Thinking of having a quorn roast for dinner.
    Space in the oven can be a bit of a premium for xmas dinner so I might make this early in the morning or the night before and cut it into slices and wrap it in vegi bacon and pop back in the oven to heat it quickly before serving.
    Hoping to have roast potato and croquets and carrots and parsnips with it, of course some stuffing and hopefully I'll find some space to make some vegie gravy.

Not sure about dessert as everyone else has triffle (most jelly isn't veggie)

Might try some of the roast with bacon this weekend, if I do I'll post how it goes.

But the roast means I'll have something to pick at after the big day and I'll be making curries and sambo for days like everyone else :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭cherryred

My mum makes nut roast for me each year, its one of the best things about Christmas for me!
    I then have all the regular veg with veg gravy.
    When everyone is having turkey sandwiches the next day I have nutroast sandwiches.
    I enjoy it more then I every remember enjoying turkey, and as I have it only once a year it feels like a real treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Thanks for all the replys, some of the ideas sound really nice especially the nut roast.
    So Im thinking mushroom volevents for starters, nut roast for the main course with mustard roast potatoes, carrots, peas and parsnips. Does bisto go with nut roast? For desert Im thinking of apple pie and ice-cream. Is ice-cream suitable for vegetarians? It might sound like a silly question but I got her a cheesecake once and it had something in it that she couldnt eat so its better to ask now than find out on Christmas day!

Offy wrote: »
    It might sound like a silly question but I got her a cheesecake once and it had something in it that she couldnt eat so its better to ask now than find out on Christmas day!

Most ice cream is, buy one that has suitable for veggies on the label to be sure.

I like the sound of the rest of it too. :)

so I've found this fake "chicken style" roast in holland and barratt that I might give a go and layer that with the stuffing instead. I'm not actually that big into meat replacements... I really don't get the whole "I'm a vegetarian but I still want to eat things that taste like dead animals" thing...

I don't like the taste of meat either. Anything that is the texture of actual meat makes me gag.
    But most of these replacements bear little resemblance to the real thing.

Having said I got a Vegi Deli stuffed turkey roast thing last christmas.
    It was possibly the most disgusted thing I have ever eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I ran into a couple of American vegetarians last Christmas who had 'tofurkey' for their dinner. Nearly died laughing. Mind you mine wasn't much better - veggie burger and fries at Dennys - not much choice where we were, made up for by the fact that we spent Christmas morning hiking though Joshua Tree park.

No idea yet what this years dinner will be. Nut roasts are not a particular favorite of mine, so I've tried vegetable strudels, roulades etc. Generally anything that fits in with the remainder of the meaters non-meat sides - I'm another victim of the potatoes 25 ways, mashed, roasted, croquettes all on one plate. One thing I am a stickler for though is the Christmas Pudding, and come to think of it Mince Pies, both of which taste much better knowing that you've invested the time to make them yourself and that they're free from any animal products - although I'm still searching for a vegetarian stout for the pudding...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm having one of those meat replacement things. I didn't stop eating meat due to the taste or texture, I stopped due to the ethics of meat production and what the meat is as opposed to how it tastes. So I suppose it depends on your daughters reasons for being veggie, opinion is usually divided on the meat replacements though, so best stay clear in case she doesn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

Hey, i don't know if you live in Dublin.
    But if you do there's a Vegetarian restaurant on Wicklow street that does very high standard vegetarian meals for Xmas. You just pick it up beforehand and heat it up on the big day.
    There beautiful meals and minimum hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Although I do eat meat, I just don't buy it or cook it at home.
    Christmas meals from my past: Lentil Roast, complete with roast root veg and spuds of all varieties.
    Gourmet Veg pie, made from Artichoke hearts, asparagus, mushrooms, potatoes and double cream - really luxurious for a special occasion, and very easy to make.
    Trad Nut roast, make sure you've got a sauce or veg gravy of some kind. Nut roast can be pretty dry.
    Also went down a tomato/ratatouille/pasta road one christmas. Lovely grub, just not very Xmassy.
    I don't mean to offend anyone by recommending fish on this forum, but a decent fish dish can really make a special meal for non meat eaters.

Meemars, do you use canned artichoke hearts for this pie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Arsonist has been given a formal warning. Please ignore his post and enjoy reading the rest of the thread.

Moonbaby, I have used canned artichoke hearts which work best (also asparagus from a jar, but prefer them fresh). I'll look up the exact recipe later and post here. making me hungry.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Hey, great to read this thread, been at lost the last few days myself wondering what I'll do (only veggie in the house, always seem to end up making my own xmas dinner:( somehow always seems better when someone else cooks it for you....). Had stuffed aubergine last year, dead easy, just cook the aubergine in the oven for about half an hour, then scoop out the inside, stir fry it up with other veg and nuts and whatever seasonings you like to taste and pop it back in the skin with a bit of stuffing.....easy and delicious:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sounds gorgeous to me!

Meemars wrote: »
    Moonbaby, I have used canned artichoke hearts which work best (also asparagus from a jar, but prefer them fresh). I'll look up the exact recipe later and post here. making me hungry.....

Moonbaby, sorry for not posting earlier as promised. Here is the recipe for the gourmet veg. pie.

1 onion, chopped
    knob of butter
    12 oz diced potatoes
    4oz button mushrooms
    1lb asparagus, cut into 1in lenths
    15oz can artichoke hearts
    5fl oz double cream
    tbsp parsley
    salt, pepper, nutmeg
    Puff pastry (I use frozen sheets)

Fry off onion in the butter, 10 mins
    Add potatoes & mushrooms, and continue on the heat for 3-4 mins
    Add asparagus and artichoke hearts, along with double cream & parsley. Heat through thoroughly & seaon with salt, pepper and pinch gr nutmeg.
    Transfer to ovenproof pie dish and cover with puff pasty. glaze with beaten egg.
    bake at 200C for 25-30 mins
    Enjoy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Meemars wrote: »
    Moonbaby, sorry for not posting earlier as promised. Here is the recipe for the gourmet veg. pie.

Enjoy!

That sounds gorgeous... I'll have to try that soon! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JulietLima

google for video jug they have a few vegetarian mains that are easy to follow.

I think ill be going for the nutroast myself. Id like to order some of that tofurkey stuff from america but to much hasstle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 actingthegoat

Nision wrote: »
    Hey, i don't know if you live in Dublin.
    But if you do there's a Vegetarian restaurant on Wicklow street that does very high standard vegetarian meals for Xmas. You just pick it up beforehand and heat it up on the big day.
    There beautiful meals and minimum hassle.
    Hiya,
    this sounds ideal as im also looking for a veggie dish for Christamas-had a quick look online after seeing your post,is it Cornucopia you're talikg about? Any info greatly appreciated!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

+ 1 to the nut roast rec's - pair it with a nice red onion marmalade and your singing.

For xmas munchies this year we'll be having red onion tart with a yummy avacado, and cherry tomato salad. Homemade veggie soup with soda bread. Main will be Nut roast with yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, mashed carrots and parsnips and two types of peas....nice garden peas for everyone except my Granddad who has to have mushy peas [yuck!]

Dessert will be a whole box of chocolates scoffed while watching crappy xmas movies on tv :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

I must be the only one who cannot stand the sight of a nut roast never mind eating one.

Washout wrote: »
    I must be the only one who cannot stand the sight of a nut roast never mind eating one.

I've never had one. I'm having mini xmas dinner with my mates in the run up this year. I think I'll try one out then, won't be as important if I dont like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Mushroom wellington is a nice veggie dish, you could stuff the mushrooms with herbs, stuffing or some cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Nut roast nut roast nut roast!
    Why do we even need this thread? Nut roast's de classic christmas veggie dinner hands down.
    It's tradittion fer f*cks sake whichis what christmas is all about! Go way with all yer fancy shenanigans and respect the old school styleez.
    It's like a meat eater going feck christmas is coming up what'll I cook?

Hi all,
    Incase anyone else's having gravy trouble this Christmas.
    Bisto do onion gravy in microwavable pouches that's suitible for veggies :D
    Saves me from the animal gravy the rest of the family will be having ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mary-Ellen wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Incase anyone else's having gravy trouble this Christmas.
    Bisto do onion gravy in microwavable pouches that's suitible for veggies :D
    Saves me from the animal gravy the rest of the family will be having ;)

I love:

Bisto_Gravy_Granules.jpg

• Advertisement

I use normal bisto usually too.
    But there's never enough hobs or pans on xmas day.
    So it'll be microwave gravy for me :D

Advertisement