Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science

Options
  • 20-11-2009 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Which is really the best university for earth science(or science in general)UCD or TCD??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭CJTobin

<Insert biased remark because you posted in a forum populated by students entirely from one college>

Hope that helps! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

CJTobin wrote: »
    Hope that helps! ;)

Yes now I know 1st choice on my CAO

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

UCD library is better! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You do know if you post in each forum, you're probably going to get biased answers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Did you ask your career guidance councilor? There's **** all difference tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Did you ask your career guidance councilor? There's **** all difference tbh.

Er......not really.

There's A LOT more choice in UCD (Not comp sci in general science at all in TCD), not saying this is a good thing, but it's a fairly huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Im of the opinion that the ucd science degree is far superior, my bro did his degree in geology there. they had many field trips with the trinity geology students and he always said that from talking ti them he was clear that at the same stage in their eduucation the ucd guys had a much better understanding of the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

brownacid wrote: »
    Im of the opinion that the ucd science degree is far superior, my bro did his degree in geology there. they had many field trips with the trinity geology students and he always said that from talking ti them he was clear that at the same stage in their eduucation the ucd guys had a much better understanding of the subject.

So you're saying the Geology degree is superior, do you have any experience with other faculties.

Trinity students seem to have more labs than UCD's do (I only have a lab every second week in Chem and Bio, while afaik, TCD students have one every week-open to correction though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Fad wrote: »
    So you're saying the Geology degree is superior, do you have any experience with other faculties.

Trinity students seem to have more labs than UCD's do (I only have a lab every second week in Chem and Bio, while afaik, TCD students have one every week-open to correction though)

You're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

he was clear that at the same stage in their eduucation the ucd guys had a much better understanding of the subject.

Of course he would say that though in fairness. He was never going to say Oh my god we're way behind the Trinity students! It was a biased opinion.

Go to the open days, talk with your school councillor and don't ask for advice on websites where you're going to get biased answers.

Ultimately, decide for yourself. If you dont lke the choice you make you can always change its not the end of the world. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I did microbiology in Trinners and I know a few people who did it in other colleges to supposedly the same standard yet, without trying to be arrogant, I'm light years ahead of them in my knowledge. Of course, they're just individuals, micro isn't geology, and I'm totally biased toward TCD because I went there and loved it!

The only piece of impartial advice I can give you was what my guidance councillor told me when I was filling out my CAO in '05: UCD is more geared toward industry, TCD toward natural science. Whether that's a fair way to put it, I don't know, and I'm sure quite a few people would disagree so you'll have to have a look for yourself.

Advertisement