Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda not to issue penalty points or fixed charges on Tuesday

Options
  • 20-11-2009 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

According to BreakingNews.ie...

"It has emerged gardaí will not be issuing penalty points on fixed charged notices to drivers during next Tuesday's day of action".

Full article here http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-not-to-issue-penalty-points-on-day-of-action-435145.html

So if you want to drive at 150km/ph with no seatbelt on, no tax, NCT or Insurance discs on display, the kids in the front seat & your mobile in one hand, now's your chance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭GSF

According to BreakingNews.ie...

"It has emerged gardaí will not be issuing penalty points on fixed charged notices to drivers during next Tuesday's day of action".

Full article here http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-not-to-issue-penalty-points-on-day-of-action-435145.html

So if you want to drive at 150km/ph with no seatbelt on, no tax, NCT or Insurance discs on display, the kids in the front seat & your mobile in one hand, now's your chance!
    This has to be a joke. Will they be turning a blind eye to other crimes on Tuesday as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

GSF wrote: »
    This has to be a joke. Will they be turning a blind eye to other crimes on Tuesday as well?

You mean business as usual? ;) Don't think it's a joke - I heard a similar report on the news on Today FM this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

this kind of scares me, is this like mutiny or something?? So the gardai themselves now decide the law? How can they be respected? shame on them, they are now sinking lower than the clowns who brought us into this

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Will they lose one of their many allowances for not issuing points, etc. on Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Surely this is, um, illegal? I mean, they are prohibited for striking for a very good reason, we do need traffic Gardaí etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Shocking to be honest. I just dont know who there expecting to get any sympathy from, the private sector has been butchered. I hope the government dont back down, or the country will be pretty much even more screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

Vroom Vroom......ANARCHY!!!!!! :D

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

its a trap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,938 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That needs clarification: They wont issue points or Tickets/fines - They can still pull you over and take you in for arrestable offences, correct? eg. Failure to stop for a blue light, drunk driving, etc.

Otherwise its an odd way of saying "We wont be working tuesday" when instead theyve clearly targeted traffic penalties. It leads me to assume you will still be arrested for the serious offences - Reckless driving; 25mph++ (or whatever Metric) over the limit; Drunk Driving, etc etc. and will still respond to assaults and robberies and all the usual.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If they want to strike, they just have to call in another Blue Flue day, surely?

I think people caught comitting egregious safety violations may still find themselves on the receiving end of certain consequences, regardless of the public 'knowledge' on the issue.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Boy racers round my area will be rubbing their grubby little hands at this news....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

it a work to rule action.

I dont know exactly what that means in the context but......all I heard that was clarified was that they wont issue you with penalty points or with a fixed charge fine.

HOWEVER

this action is a statement to the government not a "we're actually gonna do nothin see how you get on" day

If I was a cop, and this was the situation, you have to work, but just not carry out the fancy duties.........so basically they will know damn well pple are gonna try take the piss out of this day and manipulate it.

Drive at 70mph through a town you'll be arrested for something I assure you. Dangerous driving, reckless driving, with consideration etc etc

id say more pple will be done that day for other stuff.

look at the macro guys, cops are humans too, and by their very nature have a controlling personalities, just the way it is , wouldnt be a great day to guild the lilly as they say

:)

I am not a garda !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Fkn ridiculous country. Should be written into the constitution that these supposed "guardians of the people" cannot go on strike. If a guard goes on strike he should be immediately fired.

These guys have had it too easy for far too long. They got benchmarking, overtime, expenses etc etc and my accountant tells me that he doesnt know one of them that doesnt have a second job. A lot of them became property flip floppers. They'll do you for doing 135kmph on an empty motorway, but wont do anything about the boy racers flying round the dangerous country roads. Hope the government cuts the b*ll*x out of their wages in the budget.

What will happen on Tuesday.... ? The boy racers will be flying up the road, there will possibly be a tiger kidnapping, shops will be robbed by armed criminals ... i.e. the same thing that goes on every other day..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

'my accountant tells me that he doesnt know one of them that doesnt have a second job.'

i found this rather funny, if you can find the time for us to have a second job please point it out.

Between being in at 6am or finishing at 6am , it's sometimes hard to even find time to sleep and time for your family never mind a second job :rolleyes:

alot of people had a boom time and made alot of extra money in the last 10 years give or take and were able to purchase oversea's property's , second home's ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

guys, will ye relax

why do people just rant

1. all they speculated towards was

"issuing notices to motorists for speeding, failure to wear a seatbelt , driving while holding a mobile phone, or dangerous overtaking"

because it is discretionary to do this , legally, for the Gardai.

Gardai have a legal obligation to fulfill all of their dutues otherwise, and bottom line they can also give u a fine and points on the day too

if I was a cop and saw a woman bombing alone with 2 kids with no seatbelts and on the phone shed be getting the book !

sometimes u guys just dont listen ( sometimes I dont either)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Technopool its not even worth replying to his comment.
    Hes making huge unsupported claims that es have had it handy all along, all have second jobs and are huge property owners, and then goes on to say he hopes es get the boll*x cut out of them during the budget,

And if you bothered to read the article properly it states that the gra have advised members about the issuing, they have not told them to actually do it.

And another point, AGS are not law enforcers like in most countires, a lot of incidents members use their discretion, in other countrys you get caught sppeding etc, your getting the ticket no matter what. In ireland you may get off with a warning, so thats one thing to be grateful of.
    Well anyway thats my last time posting over here... back to ES forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

yes i know that but sometimes it just good to vent against such dribble.

last post and last read of these forums.

TechnoPool wrote: »
    yes i know that but sometimes it just good to vent against such dribble.

last post and last read of these forums.
    /waves
    What will happen on Tuesday.... ? The boy racers will be flying up the road, there will possibly be a tiger kidnapping, shops will be robbed by armed criminals ... i.e. the same thing that goes on every other day..
    You havent been reading the thread then or you just came in here to make a misinformed bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

So can you drive down the bus lane all day?

That would be pretty cool (if nobody else did it)

• Advertisement

On a more serious note: the misunderstanding is going to lead a lot of dumbasses to assume they can get away with murder.

If you dont need to be on the road that day - stay well the **** off.

Lads, I haven't seen the bullitan from the GRA but from what I can understand from the media reports on this is that members will not be issuing tickets or FCPS notices as they are know known.

You will still be stopped and spoken to, more than likely have your details taken and just be issued with a warning. Obviously if you do something dangerous then this will be investigated because a file has to be prepared for sections 51a, 52 & 53 of the Road Traffic Act.

This actions will be carried out by the excercising our powers of descretion so therefore it is not illegal. (I imagine).

Finally, the GRA have said that members would continue dealing with all other crime matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

TechnoPool wrote: »
    Between being in at 6am or finishing at 6am , it's sometimes hard to even find time to sleep and time for your family never mind a second job

Can you clarify this for me. Do you work MORE than 40 hours a week, outside of overtime?
    Well anyway thats my last time posting over here... back to ES forum.

You wouldnt be the first garda to walk the other direction when there's an argument.

I would put this question to ALL the public servants who are going on strike. If you are not happy with your job, the pay and the conditions...... why dont you leave and get a job somewhere else (i.e. in the private sector)???

foreign wrote: »
    This actions will be carried out by the excercising our powers of descretion so therefore it is not illegal. (I imagine).

It however is morally questionable given that the Gardaí are precluded from any form of strike action by law and this violates the spirit of this, if not the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

Can you clarify this for me. Do you work MORE than 40 hours a week, outside of overtime?
    No, but when you work a shift pattern that is quite simply all over the place, it can mess dramatically with your family / social life. For instance, one shift may end on Thursday at 10pm, and then you're back in on Friday at 6am. That leaves you with a max of 6 hours sleep. Thats not healthy and more than likely will leave you fatigued by the end of your shift.

Now, going back on topic...
    nesf wrote: »
    It however is morally questionable given that the Gardaí are precluded from any form of strike action by law and this violates the spirit of this, if not the letter.

On all FCPS Gardaí have the power of discretion, which will be more than likely be exercised on Tuesday. Just because they may let you off with a warning for speeding doesn't mean it's going to become a free-for-all for all criminals to carry out any crime they wish. I can assure you that if you need the gardai on Tuesday, they will show up.

Yes. It's a work to rule, but it's not a strike. We've been told not to volunteer for overtime, use any of our own equipment (Mobiles, Laptops, USB Sticks etc.) We haven't been told not to show up if you call us.
    We will continue dealing with everything else as usual

If you ring 999 on Tuesday, and request the gardaí, they will show up. This power of discretion has been exercised for years. It will not be 'the be all and end all' of frontline policing on Tuesday.

ste88m wrote: »
    On all FCPS Gardaí have the power of discretion, which will be more than likely be exercised on Tuesday. Just because they may let you off with a warning for speeding doesn't mean it's going to become a free-for-all for all criminals to carry out any crime they wish. I can assure you that if you need the gardai on Tuesday, they will show up.

Yes. It's a work to rule, but it's not a strike. We've been told not to volunteer for overtime, use any of our own equipment (Mobiles, Laptops, USB Sticks etc.) We haven't been told not to show up if you call us.
    We will continue dealing with everything else as usual

If you ring 999 on Tuesday, and request the gardaí, they will show up. This power of discretion has been exercised for years. It will not be 'the be all and end all' of frontline policing on Tuesday.

And I wasn't suggesting that it'd be a free-for-all for criminals or anything idiotic like that.

It's not that there will be a dereliction of duty, though one could argue that deliberately not punishing an identical offense with the same punishment on two different days is questionable, it's that you're prohibited from strike action for a damn good reason, similar to the army. Yes, you're angry and yes you have a right for your voices to be heard but the spirit of the law is being violated in that you're going to apply the law differently on two days as a means of protest to get around the fact that you can't join others in an official work stoppage.

Yes it's not going to affect major criminal cases, or even the more serious traffic offenses but it's basically sticking the middle finger up at the idea that Gardaí because of the nature of their jobs are prohibited from striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

So if you want to drive at 150km/ph with no seatbelt on, ........

Dont worry you will probably end up seeing me, ( if you live that long) I wont be striking either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

nesf wrote: »
    but the spirit of the law is being violated .

With all due respect the spirit of the law is violated every day in the courts of this land by the legal profession finding and taking advantage of loopholes for the benifet of their clients. They are paid tp represent their clients so are in fact doing their job. As has been said already Gardai have discretion within the spirit of the law and applying these offences

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I believe that means that the clerical staff within Stations all over the country will be on stirke that day so on that day alone there will be no fixed penalty notices done in the office to go out to people because the staff will not be in to process them. Not that the gardai aren't going to give a cr@p!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I wonder if there'll be a spike in road traffic collisions that day and an increase in mortalities if speeding is such a killer that we're all lead to believe.

I hope the head of the GRA will have a clear conscience if there is.

Advertisement