Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flood warning - Updated 02.12.2009 0400 hrs

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Shannon is at a higher level than I've ever seen it. Strand Hotel people must be worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I also live on O'Callaghan Strand,carpark is well underground down a steep slope.To say Im worried is an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

jackncoke wrote: »
    I also live on O'Callaghan Strand,carpark is well underground down a steep slope.To say Im worried is an understatement.

I'd be getting your car out of there if I were you...

Its not there yet,im workin til 8.Im deciding where to park it for the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

i was just in around town there to check on a few things and was down the clancy strand side...the river is high all right but ive seen it higher so looks like the volume of water isnt down yet!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭source

That car park shouldn't be a problem, the water would have to get the whole way up stone house terrace before it could get into the car park. I would be worried about getting it onto O'Callaghan's Strand in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

are we due more rain there havin lightning in cork at the moment !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Passed over by annacotty, the river looks very high up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I live in the strand as well. My car is in the underground carpark and I'm not worried.

Aidric wrote: »
    I live in the strand as well. My car is in the underground carpark and I'm not worried.

I dont live in the strand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

im surprised that corbally hasnt been flooded yet, my gran used to live out there and her whole back garden would flood. there supposed to have put in a higher waterproofed wall down by the treaty stone and that board walk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

We should hopefully be ok in Westbury

anyone got any update of flooded areas???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Plassey pedestrian bridge has been closed as a precaution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Down O' Callaghans strand earlier no sign of any flooding, to me it looks unlikely that it would burst its banks there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The river under the Corbally bridge is very high this evening. Think its the highest ive seen it since i moved here last November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Down O' Callaghans strand earlier no sign of any flooding, to me it looks unlikely that it would burst its banks there

I dont think the banks busting were ever going to be the problem, more likely the water level at high tide would rise above the banks and restraining gates along both strands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

CRAIG07 wrote: »
    are we due more rain

I think we all know the answer to that!!:D

phog wrote: »
    I dont think the banks busting were ever going to be the problem, more likely the water level at high tide would rise above the banks and restraining gates along both strands.

as far as i can find high tide is due at 8:56pm tonight.....ill be in around town at sevenish so will pop down the strand for a lookise :D

im going to cork tomorrow not looking forward to that at all...the infastructure damage down there is massive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

High tide will be about 10:30 according to here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm going for a walk into town shortly as well, might be down by the strand at some stage too. Just have to get my camera ready...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Trouble wrote: »
    High tide will be about 10:30 according to here

Check here for tide times:
    http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0718&PredictionLength=7

A small bit of flooding on the strand today actually

anyone know if the esb have released water yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

The Clare County Manager was just on the radio there, don't think the ESB have released water yet. But they will have to, it will be done on a bit by bit basis, rather than all at once.

Anyone know if they have a channell in place to notift the public of water release??

ive spent the morning chasing floods around ireland!!! we have cabins under water in several locations

Clare Fm is your best bet, they're giving it good coverage. Clare CoCo's website is also posting updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What is the state of The Swamp Bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/16847792/?view=Standard

Energy chiefs warn of further floods
    on 23/11/2009 13:01:13

Energy chiefs today warned of further possible damaging floods along the Shannon after the swollen river reached record levels.

As Taoiseach Brian Cowen visits the worst affected regions, the ESB said parts of counties Clare and Limerick faced further damage.

"Exceptional flooding along the River Shannon - the highest on record - requires ESB to increase the amount of water that must be released at Parteen Weir," the ESB said.

"The discharge levels have been growing in recent days but the release of higher volumes of water downstream will become unavoidable later today.

"Localised downstream areas can expect higher flood levels as a result."

The Parteen Weir controls the flow of water into Ardnacrusha power station further downstream.

Councils in Clare, Limerick and North Tipperary and local emergency services warned areas from Parteen downstream to Limerick city faced further floods later today.

Mr Cowen, in Cork before visiting Clare and Galway, said the focus of work should be on helping those affected by floods.

The Taoiseach refused to be drawn on calls for an inquiry into the floods.

The Irish Farmers' Association has been fiercely critical of the Government since swathes of land, towns and cities were left under several feet of water last week.

IFA president Padraig Walshe hit out at flood prevention schemes, calling for a return to the old practice of regularly clearing rivers and streams.

"Spending millions of euro on flood defences will only protect the town where they are built, and will push the problem downstream to other towns and rural areas," Mr Walshe said.

The IFA leader also repeated his call for an emergency package to assist those worst affected by the flooding crisis.

Meanwhile, Coast Guard director Chris Reynolds urged the public to take extra care in flooded and coastal areas.

"The public is strongly advised not to go out on exposed coasts, cliffs, piers, harbour walls, beaches, promenades or any other coastal areas," he said.

"Do not attempt to cross at fast running river or flood water fords as they may be stronger and deeper than you think.

"Flooded urban areas may contain many hazards, not least of which include submerged open manholes and downed power lines.

"The combination of tides, forecasted gales warnings for later this week, high sea conditions and swollen rivers may result in very dangerous conditions."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

YFlyer wrote: »
    What is the state of The Swamp Bar?

The swamp bar?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

AA roadwatch are reporting that ESB will be releasing water from Ardnacrusha at 4 PM this afternoon (you'd think there would be more widespread reporting of this and some more definitive place people could go online to get info!)

Zoney wrote: »
    AA roadwatch are reporting that ESB will be releasing water from Ardnacrusha at 4 PM this afternoon (you'd think there would be more widespread reporting of this and some more definitive place people could go online to get info!)

http://www.lcc.ie/Water_Services/Floods/231109_Lower_River_Shannon_Flooding_Update.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Zoney wrote: »

There she goes!

Some people are going to get it. I fear for Westbury and Shannon Banks and the low lying houses in Parteen. UL's Clare campus might also be vulnerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

topper75 wrote: »
    UL's Clare campus might also be vulnerable.

Most of the riverbank walk is now under water, bar about 200m near the old sports building, fishermans cottages being hit. Water very high and fast flowing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I work in an office on the Steamboat Quay, I phoned the corpo to ask them if they had any plans to give out sandbags for the Steamboat area, or if they think this area will be effected after the ESB release the water, and the answer was that they dont think Steamboat Quay will be effected, the effected area will be the Corbally area....but I had to call them to find htis out, no info avaialble on their website...this site (Limerick section of Boards.ie is proving yet again to be a great source of info on whats happening on the ground (or in the water!) in Limerick!

• Advertisement

The level of water behind Westbury doesn't seem to have gone up since the 4 o clock release, although it is pretty high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 douzer77

I live down the Mill Rd. When I rang the city council was told that there wasn't a flood alert for the Mill Rd, although Clare Council have issued a warning and as far as I can see our houses are lower than the Shannon Banks houses.
    Limerick city council won't be handing out any sand bags (although they have they in stock) until later.
    Sitting waiting for the river to come in the front door :eek:

douzer77 wrote: »
    I live down the Mill Rd. When I rang the city council was told that there wasn't a flood alert for the Mill Rd, although Clare Council have issued a warning and as far as I can see our houses are lower than the Shannon Banks houses.
    Limerick city council won't be handing out any sand bags (although they have they in stock) until later.
    Sitting waiting for the river to come in the front door :eek:

Mill Road is my concern too. Being lower down doesn't matter really. If that was the case, only Foynes need be worried. What matters is vulnerable banks. The Mill Rd. at least has some height in the river bank. Shannon Banks houses - not so much. Westbury had problems years back but I think some sort of defence was built.

The level of water behind Westbury doesn't seem to have gone up since the 4 o clock release, although it is pretty high.

It was only opened above O'Brien's bridge then. It'll take some time to pour down and build. Please God they'll have calculated all this right and damage will be minimised. They've had time to see it coming, unlike Cork.

Sandbags being given out at the gaa club in wesbury this evening....not cofirmed by myself just what i heard

• Advertisement

Could be a worrying night for a lot of people who live near the river. Could take a few hours for the full body of water to move down river, so will be dark at that stage and will make it harder to spot major changes in the water for some.

Hope it has been properly planned, and that it goes without causing serious damage.

Sandbags being given out at the gaa club in wesbury this evening....not cofirmed by myself just what i heard

The GAA field is right behind me, they're down there now shovelling sand into bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The swamp bar?????

Radcliffs these days. Cowey's Bar used to have the nick name The Swamp

Just checked the tide times and 21:53 is the high tide time for Limerick city. So at least when they released the water at 16:00, the water levels in the tidal areas, which goes as far as just below the Corbally baths, would be about as low as they were going to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

Passed over by annacotty, the river looks very high up!

Get out of there, its going to burst tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Is Rhebogue area safe enough or.....???I live just behind the Richmond Rugby field....could the Plassey bank there flood do ya think?

Is Rhebogue area safe enough or.....???I live just behind the Richmond Rugby field....could the Plassey bank there flood do ya think?

id say your ok...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Called into the Clare offices at the Westbury Centre to be told that "ahhh, Westbury will be grand". When it was pointed out that there was a flood warning in place we were directed to teh pump house in Shannon Banks for sandbags. Nothing there. Were then directed to Parteen (nothing there) and have just been to the GAA pitch in Westbury. They have sand but have run out of bags with more expected at 6 apparently. The water in the fields behind Clonard is very high. It would need to go up another 2 - 3 feet to get into gardens but still feeling a touch nervous...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The ESB are not going to release water during the night, only during daylight hours.

ESB to confine weir water discharges to daylight hours
    The ESB has confirmed it will not release further water at the Parteen Weir this evening.

I do wonder if they know what they are doing, surely it would be better to release water on a continuous basis rather than in surges? The water is just going to build up again tonight, requiring surge releases tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement