Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are we not flooded?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Considering the usual grim weather we have here. Fermanagh's under water, Galway is drowning and Leitrim is struggling. The North West of England is almost washed away, so why has it missed Sligo - I would have thought we would have been the first target?

Are we going to get it in the neck when everywhere else has cleared up? :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Is it bad in Fermanagh? I was going to go to Enniskillen on Friday. There's a motor dealer in Carraroe that didn't escape the flood - back yard under a foot of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Work on Saturday got a fair bit of the weather, foyer was under a good 2 inches and aisles had to be closed off because it was coming in so heavily through the roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Don't jinx it ... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I was thinking of going to Enniskillen tomorrow as I'm off college due to the strike. I might just reconsider it now if it's that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I was thinking of going to Enniskillen tomorrow as I'm off college due to the strike. I might just reconsider it now if it's that bad.

If you're going to ASDA bring an umbrella, it rained so hard last week the roof started to leak in three places!

It's pretty wet down here in Royston Vasey (aka Geevagh), roads like waterfalls etc., and I think Tesco in Carrick is an island at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Work on Saturday got a fair bit of the weather, foyer was under a good 2 inches and aisles had to be closed off because it was coming in so heavily through the roof.
    Hah, we had customers coming in asking if we sell umbrellas so they could go back to Homebase!

TMB - while we may not be as bad as other spots I can tell you it's hit and miss if our little petrol engine will make it through the south Sligo floods every morning and evening. *needs diesal jeep*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I heard yesterday that Blacklion was badly flooded, and that the Erneside shopping centre was affected.

There was a road to Ballymote that was flooded, I haven't heard any more then that about Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

BBC says this morning
    "The Rivers Agency is currently pumping and sandbagging in and around the Erneside shopping centre in order to keep that facility open.

"We're dealing with the water at this moment in time but if there was a dramatic rise we would have to change our approach as it would become beyond our ability to pump."

OceanFM has failed totally to give details of the floods in Leitrim (very bad) or Sligo (not so bad); isn't this supposed to one of local radio's strength's - reporting on local problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

That's one thing I miss about North West radio. Whenever there was a bad storm they kept you right up to date on what was happening.

Here are some pics I saw on flickr of Leitrim:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/debbie_little/4125289393/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

genie wrote: »
    and I think Tesco in Carrick is an island at the moment.

I think tesco is alright but between tesco round-about and the next round-about is flooded, around the landmark is pretty bad and i think the hotel (crions?) beside the landmark is either flooded or very near it. Carrick is always bad when it comes to floods and they'l never learn as they just keep building on floodplains. :confused:

The moy is very high around the first bridge coming into ballina (sligo side),I was out there friday evening and had never seen it so high. As is ballisodare river, and up around markree castle/stables all the fields are flooded around the river like iv never seen them before, to think i used to ride in that river during the summer, if I done that now it'd be up past my head!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

We are not flooded because of our landscape (amazing or what) travel through Co. Galway and a large part of it is very flat, almost like Holland.
    Hence the flooding problems. Sligo's landscape is quite varied - rolling hills, steep mountains but very little flat areas. What land is flat, is usually in immediate proximity to local rivers so it's not developed and is a natural flood plain.Other counties like Galway have had property flooded which is hundreds of meters from a natural water source. So we can count ourselves lucky here in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Maybe it's payback for having crap weather all the time. :D

/not making light of people/areas who are experiencing serious flooding of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

the shannon and its flood plain is the reason like carrick are suffering

Essexboy wrote: »
    BBC says this morning
    "The Rivers Agency is currently pumping and sandbagging in and around the Erneside shopping centre in order to keep that facility open.

"We're dealing with the water at this moment in time but if there was a dramatic rise we would have to change our approach as it would become beyond our ability to pump."

OceanFM has failed totally to give details of the floods in Leitrim (very bad) or Sligo (not so bad); isn't this supposed to one of local radio's strength's - reporting on local problems?

i agree with you in a situation like this the local coverage is very poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Is it bad in Fermanagh? I was going to go to Enniskillen on Friday. There's a motor dealer in Carraroe that didn't escape the flood - back yard under a foot of water.

What did they expect - dig a hole and it will fill with water. Must take a spin from my garage as far as them.

Saying that our pits started to fill with water the other day! Like mini swimming pools, 5ft deep and 30ft long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 marmi

tescos not too bad.. YET!! its just the bit between the two roundabouts thats closed so far

I was hoping to get my child from Sligo to Cork via Clare this weekend.

Anyone got a loan of a helicopter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

magnumlady wrote: »
    the Erneside shopping centre was affected.

Was there last friday and road to ASDA/ernside undergrnd carpark was flooded near the first roundabout, be careful driving past it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I was hoping to get my child from Sligo to Cork via Clare this weekend.

Anyone got a loan of a helicopter?

I was planning on driving to Cork on Friday night. Have you heard any reports about the roads yet? Is Claregalway still flooded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

high horse wrote: »
    I was planning on driving to Cork on Friday night. Have you heard any reports about the roads yet? Is Claregalway still flooded?

Galway County Council says
    "N17 – Galway to Tuam – Now passable and open to two way traffic at Claregalway. Motorists are advised to proceed with caution."

http://www.galway.ie/en/media/Flooding%20Advisory%20Notice.pdf

is updated regularly.

Essexboy wrote: »
    Galway County Council says
    "N17 – Galway to Tuam – Now passable and open to two way traffic at Claregalway. Motorists are advised to proceed with caution."

http://www.galway.ie/en/media/Flooding%20Advisory%20Notice.pdf

is updated regularly.

Thanks Essexboy, I wouldn't be driving, her Dad would come up to collect her from Clare, but it's not worth the risk, and the forecast isn't improving. Clare CoCo have issued a severe flood warning again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Considering the usual grim weather we have here. Fermanagh's under water, Galway is drowning and Leitrim is struggling. The North West of England is almost washed away, so why has it missed Sligo - I would have thought we would have been the first target?

Are we going to get it in the neck when everywhere else has cleared up? :/

Remember the ould school map on the class room wall.... we have the advantage... water runs down the wall... our rain runs into galway.... guess fermanaghs rain gets stuck at the border.... can't think of what happens to donegals rain.... guess the boys in finner camp have us sandbagged!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement