Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

law and business ucd v trinity

Options
  • 24-11-2009 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

i didn't know where exactly to post this so forgive me if i did wrong.

so i really want to do law and business, because i don't just want a pure law degree.
    I intend to work hopefully in the future in an international institution/company so I think this is a very good basic degree.
    My question is whether you would advise to do b&l in ucd or in trinity?
    The course in trinity is only new so this is a way could be a downfall?
    and my brother is in his final year in ucds course and he loves it.
    for law courses or in particular this course which do you think is better?
    i have friends that skipped ty and are in ucd and they say its meh, just too big...
    but then for someone like me who will have to rent accommodation, is ucd handier?
    any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

For what it's worth, the business school in UCD is much better respected. No clue what the law school is like, though, and if you're looking at doing something law-related afterwards (which it sounds like from your 'didn't just want a law degree' comment) then that's the one you need to worry about. Also, the newness of the Trinity course will definitely lead to problems - your year would be still in the "working out the kinks" phase. Stuff like lecturers not knowing what your full course-load is like, and not being able to set work appropriately. That said, Trinity has plenty of other stuff to recommend to it - search for any "should I come to Trinity?" thread on the forum for more on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

TCD > yucky Catholics.

/thread.

Sorry I can't be helpful, I know nothing about neither law nor business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭gnl

I'm in first year law and know a few peeps doing law and business. They all seem to like the course, bar for those who chose to do maths instead of a language - they seem to have complaints about the maths module.

You'd do about 70% of the modules straight law first years do, plus business modules (I'd say Law and Business has a good 5 or 6 extra hours to straight law a week). There are also only about 50 people in the class as far as I know.

Trinity law is epic. The hours are epic. The faculty is epic. Trinity itself,epic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Stop saying epic ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Stop saying epic ffs.

But then how do we know if he is being sincere or not!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

phlegms wrote: »
    But then how do we know if he is being sincere or not!?
    Epic post:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Though I would caution whether entering law is such a great idea right now (though by the time you graduate hopefully things will be on the upswing in legal circles again).

Truth is right now qualified trainees are being laid off as soon as the qualify and established solicitors are going out of business with the drop off in commercial property.

I'm one of the lucky few with a job lined up for me after I graduate - but out of 10 friends who graduated this year - 6 are emigrating elsewhere to look for work (most aren't coming back). So have a careful think about whether this is the right career for you :) (not that I should assume you haven't).

Oh, and as a final year student - currently I have a 5 day weekend and 4 hours of lectures...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

yeah ive no problem in emigrating, in fact like i thought i mentioned it in first post, guess i forgot to, yeah i want to like work internationally haha screw ireland

In which case, it may be better for you to emigrate first to your country of choice and study at university there. You build up your local network etc that would suit your career prospects better.

Plus, as an immigrant who has decided to stick with my adopted country through thick and thin, it'd be less of a drain on our "free" education system if people who didn't intend to stay and contribute in this country leave in the first place. Apologies if I misconstrued your "screw Ireland", I still believe that this country is worth staying in - in fact the law firms are somewhat surprised by that - asking me "why don't you want to go to New York or London?".

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, I guess I epically failed to consider job prospects in my post. I'm epically sorry. Its not one of my main considerations, I don't want to practice in Ireland - for me it's New York or somewhere rather epic like that. I think given the turbulence of the job market across the board at the moment that it would be something of an epic assumption to speculate on what it will be like in 6 years or more. Epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

gnl wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I guess I epically failed to consider job prospects in my post. I'm epically sorry. Its not one of my main considerations, I don't want to practice in Ireland - for me it's New York or somewhere rather epic like that. I think given the turbulence of the job market across the board at the moment that it would be something of an epic assumption to speculate on what it will be like in 6 years or more. Epic.

Joke or no joke, vomit smiley FTW.

FTW.
    ffs.

Actual words > internet abbreviations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 vinylqueen

i'm in jf trinity law and business at the moment. we're the first year so there were some initial issues with timetables etc but for the most part people are enjoying it. we do 2 out of 3 of the major law modules this semester (torts & irish legal system) and 2 business modules (intro to economic policy & organisational management) with the BESS students. we also have to take either maths & statistics or a language course specifically aimed at business vocab etc (between 2-4 classes a week). add in seminars/tutorials in all those courses plus mandatory legal skills seminars and we're in mon-fri for about 16-18 hours most weeks. there's a lot of reading required but that was inevitable with law anyway! it's a small class - we started out with 27 (it was meant to be 25 but they over-offered places) - which is good cause everyone's pretty friendly and tend to help each other out as we're all in the same boat. my only criticism would be you could feel a bit lost as we're essentially straddling two huge courses (and two huge gangs of students) for first year and there's not many seminars which would be exclusively law & business so you have to make an effort to integrate yourself somewhat. i did my first degree in UCD and the business school there is also very well regarded but for what it's worth i think the atmosphere, people and level of teaching are much more enjoyable in trinity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

gnl wrote: »
    Actual words > internet abbreviations.

Actual words are greater than and yet not equal to symbols.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tippgal93

Hi I in secondary school and atm considering careers. Iv had law and business in my head for a while now as I like both and recently got the oppertunity to go to the courts for a day which was great.

Just wondering if you could tell me the good and bad points about the course and if ye'r happy ye went for it!

All replies welcome:confused:

I'm a final year law student - do you have questions you want to ask about law or just BnL?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Tippgal93 wrote: »
    Hi I in secondary school and atm considering careers. Iv had law and business in my head for a while now as I like both and recently got the oppertunity to go to the courts for a day which was great.

Just wondering if you could tell me the good and bad points about the course and if ye'r happy ye went for it!

All replies welcome:confused:
    Hi

I've merged your thread with a recent thread on the same subject. You might find more information from the posters in this thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tippgal93

Yeah Iv been thinking about Law on its own aswell.

What are the good and bad points about the course?

Some people Iv been talkin to have said its boring? Is this the case. Would you reccommend the course?

Do you hope to go on and pursue a career in Law as in train to be a barrister or lawyer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 esporanza

how about south africa? hear theres plenty work there!

• Advertisement

Tippgal93 wrote: »
    Yeah Iv been thinking about Law on its own aswell.

What are the good and bad points about the course?

Some people Iv been talkin to have said its boring? Is this the case. Would you reccommend the course?

Do you hope to go on and pursue a career in Law as in train to be a barrister or lawyer?

Good:
    Hours - last semester I had a 5 day weekend (4 hours of lectures on Monday and Tuesday in total). It means that you have the choice to do your work at your own pace and enjoy the various activities college has to offer.

Exchange program - I went to Emory Uni in the States, studying there usually costs 40,000 dollars a year but it was "free" for us exchange students.

Meeting highly intelligent and interesting people (not everyone is a money grubbing evil lawyer stereotype - in fact most seem to be the human rights, champion of freedom type ;) )

Interesting subject matter - depending on what you are interested in, law is an interesting subject to study in terms of finding out how our society functions within this chaotic mess of conflicts between humans. Rights vs. responsibilities as it were.You might learn how government squeezes tax out of all of us, or the moral implications of ending a foetus' life after 6 months. The first case we looked at dealt with the issue of "when is it okay to kill and eat a human being?" (spoiler: when you've drawn lots)

"Good" degree - a law degree does not entitle you to practise law (as I'm sure you're aware), but it does reflect that you should have gained lots of analytical and research skills useful in other careers (traditionally financial but with the current troubles things are changing).

Bad:

Self-control needed! - just because you have 4 hours of lectures, doesn't mean you can spend your free time boozing away (though some people seem to be able to manage it somehow). Normal people will still need to be in the library reading up on materials.

Oversupply of lawyers - have a look at the legal discussion forum, you'll find that law firms are cutting back massively on their intake of trainees, and letting many go once they qualify as solicitors. The FE-1 exams dropped from 800+ to around 400 this year as people found that they can't find jobs in law anymore. As the solicitor in a firm I interned in told me though - the cream always rises to the top so if you know you want to be a lawyer and work hard, there's no reason an oversupply should worry you too much.

Can't think of many more negatives - but that's probably because I like law. Others may tell you it's dreadfully boring - learning about firing shotguns to disturb silver fox breeding on a farm...

As for myself personally - I was lucky enough to be offered a job already and will be pursuing a career as a solicitor in a firm in Ireland after I graduate. Many of my friends have emigrated though (either for a Masters or to look for work abroad). That's another "good" point I suppose - your law degree will (with the right course choices) allow you to train as an English barrister/solicitor and work there (where big bucks are still to be made if you're in it for the money).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

What points were required for law and business last year, it doesn't seem to say anywhere?

It's a new course introduced this year (along with Law and Politics).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

I do Law and Political science, it was 555 points this year along with law and business, both of them have around 25 places! I'd recommend these types of degrees if you don't want to do just law, I find the law subjects kind of boring at times :rolleyes: and the political science part is a nice change! We do sociology, economics and political science for our political science modules along with the irish legal system, torts and contract law with the law people!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lollipops13

Hi.
    I am in 6th year at the moment and am still not 100 percent decided on what I want to do but I think I would like law. Perhaps law with business.
    Did you like it? Would you recommend it? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fran109

I just finished law and business at TCD, was in the first year of the course. I would DEFINITELY recommend the course: most of the class have jobs in law, accounting, finance etc lined up so it was very well received in employment terms given that the 2013 class is the first graduating class. Lots of variety in terms of subject choice in the last 2 years with the opportunity to focus on law or business courses exclusively once you've more of an idea of what avenue you want to pursue. I had a blast: great lecturers, a friendly, intimate class, challenging but dynamic courses to choose from and a host of interested employers! I would certainly recommend it if you're not too sure what you want to do.

Advertisement