Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why have all threads relating to anti-social behaviour been merged?

• 01-12-2009 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

There were a couple of separate threads each relating to separate incidents in the Dublin 15 area, why have they all been merged into one melting pot of a thread, I'm from a specific part of Dublin 15, not the whole of Dublin 15, if I witness something I think may be of interest to others in my neighbourhood I'd like to be able to post a thread about it, likewise I stick my head into the D15 forum the odd time to see if there is anything of interest.
    I have no intention of trawling through the who's who of local gangland crime to see if my neighbourhood gets a mention.

Can we please revert back to the old way of specifying an area/incident/event etc. in the thread title so the people directly affected know that there is information in a specific thread which may be useful to them.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I felt it would be easier to keep all of the related threads under the one umbrella, making it easier to find them.
    I would argue that since we are all residents in D15, what happens in one street/area is of direct relevance to residents of nearby streets/areas. Criminals are not loyal to any one area, if they rob a car on your street today, it could be mine tomorrow.

Heading to the last page of the thread shouldnt take much longer than searching through a large number of related threads to find your own neighbourhood's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

By that rational why don't we merge the whole of Dublin into the same thread.

Whilst some generally useful information would benefit people specifically from the whole of Dublin 15 only, and not from any other parts of Dublin, the crime stuff for example if a car gets robbed in Hartstown, people from Lucan are as at risk as people from Castleknock of the same fella taking their car.

Would it be fair then that any generic stuff like lock you doors, set your alarm, garda phone numbers etc be added into the Neighbourhood watch thread, but estate specific, eg. noisy neighbours, anti-social behaviour etc gets a specific thread on it's own as it relates specifically to the residents of a particular estate or area, and wont just by merged into the larger one?

It's not like the D15 thread is a Beehive of activity. As I mentioned in my other post I would rather not have to trawl through a thread of shootings and stabbings in hartstown (for example, as it was a separate thread which got absorbed into the noisy neighbours thread I was interested in), looking for any reports of a domestic disturbance the area I live in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'll have a think about that one Victor_M. In the meantime I'll keep the thread as it is, give a chance to see how it goes, and if it does get too messy a new arrangement can be broguht about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Gaspode, I really believe you should have a poll on this.

Within reason, the forum should reflect the needs and requirements of the members. That is why I support this forum.

I dont really think a poll is needed at this point. As I say, lets give the merged thread a chance first.

• Advertisement

So Gaspode, is it your way or the highway?

No, I've clearly not ruled out having multiple threads, I asked though that the merged thread be given a chance. A poll is pointless until then.

I for one haven't bothered to trawl through the new merged post as I consider it a waste of time. The individual topic are much better in my opinion.

Gaspode the forum is more than just one person, please remember us meer members. A bit of consultation goes a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think a heap of threads bitching about different area's look bad tbh.
    I think the watch thread is a good idea but that threads should on be merged into it after 2/3 days after they are started.

I do think that starting a confrontation with a mod who gives up thier time to help run the forum for all our sakes is frankly pointless and rude. Two posters have complained so it's not like the place is in an uproar over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I think the watch thread is a good idea but that threads should on be merged into it after 2/3 days after they are started.

I do think that starting a confrontation with a mod who gives up thier time to help run the forum for all our sakes is frankly pointless and rude. Two posters have complained so it's not like the place is in an uproar over it.

As a compromise I think Thaedydal's suggestion of leaving a thread have it's own thread for a few days is a good idea, I see that the thread on break-ins in Windmill has been merged already, yet the con artists handing out air fresheners at Clonsilla train station is still open, now as a local resident, I know which thread I'd prefer to be made aware of upon visiting this forum (just in case my sarcasm is being wasted, it's not the air freshener one!)

[HTML]
    I think a heap of threads bitching about different area's look bad tbh.[/HTML]

Why would a bunch of threads regarding reality in certain area's look bad, or more importantly, who are you concerned that they will look bad to? If it's happening and someone feels strongly enough to start a thread about it, why would you think it looks bad?

After thinking about this for a few days, I feel that if any thread that may be useful to people who live in a specific area specifically regarding crimes gets rolled into one, it will lose any of the impact that individual threads may have had.

break-ins, cars being robbed that sort of stuff tends to happen in waves,as in thieves will target one place for a few days at a time so if an area is being targeted then people who live in those specific area's will benefit most from being informed instantly, not after they have trawled through 3 pages of some else's problems. So getting back to my original post, I feel that unless there is some other agenda, this forum will not benefit from rolling loads of specific problem into one generic thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I agree with everything you say Victor.

Except for what you said about my air freshener thread sob sob sniffle sniffle. Believe me I found it quite emotional to be confronted with a scam at 8am in the morning ;)

Anyhoo I think it would be a good compromise to leave a new "incident" thread open for a few days and then merge it in with the other thread. I would imagine most D15 people tend to check in every day or so and would hopefully see the initial thread before it is merged.

Hmmm, great to see a bit of reasonable discussion going on here, but who would have thought it would just take a bit of mundane and routine forum house-keeping to spark it off. :)
    Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I for one haven't bothered to trawl through the new merged post as I consider it a waste of time. The individual topic are much better in my opinion.

Gaspode the forum is more than just one person, please remember us meer members. A bit of consultation goes a long way.

Lets bring a bit of perspective to it, until yesterdays entry, there were 39 posts on that thread, that's less than one page. 'Trawling' is a bit of an over statement dont you think? I can understand if there was a new pageful of posts every day, but based on previous history, its unlikely that's going to happen.

Thaedydal, your suggestion of leaving the threads open for a few days is worthwhile and the posters below seenm to agree, so I will take you up on it. New threads started on this subject will be left sit for a few days.
    I'd still prefer if people used the new thread for this subject, just as Rocco did yesterday, but I wont lose any sleep if they dont.
    Victor_M wrote: »
    As a compromise I think Thaedydal's suggestion of leaving a thread have it's own thread for a few days is a good idea, I see that the thread on break-ins in Windmill has been merged already, yet the con artists handing out air fresheners at Clonsilla train station is still open, now as a local resident, I know which thread I'd prefer to be made aware of upon visiting this forum (just in case my sarcasm is being wasted, it's not the air freshener one!)

Why would a bunch of threads regarding reality in certain area's look bad, or more importantly, who are you concerned that they will look bad to? If it's happening and someone feels strongly enough to start a thread about it, why would you think it looks bad?

After thinking about this for a few days, I feel that if any thread that may be useful to people who live in a specific area specifically regarding crimes gets rolled into one, it will lose any of the impact that individual threads may have had.

break-ins, cars being robbed that sort of stuff tends to happen in waves,as in thieves will target one place for a few days at a time so if an area is being targeted then people who live in those specific area's will benefit most from being informed instantly, not after they have trawled through 3 pages of some else's problems. So getting back to my original post, I feel that unless there is some other agenda, this forum will not benefit from rolling loads of specific problem into one generic thread.

Victor, you are in agreement too with Thaedydals proposal, so lets go with that.

There is no agenda, what I did is a bog standard activity done in any forum on boards. There are not 3 pages of threads - it moved into its second page today with post 41.

amdublin wrote: »
    I agree with everything you say Victor.

Except for what you said about my air freshener thread sob sob sniffle sniffle. Believe me I found it quite emotional to be confronted with a scam at 8am in the morning ;)

Anyhoo I think it would be a good compromise to leave a new "incident" thread open for a few days and then merge it in with the other thread. I would imagine most D15 people tend to check in every day or so and would hopefully see the initial thread before it is merged.

Ok thanks for that.
    The thread about the beggar at coolmine is not really a neighbourhood watch 'incident', so I hadnt even considered moving it. These people tend to just beg and if you dont give them anything they go away and are rarely trouble.

This particular thread has run it's course now I think. A compromise has been reached, lets run with that for a month and see how it goes.
    If Victor or Pat still have a problem in a month's time, pm me and we'll work it out.
    Many thanks,
    Gaspode

I have come across very little if any "bitching about different areas" on this forum. However what I am aware of is members with a genuine interest in their areas passing on information relating to their experiences.

I am also happy that a compromise has been reached on this topic.

I would be happy to volunteer my time as a Mod, so as to lighten the load of the current Mods and I am sure others who contribute regularly to this forum would be of a similar mind.

Advertisement