Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church elder sex abuser McConaghy 'too fat for jail'

Options
  • 03-12-2009 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭

In a surprising move, a member of the church wont be going to prison because he's really fat:
    A 66-year-old church elder convicted of indecently assaulting a child will not be sent to jail because his obesity means his health is "precarious".
    John William McConaghy, from Urbal Road, Dervock, County Antrim, was found guilty of indecent assault.
    Judge David Smyth at Antrim Crown Court suspended a two-and-a-half year term.
    He said McConaghy's lack of mobility, ulcerated legs and need for frequent dressings amounted to "wholly exceptional circumstances".
    The jail term was suspended for three years and a £10,000 fine was also imposed.
    During a 10-day trial in October McConaghy's victim, who is now 44, said she was indecently assaulted from the age of around 10 until she was 18.
    'Not happy'
    She said that she was assaulted so often it became "the norm".
    She said McConaghey's abuse "petered out" as she reached adulthood and struck back at him, scratching his face as she fought him off.
    Speaking after the sentencing the woman said was "not happy" he was freed, but nevertheless understood the reason why.
    "I am happy with the sentence he got, I think that was a fair sentence, but I am not happy with the suspension of it, but I understand the reason for it on medical grounds."
    She added that she was glad she had pursued the case against him, "because everybody now knows, church elder or not, what he is".
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8393463.stm

What do you think? Is his self-inflicted girth punishment enough, or should he thrown to the bottom infiltrating dogs in the big house? I'm not sure myself, I'd sure wouldn't like to be the one having to change his pus-soaked bandages every day as a prison officer. Surely they'd have better things to do looking after the really dangerous criminals inside than that? Could be wrong though, discuss.

Mod warning: Keep it civil folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I'm not really sure where I stand on this one, but don't prisons have medical facilities and hospital wards for a reason? Putting his own health in danger is no reason to escape imprisonment....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Mod warning: Keep it civil folks

Darn, and I was going to comment how more fat, meant more ass to be shared when the soap hits the ground.

But now I shan't. Besides really and seriously.... if he's that fat that he needs dressings and such, would he actually be able to fit through a cell door, or lay on a Prison bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

He committed a disgusting crime,he should be sent to jail.Fullstop.
    You could make other prisoners clean his dressings as punishment for any of their in-house transgressions.
    Win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

His mountain of flesh is his prison. What a grotesque animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Does this happen to 'normal' criminals? Are muggers, rapists, bank robbers and thieves not involved in the clergy, spared from jail because of their health?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Tie the fat cnut to a threadmill for 10 years to make him pay for what he did.

Lord knows fat people don't like threadmills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Does this happen to 'normal' criminals? Are muggers, rapists, bank robbers and thieves not involved in the clergy, spared from jail because of their health?

Yes,it does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

They should let him rot in prison and not change his bandages.

Fuck him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

He abused a kid. He didn't show the kid sympathy because they were a kid. Why should anyone show this evil prick sympathy because he's a porker?
    Lock him up. Buy him some dettol. Throw away the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

1) go to Belfast docks
    2) buy one of the very large ropes used to tie up container ships
    3) hang the bastard
    4) save the NHS and the prison service the cost of looking after the fat b'stard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

What a fcuking joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

kill him then. simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,339 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Had he refused to pay his bin charges or some other crime against the state I wonder would he receive the same leniency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

hang him...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

CamperMan wrote: »
    hang him...

Cutbacks mean the noose will have a too low weight restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Excuse whilst I pop out to buy a few dozen doughnuts for breakfast.

Within a year, I'll be so overweight that I can quite literally get away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

This is only going to make overly fat folk even happier/fatter. Shocking decision. No incentive to lose the flab either. "Hey, if you lose 4 stone in 4 months, we can send you to jail!"

Fatty: "Erm, ok. Nyom nyom."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Too much Holy head bread, me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

go wine some more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

CutzEr wrote: »
    go wine some more

:/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Ever see that film se7en? See how the obese chap was dispatched?

That.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

In a surprising move, a member of the church wont be going to prison because he's really fat:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8393463.stm

What do you think? Is his self-inflicted girth punishment enough, or should he thrown to the bottom infiltrating dogs in the big house? I'm not sure myself, I'd sure wouldn't like to be the one having to change his pus-soaked bandages every day as a prison officer. Surely they'd have better things to do looking after the really dangerous criminals inside than that? Could be wrong though, discuss.

Mod warning: Keep it civil folks.

We need to make sure this can never happen. Death penalty to all fat priests :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

So make the fat prick exercise and lose the weight - then lock him away. If he dies in the meantime, so be it. God will keep him safe anyway, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

/makes mental note of aggresively gaining weight before / after commiting crime.

If the fat fùck loves his food so much feed him nothing but bricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Get him a one-way ticket to Peru

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8369674.stm

(Although it turns out this was faked :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Scum. He should not be allowed get away with that. Surely they could come to some sort of arrangement where he's still locked up but gets medical treatment? It's depressing that he's just gets to carry on with his life.On the other hand though I suppose the victim is happy that he was exposed for what he really is and maybe that's enough.

Advertisement