Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steorn revolution begins with "Get Real. Get Orbo"

• 12-12-2009 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

A promo by Steorn for their Orbo technology. Apparently they are going to demo their technology sometime during the week commencing 14th December 2009:

They've rented out the old Waterways Building in Dublin and are currently projecting ads onto an old factory next door. Apparently they will be streaming a "live" demo of their magic-beans-powered device. They are currently setting up a lot of lights, equipment etc in and around the building.

Link to pics of building : http://i.imgur.com/x2EFd.jpg , http://imgur.com/EBLQM

As homer would say

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 npc_100

zod wrote: »
    They are currently setting up a lot of lights, equipment etc in and around the building.

Well they do need something to blame if it doesn't work......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

npc_100 wrote: »
    Well they do need something to blame if when it doesn't work......

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

Haven’t been following what these guys have been up to but did they ever announce the results from there authentication period? Surely if they have half a dozen independent scientists saying this is good then they won’t need to self promo that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Azelfafage

You cannot defeat the Second Law of Thermodynamics unless you re-write all the textbooks of physics.

Richard Tolman pointed that out as long ago as 1934 in his classic book "Cosmology".

For instance:

Those who say that the universe can "bounce" forever do no understand the Second Law.

Even a bouncing universe.....(Big Bang..Big Crunch etc.)

The bounces MUST run down, by all the laws of physics,as known at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Steorn sets up for second bite at perpetual cherry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

live now !!! http://www.steorn.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

daragh8008 wrote: »
    Haven’t been following what these guys have been up to but did they ever announce the results from there authentication period? Surely if they have half a dozen independent scientists saying this is good then they won’t need to self promo that much.

The Jury announced independently theat the device was not confirmed:
    http://gizmodo.com/5301033/independent-jury-rules-on-steorns-free-energy-machine-guilty-of-not-working

The live stream is up now, as well as a diagram of the rig.

http://www.steorn.com/demo/rig/

I don't understand why the need a battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

The free energy money they are after is the plebs who are going to fork out 400 odd for a licence to build their own battery powered spinning thingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is this going to be another embarrassing moment for Ireland in 2009?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Just a guess, for probably cause their free energy device is a whole load of bollocks.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Just a guess, for probably cause their free energy device is a whole load of bollocks.

Good guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Manhog

Firstly I'm no physicist and I know little of thermodynamics.

What I will say however is that the science community in Ireland owes it to themselves to either a) completely debunk this technology or b) verify it and roll in behind it.

What you have here is a company which is generating a substantial amount of PR and coverage internationally. That coverage must be influencing a common understanding of Ireland's scientific output and standards.

Surely there is a peer review protocol to be followed here?

In any event the jury dismissed Steorn's claims earlier this year, so why has Steorn not accepted that?

http://gizmodo.com/5301033/independent-jury-rules-on-steorns-free-energy-machine-guilty-of-not-working

Manhog wrote: »
    In any event the jury dismissed Steorn's claims earlier this year, so why has Steorn not accepted that?

Cause they're off their rockers and think they can still convince enough people that it works to earn/scam some money out of the whole thing.

As far as I can tell, from one of the Video's, the battery is used as an energy reserve with the device constantly charging it. Possibly due to the system not providing a fluid enough current though thats just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

what are steorn getting out this?

how do they earn their money?

what is the purpose of their demo - is this machine supposed to run continuously over the few week period ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

If they are producing power, why are they not then, using the power to run somthing at the demo? Wouldnt be long showing how long this "magic" energy would last. (before the battery dies) :D

scargill wrote: »
    what are steorn getting out this?

how do they earn their money?

They will make their money from license fees on any product built with orbo tech in it.
    scargill wrote: »
    what is the purpose of their demo - is this machine supposed to run continuously over the few week period ?

I presume so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

If they were even powering an LED id be abit more impressed. But its just a spinning disc :confused:

They sell low-friction bearings and highly accurate (as in measure magnetism) magnets. I've been told (and it has often been reported) it is just a PR stunt to get there name out there. Considering they announced this technology in 2006, I surprised they are still with us today with the same claim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

There are people around the world with deep pockets and not much understanding of science. Lets say you're a billionaire, why not throw €500,000 to these guys, just in case, take a punt on it being real. If Steorn can keep it plausible enough to entice a handful of people to take a punt on investing, then they'll keep it going for a while yet.

djk1000 wrote: »
    There are people around the world with deep pockets and not much understanding of science. Lets say you're a billionaire, why not throw €500,000 to these guys, just in case, take a punt on it being real. If Steorn can keep it plausible enough to entice a handful of people to take a punt on investing, then they'll keep it going for a while yet.

Good point. But they are not looking for investors, as far as I know they are supposed to have plenty of € in the bank. If it was a scam they would have leggered ages ago with that €.

chem wrote: »
    If they were even powering an LED id be abit more impressed. But its just a spinning disc :confused:

no the battery is spinning the motor and the motor is charging the battery and the battery is spinning the motor and the motor is charging the battery....:confused:

from steorn website:

How Orbo Technology Works
    Orbo is based upon time variant magnetic interactions, i.e. magnetic interactions whose efficiency varies as a function of transaction timeframes.
    It is this variation of energy exchanged as a function of transaction time frame that lies at the heart of Orbo technology, and its ability to contravene the principle of the conservation of energy. Why? Conservation of energy requires that the total energy exchanged using interactions are invariant in time. This principle of time invariance is enshrined in Noether’s Theorem.
    The time variant nature of Orbo interactions can be engineered using two basic techniques. The first technique utilizes a method of controlling the response time of magnetic materials to make them time variant. This is achieved by controlling the MH position of materials during permanent magnetic interactions.
    The second technique decouples the Counter Electromotive Force (CEMF) from torque for electromagnetic interactions. This decoupling of CEMF allows time variant magnetic interactions in electromagnetic systems.

sounds great! I'll have a box of decouped CEMFs please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭swampgas

Manhog wrote: »
    Firstly I'm no physicist and I know little of thermodynamics.

What I will say however is that the science community in Ireland owes it to themselves to either a) completely debunk this technology or b) verify it and roll in behind it.

<snip>

"Extraordinary Claims Demand Extraordinary Proof."

Well, I'm an engineer and know quite a bit about physics, motors, electronics and thermodynamics.

To anyone with a scientific background (well - a physics or engineering background anyway) what Steorn are claiming is that the accepted laws of physics are wrong, and not just in a minor "tiny tweak to correct it" way.

It's a bit like claiming to have invented an anti-gravity device or a time machine. If true, the implications would be far more significant than the prospect of free energy. Any scientist who had actually managed what Steorn are claiming would be rushing to publish the details and claim the Nobel prize.

The scientific community of Ireland should waste very little time attempting to debunk or prove their claims. This is clearly a very elaborate hoax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Everybody is very quick to jump on the band wagon and say its all rubbish. What if it isn't? Is this the true nature of the Irish to instantly begrudge our own?

How would you go about this if it is true? How would you convince the world? Peer review is out the window as nobody would touch the claim with a barge pole? As far as I know nobody has tried to bring free energy in a open fashion?

Anyway its day one right? This is on public display just a few miles away from alot of people, go have a look and report back? Be skeptical, take pictures, if its a hoax you should be able to prove that fairly quick? Right?

And is our understanding of science today the end? Is there no more we can discover? Seems to me people in scientific community are very closed? Then whats CERN all about? Are they just proving what we already know?

I myself will be going to look at the display in the New Year, dont fancy Dublin on the run up to xmas.

Exciting times, Good luck Steorn, hope its true.

PS the Jury didn't even build a device, so how coud they say it cant work? Strange eh?

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Is this the true nature of the Irish to instantly begrudge our own?

I assure it, this has absolutely nothing to do with them being Irish.
    As far as I know nobody has tried to bring free energy in a open fashion?

In an open fashion? Nobody has managed to bring it because all the laws of physics as we know them say that it is impossible. Plenty of people have tried - its probably one of the most commonly investigated areas by laymen.
    And is our understanding of science today the end? Is there no more we can discover? Seems to me people in scientific community are very closed? Then whats CERN all about? Are they just proving what we already know?

Obviously our understanding at the moment is not the end. In fact, its demonstrably not complete. But this flies in the face of basically everything we know about science already. Its up to Steorn to give a concrete, convincing reason to take them seriously, which they have massively failed to do.
    Anyway its day one right? This is on public display just a few miles away from alot of people, go have a look and report back?

Its a motor powered by a battery. It could be running a month from now and it still wouldn't mean anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

I assure it, this has absolutely nothing to do with them being Irish.
    It still is probable
    In an open fashion? Nobody has managed to bring it because all the laws of physics as we know them say that it is impossible. Plenty of people have tried - its probably one of the most commonly investigated areas by laymen.

Yes in a open fashion, would you ecxpect them to give up their IP just to say theres proof were right, oh wait we lose everything we've invested in? Not a good business move. They are after all running a business.
    Obviously our understanding at the moment is not the end. In fact, its demonstrably not complete. But this flies in the face of basically everything we know about science already. Its up to Steorn to give a concrete, convincing reason to take them seriously, which they have massively failed to do.

they have put their prototype on public display, thats a huge step forward in the free energy game. How many have done that before?

Its a motor powered by a battery. It could be running a month from now and it still wouldn't mean anything.

And what will you say if its still running, one month, two months, three months from now? At the same speed? What then, obviously a prolonged hoax?

If its using energy from a store then it will deminish and slow over time, if not then its being replinished, then we have a good problem!

I am very curious about this, because for one side or another its an end game! Wouldn't you say. And the clock is ticking!

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Yes in a open fashion, would you ecxpect them to give up their IP just to say theres proof were right, oh wait we lose everything we've invested in? Not a good business move. They are after all running a business.

There are such things as patents you know. They're never going to be taken seriously on this when they continue to be so vague and mysterious about it. The burden of proof is on them, not the scientific community - we have mountains of data backing up the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
    And what will you say if its still running, one month, two months, three months from now? At the same speed? What then, obviously a prolonged hoax?

Not obviously a hoax, but more than likely. I imagine it'll stop at some point and they'll blame the lights again or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Why do people bother even discussing this... ignore them, and they will eventually go away.

Advertisement