Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Charity Training Session- This Saturday 19th

Options
  • 15-12-2009 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Since the charity thread here turned out to be just hot air, we've decided to take the bull by the horns and organise a charity event for this coming Saturday at our gym. It will be open to all and sundry so I hope some of you boardsies can make it and contribute.

Here's our plan:
    10.30am- arrive, chat, have a coffee and put whatever you can afford into the bucket
    11am- We break into teams and do the workout which we'll set.
    12.30pm or so- We lie down/collapse and have more coffee and another chat.
    Venue- Informed Performance Gym, Unit 5 Tolka Industrial park, Glasnevin.

Anyone can attend NO MATTER WHAT THEIR LEVEL OF FITNESS IS. The way we structure team workouts is that everyone contributes to the team score what they can. In fact, we'd prefer to see people who would consider themselves unfit jumping in and having a go rather than just people at a high level of fitness.

At 1pm we're doing one of the talks we'll be having at our gym each month and for December it's on nutrition, so everyone who attends is welcome to stay on for free. It will take about an hour if you fancy that too.

We had a chat earlier and decided we'd do this for the Simon Community in Dublin, given the current economic climate, a lot more people will find themselves in need of their help this year. So come along, we'll have some fun and it'll be for a good cause. For my part, I have decided to do the entire workout in a Santa suit. Not just any Santa suit, a hairy polyester one.

Let me know if you're interested.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

fair play roper, i might pop down to this, but 10:30 on a saturday, thats rough man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

super idea man and hope it goes really well -working saturday so cant go sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dan@IPG

bigstar wrote: »
    fair play roper, i might pop down to this, but 10:30 on a saturday, thats rough man.

lame enough
    Transform wrote: »
    super idea man and hope it goes really well -working saturday so cant go sorry

fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Hmmm not much reaction to this. There were two topics of 4 pages each on this a while back where people had lots of ideas and said they'd be keen to do it. Well, now we are doing it and I think it's time people put their money where their keyboards are and ante up. This time of year is tight I know but I think there's no better time of year to remember those less fortunate.

You can pm or post here if you're interested in coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I'll be there if you go ahead with it Barry. I'd have to shoot off after the session but I like what you're doing and want to contribute.

Lads stop whinging about the morning start, it's Xmas. It'd be worse if you spent the evening before lying in a doorway somewhere cos you lost your home.

The facilities in IP are the best I've seen so that's gotta be a plus. Imagine pushing/throwing up on a genuine Elitefts prowler!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I'll be there, ive always wanted to see Santa puke with prowler flu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

How did I only see this now? Count me in and fair play for organising!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I will be WAY too hungover to attend this. Very best of luck with it though lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Dan@IPG wrote: »
    lame enough
    kevpants wrote: »
    I'll be there if you go ahead with it Barry. I'd have to shoot off after the session but I like what you're doing and want to contribute.

Lads stop whinging about the morning start, it's Xmas. It'd be worse if you spent the evening before lying in a doorway somewhere cos you lost your home.

The facilities in IP are the best I've seen so that's gotta be a plus. Imagine pushing/throwing up on a genuine Elitefts prowler!

ah come on i thought itd be obvious to the likes of kev and roper (and IP associates) when someone is obviously not serious. need to work on my sarcasm more.

ill be there. its for charity after all. ill just have to miss the late late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

i hope to make it out, good charity, just depends if i have to work sathurday. Good luck barry and dan, well done for takin the bull by the horns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Think I might have a match on, if its not though, I'll do my best to pop up. Is it a sponsored thing or do we all give as much as we can on the way in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

cmyk wrote: »
    How did I only see this now? Count me in and fair play for organising!
    i m on if cmyk is , i like to try out new gyms and fun way to give a little to charity,and the talk after would be interesting
    can it be all about bulking,you can leave out the cutting bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Bit of a trek for me and I'm workin Friday night, but if I'm up I'd love to go - was planning on working out Saturday anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

If I'm not in work, I'll be there. Dying to see IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dan@IPG

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Is it a sponsored thing or do we all give as much as we can on the way in?

That's very generous of you ... perhaps whatever you can reasonably afford. I'm hesitant to put up a number, but anyway I will ... maybe it's €10 ... or €50 ... or €5 ... or maybe it's just whatever coins you can scrounge up out of your car. Every bit helps, and it really is for the community ... I promise that I won't use it to buy beer.

(And I have a client coming in from out of the country this weekend, so I may not be able to grace you with my svelt presence.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Brilliant idea Roper - I won't be able to make this though, have other plans.

I actually got down to the fight before Christmas and you look to have a nice setup there! Would recommend it to anyone thinking about it.

Thanks for all the support folks. I bought my Santa suit yesterday and it's quite hot in it. I think I've made a mistake.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Roper wrote: »
    I bought my Santa suit yesterday and it's quite hot in it.

Picsrlies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭gnolan

Thanks for all the support folks. I bought my Santa suit yesterday and it's quite hot in it. I think I've made a mistake.

Perhaps you could decorate your prowler like a Santa Sled and push it in your Santa suit....stuffing 20kg plates down the chimneys of the local residents? Who wouldn't want some steel for Christmas?

gnolan wrote: »
    Perhaps you could decorate your prowler like a Santa Sled and push it in your Santa suit....stuffing 20kg plates down the chimneys of the local residents? Who wouldn't want some steel for Christmas?
    That's a terrible idea because someone might make me do it.

I have to say folks I'm a bit dismayed at the lack of people responding to this. It's not so long ago that everyone was chiming in with their suggestions as to how this board could raise money for a good cause. Now we're actually doing it instead of talking about it, and there's a deafening silence.

I recognise that it's a bad time of year and you might be out the night before, but that's the point, for others it's a terrible time of year. Based on people I've spoken to, approximately 50% of the attendees will have been out the night before, but they're coming in no matter what state they're in.

So come along and show that boards.ie fitness isn't just all talk and no trousers. If you can't come along, I suggest making a donation at http://www.simon.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

I'm pretty amazed at that too. Where are all the regulars that post here?
    I can offer a lift to anyone coming from sandyford direction if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I'm busy Sat morn, but fair play to everyone that's going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

the other problem is that it is the last saturday before christmas and a lot of people like myself just aren't free to go I'm afraid. I would of liked to go but unfortunately I can't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I have to say folks I'm a bit dismayed at the lack of people responding to this. It's not so long ago that everyone was chiming in with their suggestions as to how this board could raise money for a good cause. Now we're actually doing it instead of talking about it, and there's a deafening silence.

I have an appointment with an osteo in the morning around the time of the workout. I can't change it cos he was booked up.

I have also long since established that I have no trousers.

I will add at this juncture, that I would have turned up despite my mental images of being mercilessly heckled by three smartarse jackals with big muscles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I have an appointment with an osteo in the morning around the time of the workout. I can't change it cos he was booked up.

I have also long since established that I have no trousers.

I will add at this juncture, that I would have turned up despite my mental images of being mercilessly heckled by three smartarse jackals with big muscles.
    Look...just bring the receipt and a note from your Osteo and we'll let you away with it.

I hope to hell that you aren't including Barry in that list of 'three smartarse jackals'...because if Barry counts...this forum needs a massive clearout so as to establish a whole new set of standards.

Look...just bring the receipt and a note from your Osteo and we'll let you away with it.

I hope to hell that you aren't including Barry in that list of 'three smartarse jackals'...because if Barry counts...this forum needs a massive clearout so as to establish a whole new set of standards.

Its a long way from Greystones to Glasnevin.
    By the time I get there the coffee will be cold.
    I'll just make a donation to simon and wait for the next one.......

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Its a long way from Greystones to Glasnevin.
    By the time I get there the coffee will be cold.
    I'll just make a donation to simon and wait for the next one.......
    OK...if it's Greystones to Glasnevin and back you get a pass.

celestial wrote: »
    Hey Barry, I'm off down the country tomorrow around lunchtime and hmm IP is a fair bit out for me so I might pass this time. I really wanna see the bloody gym though! So fair play to yiz and count me in for the next one - you can use this post to hold me to it.

Seeing as you're working out in a hot Santa suit (hot as in the temperature hot) I'll make a donation on simon.ie. Seems only fair.
    I don't hang out here...or post here very often...not sure what Barry and Dan do here...but I'm pretty sure that Barry lives here...when he isn't being sent to his room by moderators for being bold....but there seems to be a communication problem here...because people should know that I love visitors...I love the sound of my own voice...and I love giving people my opinion even when they don't ask for it or want it....if you want to come and see the gym just come down...if you want to come and watch training...come and watch training.

I don't hang out here...or post here very often...not sure what Barry and Dan do here...but I'm pretty sure that Barry lives here...when he isn't being sent to his room by moderators for being bold....but there seems to be a communication problem here...because people should know that I love visitors...I love the sound of my own voice...and I love giving people my opinion even when they don't ask for it or want it....if you want to come and see the gym just come down...if you want to come and watch training...come and watch training.

Might just do that someday out of barefaced curiosity.
    I find your blog stuff, like the video series with that Thai Boxer fella, facinating.

• Advertisement

celestial wrote: »
    Don't worry I will indeed. It's just that you are in the bog arse of nowhere - couldn't you have opened a gym in a normal place like Dublin city centre no? :)

Having travelled a great deal from the city centre to Glasnevin for work earlier this year, This post leads me to question your gumption.:)

Advertisement