Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

science in TCD

Options
  • 29-12-2009 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hello,
    Could someone please tell me how many hours per week is 1st year science in TCD, like what time is the earliest lecture/tutorial at in the morning and what is the latest one in the evening? is it 9-5ish everyday?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    Hello,
    Could someone please tell me how many hours per week is 1st year science in TCD, like what time is the earliest lecture/tutorial at in the morning and what is the latest one in the evening? is it 9-5ish everyday?
    Thanks
    Earliest lectures are 9 everyday. I have only one 9am start this semester tho, in at 10 every other day.

Last semester the earliest I finished was at 5 on a friday and that was because I had labs that were over at 5. Every other day I was in till 6. This being said there are days where you have unbearable gaps sometimes and others where youre going for 7 hours straight.

Heres the timetable for semester one. You do three subjects each semester in first year. so whatever three there, youre supposed to go to all lectures and one lab for each. Also this timetable doesnt include the 2 hours of maths methods/maths tutorials, 1 hour of maths labs, 1 hour of biology tutorials and 1 hour of chemistry tutorials per week.

Hope this helps[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jamie/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jamie/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

Thanks for the info
    How long is the most unbearable gap?:)
    I've heard of people having a half day or day of in first year musnt be science anyway

Thanks for the info
    I've heard of people having a half day or day of in first year musnt be science anyway
    That would be niice! My mate is doing music and he's got 8 hours a week.:mad: But a load of assignments, whereas science has lots of hours a week, lots of material covered but no 'homework' as such.

Last semester because all of my labs were on a friday, I had a really crappy Thursday.

9am maths methods lecture, then 3 hour gap, then 1pm Biology lecture, then another 3 hour gap, then 5pm Maths methods tutorial.

Lecturers are normally quite lenient if you wanna change tutorial times though, just make up a good excuse like cello lessons or something, I duno!

The reason I didnt change last semester was because I managed to get all my reading and pre-practical work done for the labs the following day done on a Thursday. (Also seeing as this was my only 9am start, I'd hit up McDonalds and grab a bacon and egg mc muffin!) Saying that though, for the last month and a half of the semester I would only turn up in time for the 1pm lecture due to tiredness laziness!

Jammyc wrote: »
    That would be niice! My mate is doing music and he's got 8 hours a week.:mad: But a load of assignments, whereas science has lots of hours a week, lots of material covered but no 'homework' as such.

Last semester because all of my labs were on a friday, I had a really crappy Thursday.

9am maths methods lecture, then 3 hour gap, then 1pm Biology lecture, then another 3 hour gap, then 5pm Maths methods tutorial.

Lecturers are normally quite lenient if you wanna change tutorial times though, just make up a good excuse like cello lessons or something, I duno!

The reason I didnt change last semester was because I managed to get all my reading and pre-practical work done for the labs the following day done on a Thursday. (Also seeing as this was my only 9am start, I'd hit up McDonalds and grab a bacon and egg mc muffin!) Saying that though, for the last month and a half of the semester I would only turn up in time for the 1pm lecture due to tiredness laziness!

Thanks
    Is it possible to change the tutorial time to early in the day?yeah it would be nice to arrive in at 1pm and feck the 9am maths lecture!
    But do you get continuous assignments that count towards your end of year result like in UCD?
    I hear UCD has the hottest chicks is this true?

Thanks
    Is it possible to change the tutorial time to early in the day?yeah it would be nice to arrive in at 1pm and feck the 9am maths lecture!
    Yeah well, you could change it to another tutorial slot. Theyre run a few times a week due to the number of people involved
    But do you get continuous assignments that count towards your end of year result like in UCD?
    Yeah, you get lab work to do but not really essays to be honest. Just practical work and questions to do in maths/chem tutorials.
    Youre askin the wrong man there!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Thanks for the info

I know a load of people in first year science who had fridays off last term, or will have fridays off next term. I myself was finished at 1 on wednesday's last term, and not in until 2 on a friday. Not sure of next term yet really haven't been arsed properly checking.

It all depends on your subject choices and which labs you are assigned to.

banjopaul wrote: »
    I know a load of people in first year science who had fridays off last term, or will have fridays off next term. I myself was finished at 1 on wednesday's last term, and not in until 2 on a friday. Not sure of next term yet really haven't been arsed properly checking.

It all depends on your subject choices and which labs you are assigned to.

Yay that sounds better
    what area of science did you do by the way?I'm interested in earthscience
    what about the wimmins though?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If you're into the orange type, then yes?!

Regarding hours for Science in TCD. There's a guy in some of my classes who did his first degree in Science and said the hours were 30+ a week. Physio is a doddle compared to it, apparently.

Larianne wrote: »
    If you're into the orange type, then yes?!

Regarding hours for Science in TCD. There's a guy in some of my classes who did his first degree in Science and said the hours were 30+ a week. Physio is a doddle compared to it, apparently.

haha!!!!!!!!!naw not really the orange types
    I need lots of opinions!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Stuck between UCD and TCD Science for no.1 myself.

Any reasons for TCD aside from oompah loompas?;)

• Advertisement

I live on the northside of Dublin so Trinity would be a little closer,I could get 1 bus or cycle,but I can drive to UCD,but would have to be there early to get parking ,I am interested in earthscience in UCD and trinity,so I dont know which is my first choice yet my flip a coin on it
    but eye candy is rather important!!!!!!!!:pac:

I got offered both TCD and UCD. But I had TCD down as my first choice as like TirNaNog, I'm from the north side. One bus, grand! Also, the course in TCD had smaller number of places.

As the college is centrally located, all the socials take place in the city centre whereas with UCD a lot of events take place out on campus.

Honestly, TirNaNog I think driving over to UCD would end up getting on your nerves, especially when deadlines come into play.

My only real gripe with TCD is the library/libraries. For such a *prestigious* university it is really badly run. UCD library much better. But if you're a person who can study at home, you'll be grand.

but eye candy is rather important!!!!!!!!:pac:

UCD wins there though. Well, speaking as a girl.

Larianne wrote: »
    I got offered both TCD and UCD. But I had TCD down as my first choice as like TirNaNog, I'm from the north side. One bus, grand! Also, the course in TCD had smaller number of places.

As the college is centrally located, all the socials take place in the city centre whereas with UCD a lot of events take place out on campus.

Honestly, TirNaNog I think driving over to UCD would end up getting on your nerves, especially when deadlines come into play.

My only real gripe with TCD is the library/libraries. For such a *prestigious* university it is really badly run. UCD library much better. But if you're a person who can study at home, you'll be grand.

I know the driving would be annoying,but so would waiting on the feckin smelly bus :) I love UCD's library too!!!!
    I really dont know!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I wish one of them needed Higher Maths or was 600 points. Then I wouldn't have to decide:rolleyes: I HATE DECISIONS

I know the driving would be annoying,but so would waiting on the feckin smelly bus :) I love UCD's library too!!!!
    I really dont know!!!!!

I know its really reeeeeally nerdish thing to say but when I was first shown around the Hamilton library I was so disappointed!! :(

I guess at the end of the day, college is what you make of it and it's up to you to get your degree.

Flip a coin lads! :D

Yay that sounds better
    what area of science did you do by the way?I'm interested in earthscience
    what about the wimmins though?

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths Methods and Geology.
    Earthscience is direct entry isn't it? Not sure if their timetabling is different to ours.
    The women are grand, not one for generalisations but they're all dead sound really.

As for the comment above saying its 30+ hours a week, nah, not in first year anyway. I had 27 hours last term i think, and I'll have less next term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

It used to be 30+ hours in the days when if you took maths methods you took geology and geography or foundation physics. It's not longer the case these days as you take one.

Earth science is direct entry IIRC you just do maths, geography, geology the first half of chemistry and foundation physics from the science course. You wouldn't be able to do the same combination of subjects through the common course though Actually you probably could, I'm just a little tired right now. They do seem to have more going on the second semester though they take on an extra subject more than I do anyway

So does that mean you cant branch into the earthscience degree in 3rd or 4th year like,say geology ?
    you need to go the direct way?

So does that mean you cant branch into the earthscience degree in 3rd or 4th year like,say geology ?
    you need to go the direct way?

I couldn't tell you for sure to be honest. Most of us in TR071 (the common entry course) do 3 subjects a semester. Earth Sciences seem to be doing 3 in the first and then 4 in the second. Looking at our timetable there's nothing to say you couldn't take the extra subject and try transfer in but I don't know anyone who is doing it or has done it. Try emailing whoever's listed in the prospectus

• Advertisement

Wow I clearly got a good deal with the ol' science hours, having heard Jammyc. In my first year now, and last semester wasnt too bad, a few long gaps (9am maths methods then 1pm bio lecture) but if you want to do science you just have to accept the long awkward hours. Friends doing Arts will be all "haha we've 8 hours a week, you've 24" but when exams/essays come along it'll be clear that really science students have a good thing going, because really everyone should be doing the same amount of hours, only the majority of ours are scheduled so it's easier for us to get the hours in, and while we may wake up before exams realising we should have done more work ( will definitely be my fate), at least we wont have a whole year's worth of reading lists to get through that we didn't finish because we were left to our own devices for so many hours a day. Or maybe nothing I just said made sense... Im not sure....

Anyway first semester I had:
    Mon 9am-6pm
    Tues 10am-6pm
    Wed 10am-1pm
    Thurs 9am-2pm (3 hour gap)
    Fri 10am-5pm

Craguls wrote: »
    I couldn't tell you for sure to be honest. Most of us in TR071 (the common entry course) do 3 subjects a semester. Earth Sciences seem to be doing 3 in the first and then 4 in the second. Looking at our timetable there's nothing to say you couldn't take the extra subject and try transfer in but I don't know anyone who is doing it or has done it. Try emailing whoever's listed in the prospectus

I know there's an unofficial option of switching to direct entry human genetics in 3rd year if you've done fairly well, think it mentioned it somewhere in the prospectus when we were applying...

Presume something similar would be in place for Earth Science since its so closely linked with our course, try emailing the course coordinator as Craguls says.

I know there's an unofficial option of switching to direct entry human genetics in 3rd year if you've done fairly well, think it mentioned it somewhere in the prospectus when we were applying...

Presume something similar would be in place for Earth Science since its so closely linked with our course, try emailing the course coordinator as Craguls says.

Same with Med Chem and PCAM apparently too. It's unofficial though and not guaranteed as you're banking on people dropping out, which is common enough apparently but never a certainty. It'll become rarer too with the drop in people doing full maths

Same with Med Chem and PCAM apparently too. It's unofficial though and not guaranteed as you're banking on people dropping out, which is common enough apparently but never a certainty. It'll become rarer too with the drop in people doing full maths

Yeah but who'd wanna switch to them?:p

True though you could end up unlucky and unable to switch across even if the option is there.

craguls wrote:
    med chem human genetics
    Yeah but who'd wanna switch to them?:p

*laughs at naive freshers week Craguls*

*laughs at naive freshers week Craguls*

At least you can laugh at yourself, good sign of humility! :D

Anyone, back on topic before we ruin this young man's thread..

Advertisement