Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best PC SFIV settings?

Options
  • 20-01-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Ok. I tied the benchmark but never actually messed around with its settings too much. My PC is basically on the minimum settings I think. I need to upgrade anyway. I was thinking of playing on a bearable setting (if I can) until I upgrade. My spec is

AMD 2.0GHZ
    nVidia 6600+
    2 GB RAM
    Windows XP

Just downloading the benchmark now (again xD). I'll try and mess around with the settings but I can't help but feel I'm making some silly mistake/not understanding it 100%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well i had nvidia 6700 which is hacked version of 660 and 4gb ram and mine didnt run at 60 fps

try everything at lowest to see if u get 60 fps first?

fixed frame rate of course [not varied]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

ah 6600 is well , a low end version of a 6800 which was a decent card..5-6 years ago.

Having said that the 8600m in my laptop is about the same as the 6800 and I can run it on medium. So *maybe* you could pull 60 with everything on ultra low. Back grounds off etc, 800x600 resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Rope when you've played the game at 60fps, it almost makes you wanna vomit playing at anything lower. For this game its all about framerate. Going over 60 is also a no no. I just wanna stress that this is for this game only, I'm not one of those over the top PC geeks who cry at not having crysis run at 150fps, Iplay most games at 40, Arma 2 plays at 25-30.

An 8400 is about the same as a 6600, I think the 6600 probably has better memory bandwidth or some crap and the 8400 better at certain effects, either way the performance would be around this same I'd say.

Both of you could get a brand new card that'd run 60fps np for 50 euro. Or even cheaper if you check adverts for old, ex medium - top end cards going for cheap.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Keep Parallel Rendering ON and turn everything down to the absolute LAST (Including resolution) and see how that pans out

Parallel rendering gives an fps boost? I've actually no idea what this setting does, always wondered.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Not to be too mean, but -- 15/30 FPS? That sounds slower than World Warrior!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

how can you play SF4 at anything less than 60fps?
    also does this affect the other player online.

i like short answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Placebo wrote: »

i like short answers.

I actually nearly pissed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Placebo wrote: »
    how can you play SF4 at anything less than 60fps?
    also does this affect the other player online.

i like short answers.
    RopeDrink wrote: »
    FPS has nothing to do with gamespeed, so in essence (and I thought it'd be obvious) I'm playing at the same speed as you guys except the animations and visual experience is just a little choppier - That I have no problem with at all and I can't see how it's such a big deal, really.

I'd only like 60 FPS on the premise that to have 60 FPS means a nice machine capable of playing SF4 at sexy visual settings, not because of the FPS itself.

@Placebo it effects nobody so long as I (and the opponent) have Framerate set to 'FIXED' which means the game plays at intended speed for both players (whomever has the worse computer will just have to grin and bare their GFX settings) whereas if I had it set to Variable and I joined you in a game, the game would slow SF4 down to a speed that plays out in 15 FPS (ie. super f'ing slow motion) - I really don't understand why such an option exists - I think it's ludicrous to allow a game slow down another player purely because it figures it's 'fair' to slow it to the speed of the lower end PC of the two.

I lose nothing via having FPS at 30 as the animations are, for the most part, very smooth and enough to judge the things needed. 15 FPS was a different kettle of fish as things are very choppy and I used to find it difficult to time things or react as animations would start a little earlier (or seem to) such as jumpins and the likes. The extra 15FPS I got from changing the model quality cured that tenfold and the difference from 30>60 wouldn't be as major.

I'm not going to link my movies as my own settings has nothing to do with the topic but anyone who has seen my earlier Eire Evaluation games will notice the terrible choppy 15 FPS games and if you see any of my more recent ones you must admit it's not all that bad.

Naturally anyone who is used to 60/Max FPS will think I'm crazy, whereas I'm used to 15/30 (Now 30) having playing like this since day 1. I don't know any different, and won't until I get a better computer.

In the interest of the topic, the killer FPS option for me thus far was Models - Some backgrounds are tolerable while others are a bit of a hog but even then it didn't hurt all that much to have BG set on Medium/High (Don't actually think it has a Medium setting, can't remember) whereas Model Quality was crucifying me, especially on closeups.

I turned my projectiles/particle setting to Max (From low) and, in turn, turned my Model Quality down to Medium (From High), 2xAAliasing on 800x600 Resolution with no shadows and the game jumped up 15 FPS so I wager everything on low and the lowest resolution would pump it up to 40+, maybe even 60, but I cannot fathom the concept of playing the game while it looks that terrible, for the sake of smoother animations.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

This is why I got the console version.Less stress.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Your alright ropey, t'was just funny reading his post then scrolling down to see a big wall of text as a reply.:D

I tend to post long arse posts myself sure :p Your right, its just these poor lads aint intelligent enough to be able to comprehend more than 4 sentences :pac:

Me and you though ropey, we know the score. We should write a book and call it "Conversations on Street Fighter" , would only take 2 days of us replying posts to each other to make up enough for a book ;) One half will be made up of incoherent ramblings going off on random tangents and the other, extremely long winded. It's genius!

Then we can blow all the money on gambling, hookers and copious amounts of class A drugs.

Psychedelic!

Whaddaya say ropey?

Ropey?

Rope?

Ro...?, awwwwwwww :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

QPC

That's Quiet Personal Chuckle. I'm starting a revolution right here!

• Advertisement
Advertisement