Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Freezing your butt off in the mornings? Read this!

Options
  • 25-01-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭

Hey all.
    Thought I’d throw up a short guide on how I installed heated seats over the last few days into my ’00 BMW 728i.
    During the cold snap I was sick of the freezing leather in the mornings and the original owner opted not purchase the cold weather package so I thought to hell with it, I could do with some heated seats!

I got the heated seat kit from www.heatedseatkits.com who provide heated seat elements to the car industry, to manufacturers like Mercedes and BMW themselves. They’re even used in the 7 series produced today so I thought no better choice. Price was about €170 shipped for two kits, one for each front seat.
    Each kit consists of two heater elements and a single wiring harness with an inbuilt switch and fuse. All you have to do is get the elements under your seat covering whether it be leather or cloth, and wire up the 12v + and – to the cars battery or ignition. There are two heat settings, high and low and the mode is indicated by either a green or red LED on the heater button.

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

First things first, you absolutely have to get the seats out of the car or you’ll drive yourself nutty.
    If you have electric seats, you have to disconnect the wiring harness under the seat. Disconnect the battery first or you’ll get an airbag light on your dash also. The seat belt also had to be unbolted as well as the automatic adjuster for the seat belt height in the B pillar.

Four bolts removed and the seat was in the house. The flash makes the leather look filthy when in fact its immaculate, I promise!

h4.jpg

Then I had to get the plastic housing that holds all the electric adjustment buttons off. A series of screws held it on.

h5.jpg

Then pop the buttons.
    h6.jpg

And off it comes.
    h7.jpg

Then I started removing the backing of the seat, two more screws.

h8.jpg

h9.jpg

The idea here is to get the leather off the seats with minimal removal.
    The leather is held on with little metal claws all the way round the seat, and each one has to be bent to unpin the leather from the seat.
    h10.jpg

h11.jpg

Here is the location of the large screw that holds the bottom of the seat and the seat back together.
    h12.jpg

h13.jpg

Now the leather is free to be removed from the back of the seats, however it is still pinned to the front of the seats to stop it moving around when sat on.

As I did not have the correct tools to reattach the leather, I did very little removal so as I could get the leather back on with no problems.

h14.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

So I just got the heater elements and slid them under the leather as far as they would go.
    Once in place, I unpeeled the adhesive strips and pressed the elements into the foam to make firm contact.

h15.jpg

h16.jpg

This is where the cable comes out of the seat back.

h17.jpg

And this is the cable with the leather reattached.

h18.jpg

Once both elements were installed in the seat, I put the seat back and bottom back together, with both cables in position.

h19.jpg

Now the heater buttons have to be installed.
    I choose to install them into the plastic housing beside the OEM buttons on the seat.

h20.jpg

Drilling the hole for the button.

h21.jpg

h22.jpg

And the finished product below.
    I will be respraying the plastic housing to get rid of the white scuffs later on.

h23.jpg

h24.jpg

Once the button was in place, I was able to install the harness under the seat and route the cables so that they do not interfere with the movement of the seat.
    This is how the cables are routed.

h25.jpg

h26.jpg

h27.jpg

All the excess cable is held inside the plastic housing on the side of the seat.

h28.jpg

Now I started putting the seats back in and wiring them to the rear of the car where the battery is located in the boot.
    This involved removing all the trim pieces on both sides of the car door sills and routing the power cables under the rear seats and into the boot.
    B pillar trim removed below.

h29.jpg

Then I removed the rear seats.
    Here you can see the factory power lines running from the front of the car into the battery in the boot.

h30.jpg

I wrapped up the seat power cables with cable ties and used heat shrink to protect the cable as the seat bottom brackets would be sitting on top of them once reinstalled.

h31.jpg

Seat installed with no visible wires.
    Power cables are now running along the inside of the door sill carpet.

h32.jpg

Here you can see where the heated seat power cables end, at the door sill of the rear doors.
    So I had to extend them to reach into the boot.

h33.jpg

Spliced together.

h34.jpg

And heat shrink on both connections on both sides of the car.

h35.jpg

h36.jpg

The cables go through the same hole on the rear passenger side, so the driver seat cable had to be routed under the rear seat to the passenger side.

h37.jpg

Here is the hole where both cables run under the parcel shelf to the boot.

h38.jpg

h39.jpg

I used a coat hanger to get the cables into the boot. Here they are ready to be connected.

h40.jpg

I reinstalled the included fuse housings onto both 12v + cables.

h41.jpg

I’ve actually changed the wiring of the whole setup in the last few days so that they are connected directly to the battery for better safety, however here I had them wired into 12v ignition that goes into the rear headlamp housing.

h42.jpg

h43.jpg

h44.jpg

Here are the seats installed back in the car. Again the flash makes them look filthy when they’re actually immaculate.

h45.jpg

P1190771.jpg

Job done! The heat from the seats is fantastic and I now have warmth starting from about 60-90 seconds instead of waiting for the heater core to warm up.
    Just a warning that the job is in fact a lot bigger than it looks, it must have taken me about 8 hours to get the whole thing done.

Mind you if you don’t have electic seats and your battery is in the front of the car, you will certainly save yourself a lot of time.
    I also got the newest 16:9 display installed over the same weekend, as well as the latest MK4 nav computer in the boot.

df4.jpg

GetAttachment2.jpg

df3.jpg

I just cant help myself. :D Heated seats in the rear, factory xenons and factory radar cruise contol are probably my next mods.

Give it a go! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Brilliant! Really does look like a big job, lots of fiddly stuff to do in there. Worst part (for me) would be splicing the heater wires into the boot loom :eek: Can't wait to see radar cruise control, there's a video about using it. Very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Fair play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Looks like a very good "how-to" write up.

p.s. i just bought the car with them already installed, it was a lot easier:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Not to diminish your work, but when I had my old Saab with heated seats I only used them once or twice and that just because they were there and not because it was particularly cold.

When I installed heated Saab seats in my van I just snipped the heater controls off because I didn't want to go through the hassle of connecting them :D

Having seen what work you went through I feel guilty now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

jaysus!! fair play to you for doing that, can't imagine myself doing all that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I really did love that 7 series when it was new. Still a special car im sure.
    Nice job on the seats.
    Is retro fit of radar cruise possible?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

looks great fair play man!

Also the Mk4 BMW system is brialliant, did you use the 3d isometric view yet?

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    Brilliant! Really does look like a big job, lots of fiddly stuff to do in there. Worst part (for me) would be splicing the heater wires into the boot loom :eek: Can't wait to see radar cruise control, there's a video about using it. Very cool.

Yup, saw that video, that chap know everything about E38s, hes a massive help on the forums.
    peasant wrote: »
    Not to diminish your work, but when I had my old Saab with heated seats I only used them once or twice and that just because they were there and not because it was particularly cold.

When I installed heated Saab seats in my van I just snipped the heater controls off because I didn't want to go through the hassle of connecting them :D

Having seen what work you went through I feel guilty now :o

:D I know what you mean, there has only been 50% of days over the last few weeks where i've actually turned them on. The car retains heat really well so the only times I use them really is first thing in the morning or late at night.

But thats why I installed them as I can work late til 1am, as well as early starts like everyone else.

gumbo wrote: »
    looks great fair play man!

Also the Mk4 BMW system is brialliant, did you use the 3d isometric view yet?

Yup, went into the settings and enabled it yesterday, looks great!
    mickdw wrote: »
    I really did love that 7 series when it was new. Still a special car im sure.
    Nice job on the seats.
    Is retro fit of radar cruise possible?

It sure is, every single function that was an original option can be retrofitted no problem. Typically they're all functions from the 750.
    I've still a long way to go, radar cruise control, rear electric seats, rear picnic tables, electric folding mirrors, rear fridge, auto open boot, electric sunblinds. The list is endless. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yup, went into the settings and enabled it yesterday, looks great!

It sure is, every single function that was an original option can be retrofitted no problem. Typically they're all functions from the 750.
    I've still a long way to go, radar cruise control, rear electric seats, rear picnic tables, electric folding mirrors, rear fridge, auto open boot, electric sunblinds. The list is endless. :)

Dear god man, where do you get the time (and money)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Well done OP, great thread, there should be a sub-forum here for how-to's like these. Don't think I'd bother doing that myself though :rollyeyes:

Confab wrote: »
    Dear god man, where do you get the time (and money)?

Funnily enough, I have very little of either. Seats were done over the single day I have off during the week. And as I say, that list is things to do, not things that have been done!

Bangernomics at its best, this car has served me well over the last two years and i'll get another 3 out of it no problem. Depreciation isnt a factor to me, so why not spend the savings on a few extra toys that cars ten year on still don't have. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We could do with a subforum for these how to threads. Be nice to have them all on their own where they wont slip away . Might encourage others to contribute similar efforts too.

Definitely, a How To thread would be fantastic.
    I'd love to see peoples contributions on even simple things that might get more people doing their own work, like oil changes, brake pad changes etc. Once you read how its done, its very easy to do a lot of work yourself.
    I'll be doing a brake disc and pad change tutorial soon, as well as a cooling system overhaul in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Excellent work man!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Stekelly wrote: »
    We could do with a subforum
    Definitely, a How To thread would be fantastic.

then throw your weight behind this:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055687388

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Stekelly wrote: »
    We could do with a subforum for these how to threads. Be nice to have them all on their own where they wont slip away . Might encourage others to contribute similar efforts too.

Exactly - At the moment they are scattered and soon to be lost!!!

As well as this excellent and immaculately detailed thread (Thanks again Voodoo)

We've the Artist formerly known as Volvo Boys How to service a Car.

JHMEGs Reverse parking Sensors and EGR Cleaning

Magnus's Cleaning a Throttle Body

Are there others I've missed?

P.S. To those who don't want or use their heated seats????? I love my heated seats (Factory fit) - I always hit my own button and then have a habit of turning on the empty passenger seat too just to radiate some extra heat form any other source to kill the morning freezingness!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Raiser wrote: »
    Exactly - At the moment they are scattered and soon to be lost!!!

As well as this excellent and immaculately detailed thread (Thanks again Voodoo)

We've the Artist formerly known as Volvo Boys How to service a Car.

JHMEGs Reverse parking Sensors and EGR Cleaning

Magnus's Cleaning a Throttle Body

Are there others I've missed?

P.S. To those who don't want or use their heated seats????? I love my heated seats (Factory fit) - I always hit my own button and then have a habit of turning on the empty passenger seat too just to radiate some extra heat form any other source to kill the morning freezingness!!!

Personally, i like turning on my passengers heated seat without telling them and then watching them get uncomfortable as it keeps getting hotter. Works a charm on summer days!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Well done, nice job and very well explained with good photos.
    It would be nice to see a how to section and we could all add to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Great post, it's great to see old BMW's being treated well.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Michael1987

Is it severe on the battery?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Good write up. WAECO also do a kit. (or is it the same one?) WAECO also do other seat comfort products

(I don't suffer from frozen butt as my '82 Volvo has an automatic heated front driver's seat.) :pac:

Is it severe on the battery?

Hard to tell. Because I have them wired directly to the battery at the moment, I forgot to turn them off the other night, they were both on for an hour and a half and the battery was fine when I went to start the engine later.

Then again, the E38 has a mega battery the size of two regular batteries, I once left my rear TV on all for 24 hours and the car started no problem. However I reckon if the heated seats were left on for any amount of time greater than 2-3 hours the battery would be flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

*FAB* article, great pics, nice car !

Advertisement