Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Superstar of the Week - Week 4 - The Rock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

This guy is the reason I started watching wrestling. Even when he turned heel towards the end of his WWE career I still cheered him. Unique charisma and mic skills, a pure athlete and sorely missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Tribesmen7

When the Rock had a mic in his hand, I KNEW I was about to be entertained.

One of the biggest names ever, infact maybe only Hogan and Austin are bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,058 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

seminal Matches imo:

v Angle; Backlash 2001

v Austin; WrestleMania XVII

v HHH; Judgment Day 2000 (Ironman Match)

v Lesnar; SummerSlam 2002

there are many more than this, but his seminal promos are, imo, (excluding the one where he does all the impressions, which i can't seem to find on YouTube):

Ending the Vince 'Kiss My Ass Club' w/ Rikishi on Smackdown at end of 2001.

Return with Eugene.

'Happy Birthday to Steph' promo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

His Mic skills were unreal but have to say his finisher the people elbow was just awful it most have been a p*ss take on Hogans leg drop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

The people's elbow was just the icing on the cake tbh. His true finisher was the rock bottom, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

hes The jabroni beating, pie eating, trail blazing, eye brow raising, the best in the present, future and past, and if ya’ll don’t like him you can kiss the people’s ass, you know his face you know his name, he inducted his family into the hall of fame, people's champ THE ROCK!

such a legend, best "superstar" to ever pick up a mic, while people say he wasnt the best technical wrestler, he entertained start to finish, told a story along the way, and could keep the crowd in the palm of his hand face or heel! The E is crying out for someone like him....and NO that is not john cena!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

The Great One.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Tribesmen7

Heel Rock and The Hurricane

Rock and Austin singing

Royal Rumble 2000 promo

I love that promo at the Rumble to set up the I Quit match between Rock and Mankind.

i forgot this one.

basically, one of the greatest promos i've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Absolutely brilliant. Favourite match of his is the I quit match with mankind from the Rumble. Think it's easily on of the best Attitude Era matches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment! :D

another great promo this time Booker T gets the Rock treatment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo4Gc0v_pU0

• Registered Users Posts: 33,227 ✭✭✭✭Penn

His return in 2001 where he could choose either WWE or The Alliance was unreal. Barely said two words, but his expressions throughout said it all. And when he did choose WWE, it was one of the biggest pops I've ever heard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

The People's Elbow just added to the man, the most electrifying move in Sports Entertainment

Its brilliant the way he slides to the finish, anybody else would have slipped or panicked and made it look stupid, not Rocky he glides and then finishes it off to perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i was lucky enough to see rock and austin perform live in person in 1998-99, there is no doubt in my mind who the bigger star was in the ring and its not the guy from miami ;)

anyways was also there to see rock hold the wwe title for the last time in long island august 25 2002 and the last time he ever wrestled in a wwe ring march 14 2004 in msg

one more...

the 'you ain't nothing' segment of this promo in particular still has me in stitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

The Rock concert in Sacramento is classic heel material. He has one of the best crowd reactions I can remember.

Some great stuff posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant. Favourite match of his is the I quit match with mankind from the Rumble. Think it's easily on of the best Attitude Era matches

Those chair shots still make me shudder. I love The Rock, awesome in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The Greatest on the mike... of all time in my humble opinion. I think The Great One could have a classic match with just about anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    The Greatest on the mike... of all time in my humble opinion. I think The Great One could have a classic match with just about anybody.

this guy disagrees

08sultan.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

But in fairness, did anybody ever have a good match with Rikishi / The Sultan???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

He was so far ahead of his time with this promo in Hunter.
    2003 foreshadowing maybe? :pac::pac:
    Steph trying not to laugh makes it even more awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Love this one with Booker T

"..Stone Cold Steve Austin, why don't you come down and hug The Rock"

"...just so The Rock understands this, you're the WCW...champion...sucka"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Sort of sums up how awesome the Rock was..

Will we ever see him the ring again? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If we're including great Rock moments we have to include this:

Perhaps the greatest example of The Rock's talents however doesn't seem to be on Youtube. It was the night after Wrestlemania 18 in Canada. Hogan was over huge, Rock was getting booed out of the building. Then Hall and Nash came out near the end of the segment. The Rock owned them so bad and so spectacularly that the entire arena went from booing the guy to chanting 'Rocky, Rocky'.

I'm not sure if any wrestler in history could be able to turn a crowd (a Canadian crowd remember) from outright hatred to passionate support just through the power of his words and his charisma. A definite legend.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

The best ever on the mic no one even comes close

I always think he was way better than Stone Cold and Hogan on the mic and in the ring

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Will we ever see him the ring again? :(

As ;ong as you have absolutley no follow up questions

Yes, yes we will!

As ;ong as you have absolutley no follow up questions

Yes, yes we will!

Maybe i should start a petition to get him back :p

I'm hoping when he is inducted into the HOF he might partake in a match at that WM or be involved somehow :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement