Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 Years in prison for 189 charges of sexual abuse

Options
  • 28-01-2010 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

This was on RTÉ News. The offender's name is Edwin Curry and the 189 charges were only sample charges and referred to only 9 of this individual's victims. He committed these offences over a 21-year period. It was not an 'accident' or an 'oversight', and it was not a 'once-off'.

He received a paltry 4 years for this. How many lives has this individual destroyed? It's infuriating that he gets a simple tap on the wrist as a result of existing legislation. A representative of the Irish Rape Crisis Centre was on radio pointing out that all of these sexual offenders (i.e. without exception) receive sentences which run concurrently rather than consecutively and thus they get out in around 3 years rather than stay in prison for decades.

Is anybody in this state accountable for the leniency which marks the treatment of sexual offenders in Irish courtrooms?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,796 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Maybe the local priest gave him a glowing character reference!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I heard on the radio the other day that some foreign national was sentenced to 6 years for stabbing someone to death.. it's pretty fcuked up

I mean fair enough if the death was caused in a fist fight, but when you put a knife in someone and they die, that's murder.. there should be no defense for it

I heard on the radio the other day that some foreign national was sentenced to 6 years for stabbing someone to death.. it's pretty fcuked up

I mean fair enough if the death was caused in a fist fight, but when you put a knife in someone and they die, that's murder.. there should be no defense for it

But can't you also murder someone with your bare hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,919 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Eddie Halvey: 7 months suspended sentence, Vehicular Manslaughter of a Child, Drunk Driving

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

It is shocking - the prison/judicial system in this country seems to be built around the fact of getting people out ASAP.

Ah sure -it was only a mistake, he is a nice lad really :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

walshb wrote: »

Yeah but fights happen. Someone can slip and bang their head, it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be punished but it could have been an accident

Stabbing someone is, imo, attempting to kill someone

Yeah but fights happen. Someone can slip and bang their head, it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be punished but it could have been an accident

Stabbing someone is, imo, attempting to kill someone

I thought that it was you were getting at. Knifing someone to death without it being in self defence seems clear cut murder to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Overheal wrote: »
    Eddie Halvey: 7 months suspended sentence, Vehicular Manslaughter of a Child, Drunk Driving

I don't understand why a vehicle is not viewed the same way as a knife or gun. If you go out shooting with a gun drunk you would be charged.

A car is a two ton weapon in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

the judges who hand out these sentences to the likes of this scumbag and other molestors ,rapists cant be living in the real world...if this sort of henious thing was to happen to one of their family im sure they would have a different opinion..but then again law and justice are 2 different things.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I don't understand why a vehicle is not viewed the same way as a knife or gun. If you go out shooting with a gun drunk you would be charged.

A car is a two ton weapon in my opinion.
    Right. You can still get a manslaughter charge iirc if you were to beat someones face in with a hammer say, if you were on a job site. Shouldnt Vehicles on the Road fall under the same category?

To be fair, what carries a heavier punishment?

The Drunk Driving alone would have gotten him mandatory prison years in the states. Before factoring in Deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

Its absolutely digusting, I really don't get why the sentences are concurrent . The sentencing laws and guidelines are a joke, he gets a few years and they get a life sentence. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

A very light sentence for a repeat offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

At least youve a chance to defend yourself in a fist fight, if someone has a knife your pretty f%*ked aint you

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I have no doubt my following comments will attract the attention of the P.C. Police, but here goes. First of all the evil 8astard should be castrated, have both hands amputated and have his eyes pecked out by starving Ravens. Then let him do his 4 years, that might be fair I think.
    Regarding judicial sentencing, well should we be shocked by the leniency it regularly shows to Pedophile scum. Remember a couple of years ago, the judge who had his computer hard drive full of pedophile images. Wasn't it convenient he walked, because the judge and the Gardai between them ended up putting the wrong date on the warrant. What's that I smell? Could it might be the smell of a pedophile ring at work? it would make you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Anyone who deliberately or knowingly harms another should be punished properly. How could the judge think that this guy was 'cured' or never going to do that kind of thing again. If i had a gun....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Concurrent sentences = BOLLOCKS. Its like 2 crimes for the price of 1. Or in this guy's case, 189 for the price of one. Disgusting.

bigbadbear wrote: »
    Anyone who deliberately or knowingly harms another should be punished properly. How could the judge think that this guy was 'cured' or never going to do that kind of thing again. If i had a gun....:mad:
    Id be a hypocrite if I agreed with that. But more time than 4 years. Come on.

These kind of require a lot more personal reflection than that, I am sure. Rehabilitated in 4 years after 21 years and repeated counts of sexual abuse? Yeah. Im sure.

He should spent at least as much time in Prison-Rehabilitation as he did committing these crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

I have lived across the street from this guy all my life, I came home one weekend to be told of the charges, I was shocked to say the least.
    I never actually spoke to the guy but I remember playing near his house,collecting conkers down the lane beside his house, frightening.

It's a bloody disgrace, 4 years, how many hours have the victims suffered through their life because of him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I gotta get the name of this guys lawyer..

Wazdakka wrote: »
    I gotta get the name of this guys lawyer..

Don't you mean the name of the judge? Had the lawyer got him off, then yes, get his name. It was the judge who sentenced the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Don't you mean the name of the judge? Had the lawyer got him off, then yes, get his name. It was the judge who sentenced the man.
    ok..

that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

I think its pretty obvious sex crimes are not considered a serious crime in Ireland, between the example in this thread, in Listowel co. Kerry and the church.

A guy in the States was sentenced to 50 years last week for abusing 1 girl over 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    It is shocking - the prison/judicial system in this country seems to be built around the fact of getting people out ASAP.

Ah sure -it was only a mistake, he is a nice lad really :mad::mad:

Prisons full because of war on drugs tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So how do you become a judge,

50 years for everyone! I'd be a horrible bastard I would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

how can the judge who handed out this sentence live with himself?

why has nothing been done about these light sentences?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Ah but remember.... there're 2 things prisoners love.... Children and mothers.

There's a reason peadophiles are segregated away from the main prison populations in the US. They'd be dead inside a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

It's really no wonder the mob want the death sentence re-introduced when sentences like this are handed out for such heinous crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

So how do you become a judge,

50 years for everyone! I'd be a horrible bastard I would

Hah! You'd be a big Jessie compared to Peter! Doesn't want him ever to see the light of free day again. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 pennylane22

Gringo180 wrote: »
    At least youve a chance to defend yourself in a fist fight, if someone has a knife your pretty f%*ked aint you

Well not if its a knife fight, than its even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I knew this sick cnut, when I was younger me and my mates had a motorbike and needed to get it fixed we brought it up to him as he was known to fix bikes locally. He brought us into his shed aswel and he had a load of kittens. He wanted us to stay around then place, I thought he was a freak at the time but not a kiddie fiddler.

Nearly died of shock when I saw him in the sun a few months back, I'd love to burn his house down, what a sicko. Needless to say he didn't fiddle with me as I was with a few of my friends.

Advertisement