Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Statutory Registration of Allied Professions

Options
  • 13-02-2010 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

just did a long post with lots of links only to find I'd got logged out and lost it...grrr.

Anyway, we all know Statutory Registration is coming, but nobody seems to know a lot about it.

Will there be one body for all the Allied Professions?

Will it subsume the existing 2 statutory registration bodies (THe Medical Council for doctors, An Bord Altranais for nurses)?

Will there be a number of new registration bodies - one for physiotherapists, one for occupational therapists, one for psychologists/psychotherapists/counsellors?

Will there be different bodies for psychologists and psychotherapists and counsellors?

Will existing bodies become Statutory Registration bodies? Will PSI become the Stat Reg body for psychologists? Will ICP become the Stat Reg body for psychotherapists and counsellors? Or will IACP? or which?

Some information below:

The website of the Health and Social Care Professions website: http://www.coru.ie/

NB - Neither counsellors nor psychotherapists are on this list. Psychologists are on the list.

Minister announces 10million investment for allied health professionals (2000)

Report of the Expert Group on Various Health Professions, 2000

Speech by John Moloney, Minister for Equality, Disability & Mental Health,2008 on Stat Reg

Psychological Therapies Forum call for statutory registration

same, looking like a press release from ICP, so I'm thinking ICP is involved in the Psychological Therapies Forum.

Does anyone know what bodies are involved in the Psychological Therapies Forum? (PSI, ICP, IACP, who??)

Found this submission on the IACP site

From the PSI website

This thread is just for information, not to discuss the concept of statutory registration.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jupiter36

Further information on the development of the Health and Social Care Professionals Council can be found on the Department of Health and Children website - http://www.dohc.ie/public/information/care_in_your_community/registration_of_health_and_social_care_professionals.html?lang=en

The Press Release Section on the DoHC site occasionally has updates e.g.
    http://www.dohc.ie/press/releases/2008/20080509b.html

The DoHC site also has a list of the representative of each professional body on the registration councils. If you are a member of any of the professional bodies, they may or may not keep you updated on the registration process through their professional publications (e.g. The Irish Psychologist). Unfortunately, PSI does not keep its website updated.

The IASW has a download of a recent update presented by Ginny Hanrahan - http://www.iasw.ie/index.php/hscpc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Yes the bickering and sniping among psychotherapy accrediting organisations and training programmes is somewhat endemic. However I'm not sure I agree that it puts off genuinely interested people in getting into the field.

I'll give you a brief sketch of who is who. None of the following are statutory regulators.

The PSI is the accrediting organisation for psychologists, so counselling psychologists and clinical psychologists will be accredited by them. The legislation is on the books for a statutory registration board to accredit and regulate them in the future.

Psychiatrists have the Irish College of Psychiatry.

Psychotherapists and counsellors have lots. There is:

Irish Council for Psychotherapy - they are an umbrella organisation comprised of:

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)

The Family Therapy Association of Ireland (FTAI)

The Irish Analytical Psychology Association (IAPA)

The Irish Association of Humanistic & Integrative Psychotherapy (IAHIP)

The Irish Constructivists Psychotherapy Association (ICPA)

The Irish Forum for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapists (IFPP)

The Irish Forum for Child & Adolescent Psychotherapy (IFCAPP)

The Irish Group Analytic Society (IGAS)

The Irish Psychoanalytic Association (IPAA)

The Northern Ireland Institute of Human Relations (NIIHR)

Among them IAHIP would be the biggest non-psychoanalytic group. There would have been some sniping over the years between them and the IACP as two of the largest groups who accredit your average humanistic and integrative therapist. Their accreditation standards are higher than the IACP's because IAHIP require that training be at postgraduate level unlike IACP which admits those without a degree.

IACP - are one of, if not the biggest, accrediting bodies in the country. I've always thought of them as being more on the counsellor side of the traditional counsellor - psychotherapy thing.

The Irish Association for Psychotherapy in Primary Care - accredit therapists who work in primary health care settings. They are relatively new, their accreditation standards are very high, and I have no clue how big their membership is.

The Irish Association of Alcohol and Addiction Counsellors - they accredit therapists who work in addiction.

There are religious kind of ones such as:
    ACCORD Catholic Marriage Care Service
    The National Association for Pastoral Counsellors and Psychotherapists

I'll mention The Association for Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy in Ireland or Odysseus will get annoyed :) A lot of them are into Lacan.

There's the The Irish Gestalt Society, The Irish Association for Cognitive Analytical Therapy, Institute of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Ireland (small group of REBT'ers), a few hypnotherapy ones some of which claim to also be psychotherapy, NCII.

And I'm sure there are others.

Any prospective trainee should consider that their course should meet the standards laid down by the submission to the government on statutory regulation. So that means postgrad level for a start. They should consider that their course would ultimately enable them to reach the level to get the European Certificate of Psychotherapy. They should also consider that their training will get them accredited and respected by bodies unconnected to the training course itself.

At the moment this probably means aiming to join the ICP after training.

A lot of the sniping is low level and usually restricted to people involved in the organisation of the bodies. NCII is the only body I know of which explicitly markets that their courses are more legitimate than any of the others.

If you don't have a degree before starting your therapy training then you will be looking at joining the IACP usually, and many people with degrees choose to train in an IACP accredited course and choose to join them after. If you're into psychoanalysis then there are lots of ICP affiliated bodies to choose from or APPI. Otherwise it's usually some IPC body, often IAHIP.

The situation is ludicrous tbh. There's also tension about money. For example PCI college which usually leads to IACP membership would have taken a lot of money away from courses accredited by IAHIP.

It would be nice to say that it's all just sillyness, and mostly it is, but there are yahoos out there too. We need statutory regulation imo. At least that would stop the organisations with bad standards claiming they train and accredit therapists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

hotspur wrote: »

I'll mention The Association for Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy in Ireland or Odysseus will get annoyed :) A lot of them are into Lacan.

Great informative post and yes I was looking to see where you would metion my crowd;)

Just an update, I got some stuff in the post today around Reg Stat and APPI; it looks like is causing more trouble again. I didn't have the time to read it, I'll give a further update when I have had the chance to read the material, but if I read it correctly this morning it looks like we are having an emergency AGM around it. It's a heated topic in APPI will a good amount for or against it.

Just to elborate on my last post APPI are indeed having a EMG in Sept in order to decide whether or not APPI will join the ICP. It's a difficult topic for us, personally I see the damage untrained therapists cause. However, with APPI there are those who incorperate Freud and Lacan in our work in various State settings and those who only work analytically; this is without the debate on the difference between psychoanalytic psychotherapy and psychoanalysis [proper if you will].

It's a difficult question for us, as pyschoanalysis in itself will not be covered by Stat Reg. Some people do not want the State involved in accredition or APPI, but a significant amount of these members are covered by memberships of RCPsych,PSI, ICGP, and the likes.

The other group are people with no other professional memberships, who after such a long training need a group to stand over their ability to practice. Even myself as member of APPI and the I.A.A.A.C, the later is a lower grade body to be honest; however, I must acknowledge things have changed within the I.A.A.A.C within the last few years, so it is becoming a tad stronger. So if the APPI vote against it, I wonder if that would effect my ability to call myself a psychotherapist? I do think it could have negative consequences for my career if we voted against it.

We have basical membership and in the last few years a position called Reg Pract. grade, a lot of people haven't gone for the Reg Pract as it currently means nothing outside of APPI. Part of the problem is APPI was not formed to train psychoanalysts or psychotherapists it was formed for those people who where interested in working or learning about the work of Freud and Lacan, from that small group in St Vicents grew what we have today. It found itself involved in training by default, the MSc in St Vincents was born, this was followed by LSB now DBS and in recent years by the independent college, all founded and in most part taught by APPI members.

I hope people choose wisely in Sept, as this will have implications for the future of psychoanalysis in Ireland, if it becomes something you can only use in private practice, which will happen if we opt out, then people will not see it as a method of therapy that can be applied within State agencies, the irony is if this became the case, those who vote against it, will still have access to employment by the State, they will just use there other professional memberships.

Anyway that is my understanding of the current situation APPI and Stat Reg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

This is the latest from the UK, where the Health Professions Council (HPC) just lost a court action regarding the regulation of counselling and psychotherapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Coru is the regulating body for health and social care professions in Ireland.

Maybe at last we'll have an end to the nonsense that existing bodies will become regulating statutory bodies. Existing bodies will be able to continue as professional organisations, but they will not be holding Fitness to Practice hearings - Coru will do that as part of its regulatory function.

What happened in the UK with psychology

Advertisement