Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Legend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

atech wrote: »
    If the Legend is the successor to the Hero how come the prices are the same?

Was just thinking of getting the Hero last week, good thing I didn't so!

Generally, that's the way it works. E72 is the same price as the E71 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

when people get this phone - can they confirm there is no dropping of calls as per the original hero problems on meteor? I am referring to the dropping of 3g then having to set to 2g only to receive calls! would be interested if this issue was sorted still have a friend on the hero having this problem :/

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

Went in store to get one yesterday, they have Legends in store on Grafton St and Henry St anyways

Was told that the phone would cost €30 more than the prices quoted online because I was an existing Meteor customer - apparently the prices (€49 to €129) apply only to customer porting over to the network

attachment.php?attachmentid=108775&stc=1&d=1269596343

Double checked the website today, it doesn't mention the extra €30 charge at all but does give a vague disclaimer in the small print

Anyways I got annoyed as being an existing Meteor customer (PAYG), I thought if anything I'd be entitled to a better deal, not a worse one. Not going to be getting a Legend while this pricing system is in place, it's unfair...

attachment.php?attachmentid=108776&stc=1&d=1269596350

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Agreed, that would put me off getting this phone with meteor, understand its an exclusive but the desire will be out in the next few weeks so I'd just switch to whoever gets that first.

Yeah I think I'll just wait for the Desire now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

have been following these new HTC (legend and desire) phones on gizmodo and engadget over the past couple of months.
    i emailed vodafone (my current service provider) yesterday asking when they'd be available on their network.
    they got back to me saying they had forwarded my query onto marketing.
    so, now it turns out that the legend (which is my preference) is exclusive to meteor.

so, i'm now thinking, should i switch from vodafone to meteor just so i can get this phone?

i read up on the android OS and the android marketplace specifically (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Market) and i don't see ireland listed as a country where you can buy apps.
    yes, you can download the free ones but not purchase any apps. can somebody shed any light on this for me?

also, i've had no experience with meteor before - what is the general consensus on them? i've looked at their price plans and they seem pretty good - just don't wanna commit to an 18 month contract with my eyes closed.

a final thing, surely the desire will be exclusive to meteor aswell, right?

thanks.

I think the desire is confirmed for vodafone -thats what I've read on their forums anywho - defo been confirmed for uk but then again the legend was too. I think these "exclusives" can last a month before other carriers get them.

flynnduism - why don't you (since you are payg) - switch to o2 or vodagone payg for a €5 sim or some such then switch back to meteor as a "new" customer?? :D

so, vodafone support just called me back about my queries saying two things:

1. they have no plans to launch the HTC Legend on their network

&

2. they plan to launch the HTC Desire on their network over the coming months.

ronan

So after protesting their pricing, I managed to get a Legend from Meteor at the advertised price rather than the sneaky 'existing customer' price

4 days with the Legend, easily the best phone I've ever had.

The optical trackball works great and the phone is a nice solid feel to it with the metal casing (not heavy though).

Battery life has been ok so far, I'm using it pretty heavily for a couple of hours each day, browsing, listening to music, tweeting and playing around with apps and though it's run low by the end of the day; there's never been a fear of running out. Defo needs a nightly charge though.

One weird issue I'm having is that many apps are not showing up for me in the Android Marketplace - free apps that I have found on other Android handsets in Ireland, so baffled as to why. I read someplace that Android have been slow configuring the Legend, and the Marketplace doesn't acknowledge that it has a camera so makes camera-required apps unavailable? That doesn't explain some of the apps that I can't locate though.

Whatever the cause it's annoying, I cannot get my hands on these (going to see if I can find them as downloads outside of the Market):

Layar
    Swype
    Last.fm
    Spotify

good work for sticking to your guns re: price - glad you got sorted.
    so, are you connecting just thru Wi-Fi? and is it a pretty quick browsing experience?
    the one grey are for me are the Apps, i just wanna make sure that i won't be limited to what i can actually download.
    called into meteor in cork over the weekend but they didn't seem to have it.
    any issues with meteor coverage? i'm guessing not in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭YIA

I've seen this with some apps.
    I think the market only shows you apps that are "compatible" with your version of Android.
    I think it's really just a marker in the program.
    I've seen apps that were "only compatible" with 1.5 running fine on 1.6.
    Since the Legend is running Android 2.1 it possible that some apps aren't showing up.

No issues with it dropping after a 2G/3G handover??

flynnduism - just came across this re: swype:

Swype is also available for Android, in a preview version – although, at the moment, it only works with phones that have WVGA displays, like the Motorola Droid / Milestone.

I've been using WiFi sporadically, turning it on mainly when I'm at home and turning it off at work to save battery. WiFi is fine, no probs.

I was away in Leitrim for the weekend and the 3G coverage there was very patchy to say the least. Coverage in Dublin is grand

As I'm new to 3G, not sure what the dropoff issues are but I think I had one yesterday - my phone was showing no signal, and error came up saying no Sim card / select mobile operator. Was unsure how this happened, so rebooted the phone and then it was fine again - is this the infamous 2G/3G handover drop?

yeah flynnduism it is unfortunately. dang so this is happening with legend also?

more in this thread a few people are unhappy to say the least! I may have more info on this later.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055866591

Hmm, that's not good. If this is a reqular bug it'll get very annoying.
    I'll keep an eye on how often this occurs - so far has happened once in the last 4 and a half days.

Some info on the missing Apps in the Legend's Android Market:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=683d89c4f4fd4593&hl=en
    According to Layar, it's due to a camera issue: http://layar.com/layar-is-not-available-for-the-htc-legend-at-this-time/
    According to HTC: it's mainly due to a copyright issue

Answer I got from HTC about this:

"Regarding the Android Market place, all the mobile networks have to be clear with Google regarding with the Copyrights policy of each single application available in the Market. Once this is sorted then Google will link up the applications to the route server for each network. Unfortunately this is something that HTC doesn't have any control over the Google Market server."

Basically, they say it's google fault :) entirely :)

Helpful article to track down the missing apps:

http://www.sigridschrijft.be/index.php/how-to-find-and-install-android-apps-that-are-missing-in-the-market/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 James.m.c

flynnduism wrote: »
    I've been using WiFi sporadically, turning it on mainly when I'm at home and turning it off at work to save battery. WiFi is fine, no probs.

I was away in Leitrim for the weekend and the 3G coverage there was very patchy to say the least. Coverage in Dublin is grand

As I'm new to 3G, not sure what the dropoff issues are but I think I had one yesterday - my phone was showing no signal, and error came up saying no Sim card / select mobile operator. Was unsure how this happened, so rebooted the phone and then it was fine again - is this the infamous 2G/3G handover drop?

I'm sorry for your troubles.

At first you say to yourself that you can live with it, as the phone in general is class.

I said the same about the hero. Unreal phone, except for the loss of reception.

But it keeps happening. over and over.

Its the Meteor networks version of "Chinese water Torture"

It has slowly driven everyone a little crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SoaringEagle

flynnduism wrote: »
    So after protesting their pricing, I managed to get a Legend from Meteor at the advertised price rather than the sneaky 'existing customer' price

Hi flynnduism, I'm in the same situation as you were aobut the HTC pricing and just got off the phone with someone very unhelpful at Meteor and was wondering how you eventually got the phone at the advertised price. Thanks

Hi flynnduism, I'm in the same situation as you were aobut the HTC pricing and just got off the phone with someone very unhelpful at Meteor and was wondering how you eventually got the phone at the advertised price. Thanks

Went to the Meteor store to sign up for Bill Pay, and when the price was mentioned at €30 dearer than on the site, I explained that there was no mention of this price online and that seemed a bit unfair to their existing customers.

#1 The sales guy went for a chat with the manager to see if they could 'do anything for me' and came back adamant that they had to stick to the higher price, at which I thanked him for his time and left.

#2 Next day I repeated the same process in a different store, this time the salesman came back from the chat with the manager with the go ahead to give it at the rate they offer customers of other networks.

So it's a bit of a lottery - just stick to your guns, point out the flaws/unfairness of their pricing and look like you won't be buying if they charge you more than is fair.

It's not being sneaky, it's their pricing that's sneaky - argue this with the salesman and you should get your way.

Thanks flynnduism

I'm off to try my luck in Dundrum now!!!

I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cotts

good to see people on the meteor forum suggesting to upgrade the hero to the legend for all the trouble its been causing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 5euros

Hi I signed up to Meteor on Saturday to get the Legend - it's a beauty. However, I'm experiencing the dropped connection during the 2G/3G handshake as described on this and other forums.

I'm really gutted but I think I'll have to back with this phone because I can't tolerate dropped calls.

Went in yesterday to Dundrum to get the new Legend.

As I'm already pay as you go on meteor they wouldn't let me buy it at the porting over price and they don't have a manager present at the Dundrum store to talk to (or at least thats what they said) in the end i just wen't downstairs, joined three came back upstairs and got the phone at the porting over price.

The phone itself is a serious piece of kit and I'm really enjoying it so far, although it did drop a call on me earlier, but I'm willing to put this down to the fact that it had only just switched over. I'm going to switch it down to EDGE now anyway which should stop the problen (right?), the difference in speed isn't too noticeable, and I can live without being able to make video calls!!! Plus, I mostly use it off wifi because at the moment i'm only on the 250mb data package, I'll be upgrading after when I come back after summer to the unlimited :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Can anyone confirm that the Meteor Bill Pay version of the HTC Legend is unlocked. Oh and does the 3G/2G problem affect Vodafone's network or is it just Meteor's network.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

jwcurtin wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that the Meteor Bill Pay version of the HTC Legend is unlocked. Oh and does the 3G/2G problem affect Vodafone's network or is it just Meteor's network.
    Just bought the Legend earlier (from Meteor) and stuck in my Vodafone Sim and it turns out the Phone is Factory Unlocked. Woo!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Went in yesterday to Dundrum to get the new Legend.

As I'm already pay as you go on meteor they wouldn't let me buy it at the porting over price and they don't have a manager present at the Dundrum store to talk to (or at least thats what they said) in the end i just wen't downstairs, joined three came back upstairs and got the phone at the porting over price.

The phone itself is a serious piece of kit and I'm really enjoying it so far, although it did drop a call on me earlier, but I'm willing to put this down to the fact that it had only just switched over. I'm going to switch it down to EDGE now anyway which should stop the problen (right?), the difference in speed isn't too noticeable, and I can live without being able to make video calls!!! Plus, I mostly use it off wifi because at the moment i'm only on the 250mb data package, I'll be upgrading after when I come back after summer to the unlimited :D.

problem with 2g only is that, when you have data session active you are going to have missed calls/voicemails. metor 2g netork can't handle voice and data at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭atech

Hey, got the legend last week in Cork City and coverage is fine for the most part there so far.
    Down in parts of West Cork though, the reception seems to go sometimes and and I get a 'R' over the reception bar. I assume this means it is roaming?

As I am on bill pay, does that mean any calls, texts or internet I use will be charged extra to the price package??

If so is there anyway to stop it automatically roaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

atech wrote: »
    Hey, got the legend last week in Cork City and coverage is fine for the most part there so far.
    Down in parts of West Cork though, the reception seems to go sometimes and and I get a 'R' over the reception bar. I assume this means it is roaming?

As I am on bill pay, does that mean any calls, texts or internet I use will be charged extra to the price package??

If so is there anyway to stop it automatically roaming?

It is roaming on the Vodafone network. Meteor have an agreement with them to allow Meteor to use their network in certain areas where Meteor does not have coverage. No extra charge for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jojojnr

docentore wrote: »
    problem with 2g only is that, when you have data session active you are going to have missed calls/voicemails. metor 2g netork can't handle voice and data at the same time

Thought that issue was fixed???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

What network is the desire on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

The desire should be on meteor, vodafone and o2 in the coming months.

Also, meteor have now changed the price of the hero and legend on bill pay, the hero is now available from free to €69.99 and the legend from €39.99 to €119.99 :P

https://phones.meteor.ie/phones/

Advertisement