Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service your own car!

Options
  • 16-02-2010 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Just thought Id start this thread for people like me who have no clue about cars and because I have been searching the net all week looking for my car specs and any information. I have never serviced a car before. Maybe others can share their own cars to help people who dont like paying fortunes for basic servicing.

I have a Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec 2002. I bought the Oil (5W-30, required for Fords, instantly fixed my ignition problem), An Air filter and Oil filter (paper cartridge). All for €40 in a motor factors on the Drumcondra road..

I then bought an oil filter wrench in Lidl for €5.99. You also need a 15mm spanner and a philips head screwdriver, a car jack, a block, a sink basin, and some rags, gloves and maybe a friend in case of something going wrong.

Open the bonnet and open your oil cap, engine should be warm not hot.
    Jack up the car on the drivers side, put your block underneath the drivers door and jack up some more until you can comfortably fit under the front of the car on your back. The sump plug is under the drivers seat closer to the handbrake, its a 15mm nut that looks like its on a big pound coin sized washer (couldnt find it for about 20 mins, but when i did its pretty obvious). Open sump plug, may take some force but be careful not to wreck the nut, only use a spanner not an adjustable. When its loose'ish put your basin in front of it (it comes out quick) and carefully screw it off and move your hand in case its hot, and re adjust where the basin is to catch the oil (put newspaper down too). Move the block and let down the jack to let all the oil run out. Jack it back up and replace the sump plug, nice and tight.

The oil filter on this car is near the front, its a casing with the paper filter in side (the casing is the size of a can of coke). It screws off with your oil filter wrench, a few turns then carefully screw it with your hand with the basin directly underneath as it dumps out a pint of oil at once. Throw out old oil filter and clean the casing with a rag before putting in your new one, it push's into the casing. Screw the oil filter back on.

The air filter is simple, open the bonnet and its like a shoe box with a air tube going into it, screw off the screws and lift up the casing, take out the old dusty filter and simply push in your new one. Re screw and done..

Pull out the dip stick a little and pour 4 litres of your oil into the engine. Replace dipstick and start the car, a few revs and turn off for 5 mins. Dip to see the level, should be between min and max. Pour the old oil into your new oil can and bring it to the recycling centre free of charge.

And thats it! Sounds like alot but it only took 40 mins on my first attempt. Feel free to ask me questions or tell me what I did wrong but the car is running great since.

I USED BLOCKS BUT YOU SHOULD ALWAYS USE AXEL STANDS.

READ THIS BEFORE ATTEMPTING http://www.carbasics.co.uk/how_to_jack_up_a_car_safely.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just double check the oil filter after a few miles to make sure it hasn't come loose particularly if it was put on when the block was cold, Not too tight though.

If I were you I wouldn't be going under a car that is only supported by a jack, there has been a few instances of people getting killed/injured over the last while. I'm all for doing your own maintenance, I do most of the work on my own car, but do it safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

I have saved 1000's the past 10 years by servicing the cars myself. It's not a back ache for me I love doing it and at least i know it's been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

If I were you I wouldn't be going under a car that is only supported by a jack, there has been a few instances of people getting killed injured over the last while. I'm all for doing your own maintainence, I do most of the work on my own car, but do it safely.

+ 1
    Only a complete idiot would work under car supported only by a jack and a "block".. buy axle stands ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The sump plug is near the handbrake and drivers seat?

How does that work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If I were you I wouldn't be going under a car that is only supported by a jack, there has been a few instances of people getting killed injured over the last while. I'm all for doing your own maintenance, I do most of the work on my own car, but do it safely.
    Agreed and I wouldn't trust any car ramps or liting jacks purchased from Lidl or similar supermarkets either particularly if someone is using them on a heavy car like the Ford Modeo.

OP what did you do with the waste engine oil? You do know it has to be disposed of correctly? you failed to mention in your post!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

barney 20v wrote: »
    OP what did you do with the waste engine oil? You do know it has to be disposed of correctly? you failed to mention in your post!
    matsy1 wrote:
    Pour the old oil into your new oil can and bring it to the recycling centre free of charge.

hands up! missed it, probably in shock at reading about the dangerous method of jacking and securing the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah I don't agree with that either - one of the main reasons I've never serviced my own car is because I've never got around to buying axle stands!

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't agree with that either - one of the main reasons I've never serviced my own car is because I've never got around to buying axle stands!

I service my own cars and always have. A pair of good quality axle stands and a proper jack is all thats needed+wheel chocks.
    Most axle stands will hold 2000 kg...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

Wow... I used two huge cavity blocks and a very good hydraulic car jack, and rose it only an inch higher than them!! It was extremely safe, even the postman past a comment on it.. Dont jump the gun lads, jeez everybody looking for something bad to write.....

Thanks for the advice on the Oil filter mate..

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The sump plug is near the handbrake and drivers seat?

How does that work?

I mean like under the car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055422868

Taken from the handy links in the charter. Cavity blocks can split and crumble mate so if using them you should put a block of timber on top of them

hands up! missed it, probably in shock at reading about the dangerous method of jacking and securing the car!

Ha... Rent a row!

Onkle wrote: »

Taken from the handy links in the charter. Cavity blocks can split and crumble mate so if using them you should put a block of timber on top of them

Thanks mate, I did that too not because they'd crumble but because i didnt want to mark the car, i took some photos that I was going to post later...

I took me ages to write the post and didnt want to go on too much about safety, I presumed that most people would fully secure their cars.. I actually had two bricks as chocks aswell and wore gloves, had a breakfast for my concentration and did a few stretches so I wouldnt pull a muscle..:o

Onkle wrote: »

A block of timber will not stop Cavity blocks from breaking!
    I suggest you go purchase some decent axle stands........

A block of timber will not stop Cavity blocks from breaking!
    I suggest you go purchase some decent axle stands........

Ok. We all understand now. ONLY USE AXEL STANDS.. I will from now on, its not worth risking your life.

So Barney do you want to share how you service your car? No need to mention the safety aspect, I think we all concur. Just let the amateur know what and where the sump plug, filter's, type of oil etc.. The reason why I started the thread.

But again I do realise safety comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

matsy1 wrote: »
    I mean like under the car...
    but its nowhere near the handbrake, at least 2-3 feet from the handbrake

Ok. We all understand now. ONLY USE AXEL STANDS.. I will from now on, its not worth risking your life.

So Barney do you want to share how you service your car? No need to mention the safety aspect, I think we all concur. Just let the amateur know what and where the sump plug, filter's, type of oil etc.. The reason why I started the thread.

But again I do realise safety comes first.

Would it make you feel better if i was to start my own thread with my view on how to SAFELY service/work on a car?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Would you lot ever put the handbags away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, the point is that you said you used a 'car jack'. There are thousands of people reading this forum every day and most of them assume a car jack is the thing you have under your spare tyre in the boot.

Anyway, back to the servicing. I changed some brake lights for the first time yesterday, it was a lot easier then I thought. Really pays to plan the whole thing in advance though. Blown bulbs look just like new ones.

Does anyone know where the reverse light switch is on a Corsa/Meriva? I know it's somewhere near the gearbox underneath the car, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You tried the google? :pac:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060824144452AA4qYMC

Confab wrote: »
    OP, the point is that you said you used a 'car jack'. There are thousands of people reading this forum every day and most of them assume a car jack is the thing you have under your spare tyre in the boot.

Anyway, back to the servicing. I changed some brake lights for the first time yesterday, it was a lot easier then I thought. Really pays to plan the whole thing in advance though. Blown bulbs look just like new ones.

Does anyone know where the reverse light switch is on a Corsa/Meriva? I know it's somewhere near the gearbox underneath the car, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

Agreed and I wouldn't trust any car ramps or liting jacks purchased from Lidl or similar supermarkets either particularly if someone is using them on a heavy car like the Ford Modeo.

Just a quick note, all axle stands are designed to the same standards, and in fact due to the german origin of lidl and aldi, their axle stands may be designed to more strict standards (TUV for example).

Would it make you feel better if i was to start my own thread with my view on how to SAFELY service/work on a car?

I think the point is across, no need to keep on at the op. There are plenty of alternatives to axle stands also, Steel ramps, concrete ramps, even driving up on some good pieces of timber to raise the car which is what I usually do, although I am thinking of investing in something, possibly axle stands or else setting up the concrete slabs we used to use but these are very heavy and hard to move around.

I think the point is across, no need to keep on at the op.

Cheers..

Any one know how to replace front and back bulbs on the 02 Mondeo? Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Try the google :rolleyes:?
    Cheers..

Any one know how to replace front and back bulbs on the 02 Mondeo? Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

OP you never mentioned if you replaced the oil seals on the filter housing. These should always be replaced with new ones when you change the filter.

The petrol mondeo has a drain plug on the filter housing (6mm allen key) that drains all the oil out of the filter and housing which sves you from getting covered in oil when removing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

What you don't want to do is drain the transmission fluid..
    And then what you also don't want to do is fill up the oil (which you didn't drain) And then you also don't want to drive off and have your engine explode.

An independent garage will do it for a negligible fee and you will have some recourse if there is a problem. All I'm saying is make sure you know what you are doing because a lot of people don't have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What you don't want to do is drain the transmission fluid..
    And then what you also don't want to do is fill up the oil (which you didn't drain) And then you also don't want to drive off and have your engine explode.

An independent garage will do it for a negligible fee and you will have some recourse if there is a problem. All I'm saying is make sure you know what you are doing because a lot of people don't have a clue.

I would agree that if there is any difficulty finding the sump nut, it is best left to someone else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement